Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full Ironman in cork next year

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

You're still not answering me. I wasn't down there and I didn't race so I don't know what the issues where.

As had been said, many, many times in this thread right from the start. The weather and possibility of the swim being shortened or cancelled where always a risk. Anyone from Ireland who was shocked that this ended up happening, needs their head examined. You put your money down on an entry knowing this is a massive risk with this particular race.
    Swim being cancelled is a risk with any race at any location, particularly a sea swim. Should Ironman not take money from anyone because there might be bad weather on race day? Youghal had grand weather it seems on Saturday and Monday. This is just how it goes. Same could happen if you where racing in Australia.

Was stood next to a guy from UK when it was announced over tannoy that swim was cancelled... He went to Australia to do an Ironman and swim was cancelled cause a shark was spotted the day before, he then comes to Ireland for a 2nd go and swim is cancelled cause of weather.. felt very Sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Birdsong wrote: »
    This bit isn't true, the organisation's that were volunteering would have been paid per volunteer. My club stewarded at the Dublin event 2 years ago, used it as fundraising opportunity.

I heard that if a local club got 20 volunteers that 1000 contribution from Ironman. also contribution for flowers banners etc for villages that bike route passed through. However cork county council out in 500k for road repairs. Not anywherre near enough but would not have happened if it was not im branded.
    Doubt that IM out of pocket though all the same. Not too many for profit companies can get people to volunteer to do work for free!!!!
    Presume loads of learnings from organisers though for next year!! Very hard to organise something of that scale and to go smoothly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

nok2008 wrote: »
    I heard that if a local club got 20 volunteers that 1000 contribution from Ironman. also contribution for flowers banners etc for villages that bike route passed through. However cork county council out in 500k for road repairs. Not anywherre near enough but would not have happened if it was not im branded.

Not to mention all the other money that has come into local businesses not only over the weekend, but over the last 6 months with the volume of cyclists from other parts of Ireland descending on Youghal to test out the bike course - hotels, cafes, shops etc all benefiting.

peter kern wrote: »
    in all fainess you cant compare those 2 races and surely 1000 of the people that did cork would not like the hardman but iam sure 300 or so would , but until this year you had vitoria which had an amazing atmosphere and you still have tourseman ( they have a transiton tent that takes 4000 bikea and people for a tt start ...) ostseeman etc

the thing is even ostsseman which is an absoute amazing race sufferes from IM hamburg as people go for the brand i have no problem that for many hamburg is better but i am sad that there is not more people in tri that recognise that being and athlete at ostessman where you are treated as such, is worth less than being a number at an ironman race . there is 15 % after an iron an race that compain aoubt this and then they go back to the brand and then they will complain again ...., while the ostseeman would suit them more . but at the end they are pulled by the brand . and of course monopolies are not good

Both appeal to me for what they bring. Sometimes the big show is nice, it gets you fired up for the big race, there's a great atmosphere and excitement in the days leading up to the race and if you're a nervous traveller / travelling alone...you won't be alone for long going to a branded event. The volume of info to help you navigate to a foreign country / event is, in general, much greater for branded events.

Having said that, although i've only gone to 2 x branded. The non branded are appealing for what they bring too. The low key aspect, club feel, well organised etc would depend what I'm looking for for my specific race.

Branded middle distance is certainly not appealing. But again, if going to the continent, it just seems easier, whether alone or not...the branded event attracts crowds so if you want friends to go they're more likely to go for the branded event.

Marketing works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    however in the IMs I've done there was a good selection, lots of food and lots of drinks. And always beer.

IM lanzarote had 4 lads making paella in a 5 foot wide pan. and someone handing out beers while you waited . best paella ever*

(*it wasn't but at the time/circumstances....)

no excuse for not having good food at the end of a race. smaller local races in ireland will have super spreads afterwards, Hotw is on this weekend and always stuffs you afterwards, if you want

• Advertisement

this finger pointing at who is fault for the cancelled swim:

surely there is responsibility on both sides? if the average temperatures are rarely above the limit then yes Ironman should be factoring that in, but are the athletes absolved of all responsibilities? the data is as available to them as to IM, and they should be evaluating the risk just as much as IM, right?

in fiarness to both, as much of a mess as that race appears to have been, they did get a full swim in for the challenge galway race 2/3 years back, and that was in, wait for it....june.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

mossym wrote: »
    Hotw is on this weekend and always stuffs you afterwards, if you want

There is a race where the swim never seems to get cancelled. It is a bay with a reef on the outside but I remember big swells doing it about 11 years back. Big enough that breathing was on one side for sections of it and several bailed at the pier. But at least it was individuals own decision to bail.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

this finger pointing at who is fault for the cancelled swim:

surely there is responsibility on both sides? if the average temperatures are rarely above the limit then yes Ironman should be factoring that in, but are the athletes absolved of all responsibilities? the data is as available to them as to IM, and they should be evaluating the risk just as much as IM, right?

in fiarness to both, as much of a mess as that race appears to have been, they did get a full swim in for the challenge galway race 2/3 years back, and that was in, wait for it....june.

