Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crossbow laws

• 13-09-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

What happens if you already own a crossbow without the license? Do you have to surrender it to the local?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Nearly sure its classed in the same bracket as a shotgun you can get a license for one if you have a genuine reason for having one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

get a licence or sell it to someone in the UK are your main options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Muttmongrel

get a licence or sell it to someone in the UK are your main options.

Would i be able to keep it until the license comes through or would i have to give it up until i get the license

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

sell it and buy a compound bow because yes, you would have to hand it in as if it were an unlicensed gun because thats what its considered as. take to the superintendant first before bringing it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It's classified as a RESTRICTED FIREARM under our stupid Irish gun laws.
    IOW you might as well as apply for a multi-shot shotgun, a centre fire handgun or a semi-auto rifle[They have all restricted firearms here]. So you have an unlicensed firearm and the penalties for owning such is pretty severe. [5years jail time max].
    I would suggest .. but this is just me...[1]Shut up and shift it out of the ROI to the UK or NI [2] destroy it totally and shut up
    Going to the Guards and dropping it into a dealer, is, of course, the right way, but can get you a grilling that isn't pleasant.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement