Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Nelson Cruz slipped on the dugout steps during last night's game and sprained his ankle,this team just can't catch a break!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Really miss the nightly Baseball tonight once a week just isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nelson Cruz slipped on the dugout steps during last night's game and sprained his ankle,this team just can't catch a break!.

But still.... I CHI RO! I CHI RO!

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/432686/ichiro-finds-old-time-religion-with-hr-robbing-catch-for-mariners/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ShyMets wrote: »
    Swarzak left the Mets game with oblique soreness. And so it begins

And not turning up for Sunday afternoon games is carrying over from 2017 too it seems.

1-2-3 1st inning for Ohtani in his first start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Joe Kelly with a nervy save to make up for Day 1 defeat against the Rays.

1-2-3 1st inning for Ohtani in his first start.

Followed up by giving up a 3 run HR in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Followed up by giving up a 3 run HR in the second.
    Yea, it was a bit of a batting practice pitch...centre of the plate, asking to be hit. This is my first time watching him, looks like he has some great stuff though...

Coeus wrote: »
    Yea, it was a bit of a batting practice pitch...centre of the plate, asking to be hit. This is my first time watching him, looks like he has some great stuff though...

Apart from that one blip, he was pretty good. Some of his pitches were great to watch. Leaves with the lead anyway.

He looks so young as well, much younger than 23 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Apart from that one blip, he was pretty good. Some of his pitches were great to watch. Leaves with the lead anyway.

He looks so young as well, much younger than 23 anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how he is used going forward. He only DH'd in the first game, didn't play Friday or Saturday.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »

I was there for that and it was AMAZING. It looked completely gone , but what a play by Ichiro to first get there in time and then time the jump perfectly. He also went 2 for 4!

It's still pretty early days but there's a swagger about this Mariners team that I haven't seen this early on in the season before. Even yesterday when they went 4-0 down after 1 inning against a very good Indians team they never completely felt out of it. Today's was another good one, coming back from 2-0 down to win. And they were without Gamel, Zunino and Cruz today.

In the last three games vs. Blue Jays, Stanton and Judge have a combined 1 for 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

In the last three games vs. Blue Jays, Stanton and Judge have a combined 1 for 20.

It's going to be a case of feast or famine with those two. Still think they're going to end up hitting a crazy amount of Home Runs between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

It'll be interesting to see how he is used going forward. He only DH'd in the first game, didn't play Friday or Saturday.

His performance was uneven. But there was enough there to suggest that he can pitch at this level.

The jury is still out as to wheater he can be an effective DH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I'm gonna give the Judge and Stanton situation a few weeks before I overreact

I'm gonna give the Judge and Stanton situation a few weeks before I overreact

Ah come on, overreacting after 1 series is what makes baseball fans great....!!!!

I'd imagine callers on NY Sports Radio today will be calling for Judge to be sent to the minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I was there for that and it was AMAZING. It looked completely gone , but what a play by Ichiro to first get there in time and then time the jump perfectly. He also went 2 for 4!

It's still pretty early days but there's a swagger about this Mariners team that I haven't seen this early on in the season before. Even yesterday when they went 4-0 down after 1 inning against a very good Indians team they never completely felt out of it. Today's was another good one, coming back from 2-0 down to win. And they were without Gamel, Zunino and Cruz today.
    Having watched all 3 mariners games this weekend ,I am quietly optimistic ,we are already mashing home runs ,playing good defense ,getting great pitching and some of our best guys are on the shelf.I feel the A.l west could be quite good this year .

Rays/Yankees off today due to snow.

No word on Mets/Phillies yet although here's Citi Field at 9am local time this morning

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/980791438354079745

Ah come on, overreacting after 1 series is what makes baseball fans great....!!!!

I'd imagine callers on NY Sports Radio today will be calling for Judge to be sent to the minors.

Or maybe calling for Boone to be sacked - he intentionally walked Josh Donaldson to get to Smaok, only for Smoak to hit a grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Or maybe calling for Boone to be sacked - he intentionally walked Josh Donaldson to get to Smaok, only for Smoak to hit a grand slam.

I was gonna mention that earlier.. Such a poor error.. But he's lucky it was this early in the season

• Advertisement

Blue Jays have now won 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Blue Jays have now won 3 in a row.

And are a game over .500. That happened zero times last year. Not once! They look in much better shape. 5 good starters, very nice bullpen, great defense and plenty of hitting. Should be in the WC shake-up.

Btw did anyone see Kevin Pillar's triple steal?! Including of home? Amazing. Would have probably been thrown out only for a wild pitch but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭boccy23

Live baseball on the way to work this morning.

Dbacks and Dodgers in xtra innings.

Nice win for the Dbacks. Took Jansen for 3 runs in 9th to extend the game.

6 innings of 1 run ball. There’s life in Bartolo yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wednesday's Mets/Phillies will be on Facebook Watch at 1:10pm EST/6:10 Ireland time. Hopefully we'll be able to see it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

I was gonna mention that earlier.. Such a poor error.. But he's lucky it was this early in the season

Do you think he's giving the 'ol' we liked the match up for Robinson against smoak' chestnut because he got caught out or could they actually have liked it and are happy to test it out early in the season. Or am I just being naive!!

Either way he's getting hammered and I suppose rightly so when smoak had gone yard earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Doogs27 wrote: »

Do you think he's giving the 'ol' we liked the match up for Robinson against smoak' chestnut because he got caught out or could they actually have liked it and are happy to test it out early in the season. Or am I just being naive!!

Either way he's getting hammered and I suppose rightly so when smoak had gone yard earlier on.

I know it's Donaldson but yeah, it was a big mistake. Smoak may be flying under the radar league-wise but he hit 40 dingers last years. He'd already hit a homer in the game, and JD has been playing with a supposed dead-arm. You gotta pitch to Donaldson in that situation.

Doogs27 wrote: »

Based on the stats available, it was probably the right choice to pitch to Smoak. But it was these kinds of decisions that got Girardi the reputation he got (the binder with arms and legs).

Encarnacion got an inside the park home run yesterday. No parrot though.

https://www.mlb.com/news/edwin-encarnacion-hits-inside-the-park-homer/c-270579166

• Advertisement

Advertisement