Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fake watch busters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

893bet wrote: »
    I am always suspicious of people whose adds are characterised by bikes/phones/TVs. Very liquid items easily transported!
    Tv's without remote controls are a giveaway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Tv's without remote controls are a giveaway :)

https://www.adverts.ie/13216309

Lol

And the below......found it.......yeah nacker confirmed

https://www.adverts.ie/13117750

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Thats back up for sale now
    https://www.adverts.ie/15411850

The seller turned down €650 he’s mad as a hatter after only paying €200

I am asking a few questions about that one. Hate the thought of someone profiting from a stolen watch if that is the case.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I am asking a few questions about that one. Hate the thought of someone profiting from a stolen watch if that is the case.

I'm keeping an overwatch on that one too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭The_Guvnor

Hmmm

I met the seller of that piece once. I was selling a piece and he came to view it, well at least that was what he wanted to do on the phone. But when he arrived he had no interest in buying my piece, but instead tried to sell me his Noob factory fake Submariner. He seems to deal in both cars and watches, usually making low-ball offers on multiple ads on Adverts.ie
    Personally I would not deal with him, neither buying nor selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I love searching Oris on Adverts, the amount of tat you find from India is unreal :eek:

Sellers of these watches should have to prove authenticity and movement shots, they are just scamming unsuspecting buyers.

PRVFMS0l.jpg

pAzNsdNl.jpg

woTRqH6l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Lately a lot of those repainted Oris frankenwatches are being sold out of the uk as well, for hugely inflated prices to boot. And never a pic of the movement!

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Lately a lot of those repainted Oris frankenwatches are being sold out of the uk as well, for hugely inflated prices to boot. And never a pic of the movement!

What are they based on HMT?
    Shocking dials. I can't believe anyone would buy them. But as the saying goes; a fool and his money are easily parted. I suppose there is always someone that thinks they have found a Swiss made piece in India. Favre Leuba and Seiko 5 seem to be other brands they favour faking in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Now I don’t claim to be an expert on seiko but this made me chuckle

https://www.adverts.ie/15557183

Oh that doesn't look right

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

2shea wrote: »
    Oh that doesn't look right

I know zero about vintage Seikos, what was off about that one?

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    I know zero about vintage Seikos, what was off about that one?

The finish looked very poor even for a vintage. Main that I noticed was "Automatic" was written crooked on the dial. But then again I own a lot of modern day Seiko watches and they are still finding it hard to get things to line up straight :rolleyes:

2shea wrote: »
    The finish looked very poor even for a vintage. Main that I noticed was "Automatic" was written crooked on the dial. But then again I own a lot of modern day Seiko watches and they are still finding it hard to get things to line up straight :rolleyes:

I am amazed that anyone would purchase a Seiko piece from India. When modern Seiko 5 pieces can be purchased from Amazon.co.uk at very reasonable prices; often under £100. If one fancies a vintage Seiko piece, there are plenty of EU based sellers on Ebay etc; with excellent feedback; so one doesn't need to take the risk. I have owned HMT pieces which were excellent; and that is the only brand I would consider purchasing from India. Agreed on the modern Seiko quality issues. I cannot believe the chapter ring alignment issues still persist on the Turtle SRP77 series. Ironically the cheaper Seiko 5 series and SXX007's don't seem to have the same problems as much. K (Malaysia) made seem to be as good or better than the J (Japan) made ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Now I don’t claim to be an expert on seiko but this made me chuckle

https://www.adverts.ie/15557183

As VostokIreland said, this looks like one of the hundreds of seikos you see for sale on ebay from india. I've been looking a lot lately for a couple of HMT's and I see hundreds of seikos like this. If you really want one, go to ebay and search for vintage automatic watch, you'll see loads of stuff from india, and lots for around €10.
    VostokIreland, I'm guessing guys in india are buying lots of broken cheap old watches, cleaning them up and using HMT or other cheap movements or cheap repairs? I can't imagine them running for long. Lots of citizens too.

From my research, forget about almost anything form India, Pakistan or Malaysia

Cienciano wrote: »
    As VostokIreland said, this looks like one of the hundreds of seikos you see for sale on ebay from india. I've been looking a lot lately for a couple of HMT's and I see hundreds of seikos like this. If you really want one, go to ebay and search for vintage automatic watch, you'll see loads of stuff from india, and lots for around €10.
    VostokIreland, I'm guessing guys in india are buying lots of broken cheap old watches, cleaning them up and using HMT or other cheap movements or cheap repairs? I can't imagine them running for long. Lots of citizens too.

