Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The McGuigans BBC 1, May 17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Morrison J wrote: »
    Jamie Moore to be Frampton's new trainer apparently.

Is Jamie Moore still involved with MGM/ MTK???

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That is a really good film to watch.

I was saying it for years, that Barry's Vegas performance was probably the gutsiest and greatest displays of courage and heart and toughness ever seen in a ring. Delighted to hear Barry and Fr. D'Arcy echo this.

His actual boxing performance was superb,. Fought his heart out and boxed and fought exceptionally well under those conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I see Frampton has signed on with the cartel now, shameful move hope he doesnt win another fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Gamebred wrote: »
    I see Frampton has signed on with the cartel now, shameful move hope he doesnt win another fight.

Im amazed this isnt reported on more. Said person is openly reported as a leading member of a drugs gang, openly reported as being a senior member of MTK, yet the media never seem to link the two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When Paddy Barnes signed with them there was a bit or a stir in the media about it, though that could have been down to people on social media commenting on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Fully agree

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder will Carl fly to Dubai to meet the man in question, as said guy can't go to the gym anymore. If he is innocent, as Paddy Barnes suggested, in defense of his signing to MTK, why is this? Has he developed a fear of flying?

pac_man wrote: »
    Sounds like some on here won't be supporting the vast majority of Irish Pro boxers?

Nope, hope they all have horrid careers if their involved with a criminal cartel responsible for murders and drug problems in our own city never mind across europe, the MTK money will run dry the minute the honchos in Dubai are nailed by justice or rivals and there wont be any management teams.

Have you concrete evidence to suggest that Frampton will receive "dirty money"? Last time I checked, he signed a management deal and Matthew Macklin will manage him.

Nice try, I aint biting have a good evening.

the MTK money will run dry the minute the honchos in Dubai are nailed by justice or rivals and there wont be any management teams.

They won't be nailed by justice so long as they stay in Dubai. Pacman, to answer your question, i won't support a boxer who signs to a gym/promotion that was established and funded by you know who. It matters not that said individual has taken a step back in the running of MTK.
    You seem to have no problem with this. Maybe your angle is that boxing has always had shady associations/dealings with unsavoury types.

• Advertisement

What I would question is that if people are critical of guys signing up to MTK, do they play the same moral highground to past fighters? We only had a well respected fighter that died yesterday but had dealings of corruption in the past. Or how about fighters associated with Don King? Is their opinions consistent or do they have a selective moral compass?

I can't speak for others, but i was never a fan of mafia involvement in boxing or Don King or boxers who knowingly associated with such people.
    We can all choose to look away, or say sure i am only doing this to do put food on the table.

I am sure the owners of dark websites that facilitate immoral as well as illegal activities, justify it on the basis that they are just doing their job and providing a service.
    As for Frampton, he has even less excuse, he has already accumulated far more wealth than the average man, and it's not as if he did not have other options.

Personally, i would not want to have any dealings with an organisation that has blood on its hands and has caused misery for others. Frampton and Barnes think differently. As do you and morrison J.

You may make the point that just through everyday living we support morally dubious individuals or organisations, if we do so knowningly, then, yes, that is hypocritical, if we make a stand on MTK, but turn a blind eye to the other examples of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone know what has gone wrong at the McGuigan camp? Cummings has parted ways with them today, while no world beater he is a decent prospect. He joins Frampton and Haye, two high profile departures from a once very promising stable of fighters.

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone know what has gone wrong at the McGuigan camp? Cummings has parted ways with them today, while no world beater he is a decent prospect. He joins Frampton and Haye, two high profile departures from a once very promising stable of fighters.

I think Haye might be a different story. He was trained by McGuigan but that's it. He didn't look great against Bellew even before his injury, so I'd guess a change of trainer is his way of explaining / moving on from the loss.

The others were managed by Barry as well, so I'd guess there is something more to it than that.

I feel sorry for Shane in all this . Caught in an awkward situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I feel sorry for Shane in all this . Caught in an awkward situation .

Whats the story with Shane now? he seems a good trainer but he's losing them because of the bustups. Has he got anyone decent besides Groves?

Boooourns wrote: »
    Whats the story with Shane now? he seems a good trainer but he's losing them because of the bustups. Has he got anyone decent besides Groves?

Josh Taylor looks like he could win a World Title

Josh Taylor looks like he could win a World Title

Him and many others.....

Juts can't take a lot of these "world" titles seriously anymore.

