Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are plastic bottles safe , BPA , etc ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

Cans and tins contain a lining of EPA on their interior. Apparently you blood conc of BPA goes up by 500 after a soda drink.

Plastic bottles with recycling triangles 1 and 2, I'm guessing, are relatively harmless. But BPA is the main one to avoid. I think it's been banned in places (or something) since I became aware of it nearly 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

One article gives facts and says it's okay..... the other gives an opinion based on limited information with little if any facts (some of which were debunked in the first article - baby bottles).
    There are worse risks out there......

I don't like the way you've spaces between the end of your words, and the commas. WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If getting metal drinking containers make sure they're not alluminum, just stainless steel.

Plastics with Bisphenol A (BPA, xenoestrogen) will also become more unstable with high/low temperature extremes, and repeated usage.

Plenty of other stuff to be aware of also for similar reasons e.g. Lavender & Tea Tree oils (endocrine/hormone disruptors), and that 'Soy' latte is not so good for similar reasons.

Seperately another 'more general' common heath risk food item is Crisps,
    very high in Acrylamide - A recent study found 6 brands of salted and c&o crisps, up to double the acceptable standard 2214UG/KG.

Plenty of other stuff to be aware of also for similar reasons e.g. Lavender & Tea Tree oils (endocrine/hormone disruptors), and that 'Soy' latte is not so good for similar reasons.
    I use nizorel for my dandruff. I hope it isn't bad?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is there BPA in hydrodare piping?
    Or in the much heavier plastic piping used in mains water distribution?
    If there Is, the sup of water you consume in bottles is a minor concern.

I use nizorel for my dandruff. I hope it isn't bad?!

Only in high doses, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoconazole
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Is there BPA in hydrodare piping?
    Or in the much heavier plastic piping used in mains water distribution?
    If there Is, the sup of water you consume in bottles is a minor concern.

But bottles are more subject to uv exposure, damage, bending, crinkling and temperature extremes which breaks them down much faster.

Better plastic piping, than old fashioned lead flavoured mad hatter tea parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

As above we used to drink from lead pipes. Some of us still do. Worrying about plastic bottles is just going to make you go mad. Your water is delivered to your house in plastic piping. Your pump in your well probably has plastic parts the water in the ocean these days is probably more plastic than water. What do you want to die of? Somethings going to get you eventually.

As above we used to drink from lead pipes. Some of us still do.
    And yet most of us were against water charges, and here we remain without water infrastructure. And we think it's the Americans who are dumb.
    Your pump in your well probably has plastic parts
    And you think all this has nothing to do with falling sperm counts.
    the water in the ocean these days is probably more plastic than water. What do you want to die of?
    You might want to rephrase that one.
    Somethings going to get you eventually.
    The later the better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As above we used to drink from lead pipes. Some of us still do. Worrying about plastic bottles is just going to make you go mad. Your water is delivered to your house in plastic piping. Your pump in your well probably has plastic parts the water in the ocean these days is probably more plastic than water. What do you want to die of? Somethings going to get you eventually.

The pump in my well is stainless steel, and the impeller is bronze.
    There's 220 feet of 1 1/4 hydrodare up the bore to the pressure vessel, plus about 350 feet to the kitchen.
    The real difference is that the water is not treated in any way.
    My neighbour worked in the local water treatment plant, at the reservoir .
    He was so worried about the amount of chemicals being used to purify the water that he had his own well bored.
    He was particulary concerned with the amount of Chromium and Aluminium, his late father had suffered from Altzheimers and he wanted to reduce his families intake of such compounds.
    To get a typical well bored, with pump, piping, controls and pressure vessel, underground armoured cable and a small pumphouse will run you about 5000 euro, depending on the depth you need to go.

• Advertisement

Surely in terms of piped water, a basic (5-stage) very cheap 'end of line' filter is going to take out 99% of stuff.
    If you really wanted to go to town on Water, look up 432/528MHz, Hexagon Restructuring, and all that fancy jazz.

So not much of an issue compared to BPA in food/drinks, Acrylamide, Essential Oils, Nano-Lotions n' Potions.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

I don't like the way you've spaces between the end of your words, and the commas. WTF

I'm not sure about what point you're making. We use spaces after all words, unless followed by a punctuation. I didn't use any commas either.

The human body can deal with a lot of chemicals, most pass through or are metabolised. After that it's salespeople exploiting fear or paranoia. Until a decade ago we went to pubs filled with toxic smoke which we all knew was bad for us but it's all about dosage and duration.

Regarding pipes, think of all the water passing through them and the likely diffusion rates of any leachable chemicals. It's tiny, if even detectable, otherwise you'd see the pipes eroding and falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You can get water bottles with glass casing.

Or Just drink less water... now there's another myth.

Plastic is bad for the environment anyway. Glass is the way backward.

Advertisement