From my research, forget about almost anything form India, Pakistan or Malaysia

Well I wouldn't totally rule out Malaysia as the SEiko SKX007 K series are made there. But agreed, used pieces from there are buyer beware. India is a great source of used HMT's; just as Russia is for Vostok. But for any other brands I think its safer to buy from EU sellers with excellent feedback on Ebay.
    Also agree that most of these Frankenwatch fakes are Citizen based; due to the HMT movements being based on Citizen. I think they sold them the tooling you see. I quite fancy another Sona actually, as the dial texture is lovely on them. Lovely slim vintage case size on them for a dress watch too.
    Which is your favourite HMT piece?

A Day-Date with no day complication. Quartz. I wonder how much he paid the looky looky man on the beach in Santa Ponsa for it?
    Shocking piece altogether.

https://www.adverts.ie/14352705

Prob not fake but asking price is lol! Enough stretch to wear on upper arm.

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/14352705

Prob not fake but asking price is lol! Enough stretch to wear on upper arm.

Real. But agreed the bracelet is stretched. Also with no box nor papers it is overpriced. If what the seller says is true, her 4K auction bid was overpriced too.
    One would expect box and papers for that price.
    Rule number one; never buy a Rolex piece without box and papers. No exceptions.
    None of us are ever going to be in the market for Paul Newman's Daytona, a Comex, or 5517 Milsub etc. And these are the very high end pieces that one wouldn't expect to see box and papers included with. But for Datejusts etc, I consider it mandatory.

Serious stretch on the bracelet alright
    Dreamer of the year with the price
    Nothing wrong with not having box and papers on a Rolex either if you know what you’re doing and it’s easy to get them verified if in any doubt

Box and paper are not just for provenance of a piece.
    One must look at resale value, and future investment potential.
    A piece with box and papers will be worth much more in the future than one without.
    Look at the 60's Rolex GMT Master on Antiques Roadshow (Youtube) as an example of why box and paper are so important.
    One needs to take the long view with Rolex, value of one's piece when one's son inherits it in 50 years etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not exactly fakes, but dubious descriptions to bump prices and this goes on a lot, though eBay is way worse for it. The Adverts dudes have removed the "Nazi/SS watch fakes that used to be all over the place, so kudos there.

Post war dress watch from the same company, but not a Kriegsmarine military watch.

Mine for comparison.

453786.jpg

A real one can often be had for around the 300 - 400 squids mark. Auctions though, not from dealers on Chrono24. Actually these come up often enough from usually to be avoided places like Ukraine and Russia. War booty and that. If you know what to look for. If the Adverts one tickled your fancy, here's one in better nick for 125 quid. Correctly described.

Not military either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs, do you think the same goes on with CWC G10 and RN divers respectively.
    Civilian ones sold as MOD issued ones?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not so much, unless advertised as issued. They're the exact same watch at least. The above example isn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Rolex "man watch" eh? :D Yep as fake as a hooker's smile.

Illegal yeah OG, but at least for a nice change they straight out say it's a "replica".

I am still amazed people want to buy this crap and the spend over €200 is madness

But but but ... it had a genuine replica box!

("genuine replica" is one of my favourite phrases, I have to admit :) )

It’s back again

Not any more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/replica-rolex-men-watch/19094444

I feel ill.

"proper Ceramic Insert"

"screw fix links"

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/replica-rolex-men-watch/19094444

I feel ill.

"proper Ceramic Insert"

"screw fix links"

The original Rolex display case back lools great though

Serious stretch on the bracelet alright
    Dreamer of the year with the price
    Nothing wrong with not having box and papers on a Rolex either if you know what you’re doing and it’s easy to get them verified if in any doubt

Rule number one.
    Never buy a Rolex without box and papers.
    Why?
    Watch this video, and learn why box and papers are so important in the future.
    120 USD in 1960 to 65-70K+ USD 55 years later.
    It is not just a case of verifying authenticity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olawVhNhJqw

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Rule number one.
    Why?

Same with any of the big brands, you’ll get absolutely hammered on resale without the box and papers. Although with Omega if you order a replacement box from somewhere and get the original chrono cert from Omega you might be ok

• Advertisement

Rule number one.
    Why?

No problem with a Rolex loose if price reflect that.

Prefer an unpolished well maintain Rolex loose than a poorly polished, unmaintained one with papers etc. Papers are only a small factor.

You sell more for profit than I do perhaps that's a different in perspectives.

Advertisement