In fairness to Taylor he will have to earn it with Bud being the undisputed champ in that division

In fairness to Taylor he will have to earn it with Bud being the undisputed champ in that division

Maybe not - recent history has shown that as soon as an undisputed champion is crowned, the powers that be seem to find a way to release some of the belts pretty much immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Crawford is going to move up to 147 and make the belts a free for all in 1/2 fights time anyway. To be fair to Taylor, going off the eye test I think he's of the standard to be a legit world champion anyway. He's very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Has any rumours sufaced of the split between Frampton and Shane? I was listening to Bunces podcast where they had an interview with Shane and while he said he'd cherish the memories they made in the ring..he was asked if he would talk to Carl again and he gave a quick answer of No.
    No doubt something serious went on, i think it's obvious Carls head was turned by the financial package offered and i think the Mcguigans promotional side of things comes across a bit amatuerish at times but the fallout has been big from this one, they did after all bring him right to the top.
    I've always liked the way Frampton has come across as a lad but i thought he got very petty with a recent tweet where he said he was finally enjoying his gym work again and then he was at it by claiming his card was the biggest to happen in Ireland. Maybe i'm reading too much into it but i've just gone off him a bit especially signing up with you know who.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Has any rumours sufaced of the split between Frampton and Shane? I was listening to Bunces podcast where they had an interview with Shane and while he said he'd cherish the memories they made in the ring..he was asked if he would talk to Carl again and he gave a quick answer of No.
    No doubt something serious went on, i think it's obvious Carls head was turned by the financial package offered and i think the Mcguigans promotional side of things comes across a bit amatuerish at times but the fallout has been big from this one, they did after all bring him right to the top.
    I've always liked the way Frampton has come across as a lad but i thought he got very petty with a recent tweet where he said he was finally enjoying his gym work again and then he was at it by claiming his card was the biggest to happen in Ireland. Maybe i'm reading too much into it but i've just gone off him a bit especially signing up with you know who.

You could make the argument that Frampton elevated Shane to the top also. He certainly wouldnt be a world title winning coach today if Frampton hadnt given him a shot, which was a risky move at the time

I think it's pretty clear from the outside looking in that the McGuigan's have done the dirty on Frampton financially in some manner. Paddy Barnes has alluded to it a number of times since the split.

If anything Frampton is showing a lot of class by not throwing them under the bus entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think it's pretty clear from the outside looking in that the McGuigan's have done the dirty on Frampton financially in some manner. Paddy Barnes has alluded to it a number of times since the split.

If anything Frampton is showing a lot of class by not throwing them under the bus entirely.

I don't think it's clear at all.

I like both sides here and have already mentioned how disappointed I am about the whole split. I think Carl was offered more than he was getting and he accepted. I suppose it's hard to blame him if he did but it's very understandable if the McGuigan's aren't happy about it.

megadodge wrote: »
    I don't think it's clear at all.

I like both sides here and have already mentioned how disappointed I am about the whole split. I think Carl was offered more than he was getting and he accepted. I suppose it's hard to blame him if he did but it's very understandable if the McGuigan's aren't happy about it.

The offers were only coming in after the split though.

If you read between the lines on Twitter it does becomes pretty clear imo. Paddy Barnes has accused the McGuigan's of "feeding their family off Carl's money" and called them "thieves".

All speculation like but obviously Barnes would know the full story and putting two and two together it seems pretty clear there's been a lack of loyalty somewhere down the line which is a massive shame. I've always liked both sides too.

Paddy Barnes should be banned from Twitter and social media..

Anyone using Paddy as a gauge here, holy fook. Calling people thieves?

Who’s he dealing with at the moment for his pro career?

walshb wrote: »
    Paddy Barnes should be banned from Twitter and social media..

Anyone using Paddy as a gauge here, holy fook. Calling people thieves?

Who’s he dealing with at the moment for his pro career?

Not really relevant to this discussion.

He isn't going to be labelling the McGuigan's this kind of stuff for the craic is he? It all adds up.

Not really relevant to this discussion.

He isn't going to be labelling the McGuigan's this kind of stuff for the craic is he? It all adds up.

No surprise you have no issue with people’s names and reputations pissed on willy nilly..

And it’s very relevant to the discussion seeing as you brought Paddy into it.

I hope the McGuigan’s stand firm here and nail him for those desperately “libelous” claims.

And it all adds up? Really, how’s that?

Oh, how is it obvious that Paddy would know the full story? Where do you pull this from?

Btw,

Is it verified that Barnes said those things about the McGuigan’s?

I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt here...

I am taking your word on it for now.

It appears, from my research that Barnes “liked” posts that accused the McGuigan’s of being thieves..

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    No surprise you have no issue with people’s names and reputations pissed on willy nilly..

And it’s very relevant to the discussion seeing as you brought Paddy into it.

I hope the McGuigan’s stand firm here and nail him for those desperately “libelous” claims.

And it all adds up? Really, how’s that?

Oh, how is it obvious that Paddy would know the full story? Where do you pull this from?
    The question was asked if there are any rumours. That's what I've provided. Nothing I've stated is fact. I said speculation. Chill.

It's not relevant at all. We're talking about the relationship between the McGuigan's and Frampton. Obviously Paddy Barnes as one of Framptons best friends knows the story. Bringing MTK into it is completely irrelevant.

i'm sure the McGuigan's will nail him if those claims are libelous but it remains to be seen if they have a leg to stand on. Time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised if all of this ends up in court anyway if neither side is willing to talk to each other and reach a settlement.

Advertisement