Swim was shortened in Galway. They had to pull in the buoy so it was in more sheltered part of the bay. I did the half and the swim was about 1200 to 1400, with the full doing two loops of that. But that was cut short due to chop rather than temperature.

jnk883 wrote: »
    Swim was shortened in Galway. They had to pull in the buoy so it was in more sheltered part of the bay. I did the half and the swim was about 1200 to 1400, with the full doing two loops of that. But that was cut short due to chop rather than temperature.

cheers, i stand corrected so, i thought they did the full swim.

cheers, i stand corrected so, i thought they did the full swim.

But their run was also at least 1km short for the half (so even more for the full) but I guess lets not resurrect that disaster of an event here :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

Anyone know why RTE never mentioned anything about the IM in Youghal? Concidering there was over 2000 entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

nokiatom wrote: »
    Anyone know why RTE never mentioned anything about the IM in Youghal? Concidering there was over 2000 entrants

Because it is not significant from a sporting perspective. There was a field of about 15 "pros" and 1985 participants. It is a for profit event that is not affiliated to the sports governing body. It is a great spectacle and event but not a significant sporting event. There are plenty of tris around Ireland that attract fields of several hundred participants that never get any coverage either. This is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

https://www.bbc.com/sport/triathlon/48742092

Although it is a British angle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

EC1000 wrote: »
    nokiatom wrote: »

Because it is not significant from a sporting perspective. There was a field of about 15 "pros" and 1985 participants. It is a for profit event that is not affiliated to the sports governing body. It is a great spectacle and event but not a significant sporting event. There are plenty of tris around Ireland that attract fields of several hundred participants that never get any coverage either. This is no different.

Yes but home come the BBC can put together a rudimentary article but RTE can't?

The Irish examiner had a half page article in its sport supplement directly after a head-melting 23 pages for GAA reporting. It was something at least. There was nothing in the Irish Times supplement. Yes other well attended races don't get coverage but what prospect does the growth of the sport face that even when the big bad circus triathlon company rolls into town that there is radio silence from the Dublin centric media? Does the likes of Bressie or some other D4 luvvie need to be in it for it to provoke an interest? Local coverage was excellent but it's interesting it was effectively snubbed.

on a side note, i think it's fair to say the growth of triathlon in ireland has passed.

but on the specific topic, the bbc were reporting on a win from their double olympic champion, brother of their two time olympic medallist, contender in the BBC personality of the year. he's known enough to have been on top gear.not sure anyone representing ireland was in the same category.

i do see your point though, bressie gets a show about bringing newbies to triathlon(one of whom was doing triathlon for several years beforehand), and this didn't get a mention, it's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

on a side note, i think it's fair to say the growth of triathlon in ireland has passed.

but on the specific topic, the bbc were reporting on a win from their double olympic champion, brother of their two time olympic medallist, contender in the BBC personality of the year. he's known enough to have been on top gear.not sure anyone representing ireland was in the same category.

i do see your point though, bressie gets a show about bringing newbies to triathlon(one of whom was doing triathlon for several years beforehand, and this didn't get a mention, it's not right.

Ah but Bressie suffered from depression. Don't forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

tunney wrote: »
    Ah but Bressie suffered from depression. Don't forget that.

Bressie's Mental health issues are irrelevant to the discussion. Triathlon clearly has an image problem preventing it from being adopted by a larger cohort of the sporting population.

The problem with long course triathlons is they arent spectator friendly plus, very few people can even get their heads around the physical scale of the task of completing a full distance triathlon. Ive only ever contemplated sprint triathlons myself because I just wouldnt have the desire to do a full ironman and I say that as a triathlon convert.

As far as the Dublin media not embracing triathlon is concerned, unfortunately this is a fact of life. All the big sporting events take place in the capital which just so happens to be the centre of government, business, entertainment etc I think unless you can convince the inhabitants of the capital city to buy in to something you are up against it as far as promotion of the sport of triathlon is concerned.

Id love to see the Superleague format come to this country. It offers spectators and viewers a bitesized version of what triathlon has to offer making it far more accessible to those who have no experience of triathlon. It would have to take place in Dublin and be embraced by the authorities but wouldnt cause the same infrastructural issues as a 70.3 with few road closures needed. Indeed Dun laoghaire would be perfect with their marina, it would offer a similar layout to what Superleague have done elsewhere.

I have attended several superleague competitions and have seen first hand how it can be a gateway to the sport of triathlon as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

'The problem with long course triathlons is they arent spectator friendly plus'

Lets be honest, none of them are spectator friendly. It is a niche sport and one that the majority of public look down on. I shy away from even talking about triathlon in most social circles.

valoren wrote: »
    Yes but home come the BBC can put together a rudimentary article but RTE can't?

The Irish examiner had a half page article in its sport supplement directly after a head-melting 23 pages for GAA reporting. It was something at least. There was nothing in the Irish Times supplement. Yes other well attended races don't get coverage but what prospect does the growth of the sport face that even when the big bad circus triathlon company rolls into town that there is radio silence from the Dublin centric media? Does the likes of Bressie or some other D4 luvvie need to be in it for it to provoke an interest? Local coverage was excellent but it's interesting it was effectively snubbed.

The numbers who participate in and are interested in GAA far exceed that of triathlon. As one of the people who participates and is interested in triathlon I wouldn't even have sought out coverage of Cork in national media. There are two reasons there as to why it is not covered.

Editing to add: I seem to recall that the IMs which Eimear Mullan won back before baby arrived where always covered by the media. It would be a very short snippet but they always covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

As we all know that there was always a " risk" having a full Ironman in Youghal. With weather and rough seas.

But there is always a risk with these events world wide, with many having to make changes due to weather etc.

And it looks like IM Nice is no different.
    I see that they had to make changes due to the weather there at the moment.
    The bike and run has been change to 152k on the bike and 30k run.

• Advertisement

Tunney pointed that out the other day. You can just as easily on the continent get a day where water is warm and you are without a wetsuit which is as much of a horror for a huge portion of IM entrants as choppy seas are. Again, strong swimmers relish that.
    Weather in Nice would kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Tunney pointed that out the other day. You can just as easily on the continent get a day where water is warm and you are without a wetsuit which is as much of a horror for a huge portion of IM entrants as choppy seas are. Again, strong swimmers relish that.
    Weather in Nice would kill me!

Austria in 2012 prime example, no wetsuit and 38c to 40c on the bike and run course..

I also done 70.3 in Lisbon a few years ago in similar condition to last Sunday

Them's the risks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Haven't been online since the race. Chapeau to anyone wh competed, that was one of the most miserable days I've ever seen for racing. That 2-leg IM was tougher than 90% of 3 leg IM's.

Personally, IM Youghal is never something I want to do just for the reason of the chance of last week's weather, but seeing the continued success of IM Bolton and IM Wales, there's clearly a market for it. A good weather day next year and it'll be flying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Was just reading about Ironman Tallinn.
    The day before the race the water tested at 11 degrees which would have meant they would have had to cancel the swim.
    But they didn't, instead they found a lake 3 miles away and tested the water temperature there, brought in necessary equipment to clear for the bike out and then relocated T1 and all the race start equipment.

Maybe the organizers of IM Cork should be looking at something like this for next year with a high chance of the swim getting shortened due to low water temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

PWEI wrote: »
    Was just reading about Ironman Tallinn.
    The day before the race the water tested at 11 degrees which would have meant they would have had to cancel the swim.
    But they didn't, instead they found a lake 3 miles away and tested the water temperature there, brought in necessary equipment to clear for the bike out and then relocated T1 and all the race start equipment.

Maybe the organizers of IM Cork should be looking at something like this for next year with a high chance of the swim getting shortened due to low water temperatures.

Water temperature was unusually low for the time of year. A month before hand it had been as high as 14.2 and a week after the event it had gone up to 18. There aren't any lakes within range of youghal to move it to either.

From Ironman Ireland twitter:

"We are excited to announce that we have some big changes coming for IRONMAN Ireland, Cork 2020... Course changes ��
    On Dec 4th we are 200 days from the second edition and will revel all then, so stay tuned! "

https://twitter.com/IRONMAN_Ireland/status/1200353711681261568?s=20

new course, transition etc announced today, should have an email

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Triathlon Taren is going this year!

Advertisement