Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Conlan Pro Debut

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Morrison J wrote: »
    Pretty big. 6K odd in Bolton, his hometown. I think Conlan doing over 5K in NYC is more impressive though. Realistically he could've sold out the Odyssey in Belfast if he'd fought there tonight. 11K odd.

Maybe not. And to make the money that Arum wants- it will have to in USA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

snowflaker wrote: »
    Tickets were still available afaik. 5,000 quoted that would leave 500 extra
    Call 5,000 capacity and remove 500 seats

https://twitter.com/DeclanTaylor87/status/842921022433169409

5,102 was the official attendance

Yes. And if you could sell more tickets you could get in another 400 seats.

No one doesn't want a sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Even though a stoppage was inevitable that stoppage was far too early seeing as only 1 or 2 of those shots got through

I don't watch a lot of boxing, but thats what I thought, of the last 5 or 6 punches thrown, none landed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

To be fair to sell out a 5k arena out on your debut when it's not even in your own country is very impressive, boxing isn't the big deal it once was in America, plenty of world champions who can't shift that many tickets. Conlan if he has the talent to match has one bright future ahead, very marketable and has the backing of the world's best promotional company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Doesn't actually negate the other post you know, it is a 5600 capacity venue, there was definitely still tickets available a couple of days ago when I last checked, and it sells better to call it a sell out doesn't it so I'd be somewhat skeptical.

Anyways, did we learn anything from the fight tonight? Not much I would venture would be fair enough? He can be hit, as evidenced by when he left himself open to the counter right when he was trying to get the highlight KO but he showed some nice flashes in what must have been a nervy fight for him.

Looking forward to his next outing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There is a danger that people just casually browsing, and unaware may assume you keep referring to the the Arena, and the Garden as if it is not the Theater at MSG.

Capacity bring hugely different of course.

What were the numbers actually? Did it sell out? I thought there were still tickets available for it, the capacity is 5500, given the hype around the fighter from the Olympics, Top Rank being involved, and it being Paddys Day it isn't a huge shock to see it do well is it?

I know Top Rank predicted it would sell out, but did it? From my quick google RTE said it was a sell out at 5000 tickets.

Just realised I said Arena one of the times alright. Meant the theatre of course! My mistake.

To be fair to sell out a 5k arena out on your debut when it's not even in your own country is very impressive, boxing isn't the big deal it once was in America, plenty of world champions who can't shift that many tickets. Conlan if he has the talent to match has one bright future ahead, very marketable and has the backing of the world's best promotional company.

He's a marketeers wet dream. A paddy who let rip across the world at the last Olympics- former amateur WC- Arum knows!

John Duddy used to do the Paddy's day shows. He was a big crowd pulling paddy

Anyone get any good money on a R3 stoppage???

• Advertisement

Exactly.

I'm not sure why people are using a potential extra 3/400 tickets as a stick to beat him with. It's a sell out officially but even if there was spare tickets it's some achievement to sell that much for a pro debut in a foreign country. Literally unheard of in the history of boxing. People skipping over that fact are downplaying it big style. The superstar potential with Conlan is absolutely massive.

Exactly.

I'm not sure why people are using a potential extra 3/400 tickets as a stick to beat him with. It's a sell out officially but even if there was spare tickets it's some achievement to sell that much for a pro debut in a foreign country. Literally unheard of in the history of boxing. People skipping over that fact are downplaying it big style. The superstar potential with Conlan is absolutely massive.

I think you are going over the top- it's not literally unheard of- I already cited Khan and I'm sure Joshua sold out too- and they are both UK fighters.

Arum sees a cash cow, he milks it.

I think you are going over the top- it's not literally unheard of- I already cited Khan and I'm sure Joshua sold out too- and they are both UK fighters.

Arum sees a cash cow, he milks it.

In a foreign country though was the caveat. Joshua wouldn't have sold a ticket if his debut was in the states.

In a foreign country though was the caveat. Joshua wouldn't have sold a ticket if his debut was in the states.

Depends how it was marketed.

But a paddy on Paddy's day will always sell tickets- throw his Olympic Odessy and his amereur pedigree into the mix- it's a banker

Didn't see many non "Irish" at it tbf

Depends how it was marketed.

But a paddy on Paddy's day will always sell tickets- throw his Olympic Odessy and his amereur pedigree into the mix- it's a banker

I'm not doubting any of that, never have. I'm just stating his superstar potential which is outrageously high really. He's as close to a banker as it gets to being one of the next big stars in the sport.

Shakur Stevenson debuting in StubHub centre Cali, capacity 30,000

A nation of bregrudgers aren't we? Just enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Shakur Stevenson debuting in StubHub centre Cali, capacity 30,000

He's like the 4th fight down the undercard ffs and that card isn't selling anywhere near 30K.

I'm not doubting any of that, never have. I'm just stating his superstar potential which is outrageously high really. He's as close to a banker as it gets to being one of the next big stars in the sport.

He will win a world title. If he does it in the MGM he will be a superstar- if he wins it in the U.K. He will not have succeeded in USA

He's like the 4th fight down the undercard ffs and that card isn't selling anywhere near 30K.

He's starting in a bigger venue. He will be more successful in the us than Conlan, if they both keep winning

A nation of bregrudgers aren't we? Just enjoy it.

It's not begrudgary- it's called not swallowing the hype

He will win a world title. If he does it in the MGM he will be a superstar- if he wins it in the U.K. He will not have succeeded in USA

Why on earth would you come away after watching his debut thinking that he won't make it in the States? If he wins a world title, Top Rank will ensure he's a global superstar. That's as good as fact.

He's starting in a bigger venue. He will be more successful in the us than Conlan, if they both keep winning

So you'd rather start hidden under an undercard, fighting in front of less than 5K in all likelihood, than headline the MSG theatre? You must be trolling.

Why is that? Name me some current US fighters who are superstars?

It's not begrudgary- it's called not swallowing the hype

You do realise you need a level of hype to become a superstar? It all goes hand in hand.

You can ignore the hype and pretend fighting on an Oscar Valdez undercard is better if you like I suppose..

The hype now means exploiting the cash cow for all the money you can get.

Stevenson is being treated differently as US Olympic bronze medalists don't hold the same immediate cache as Irish ones.

So you'd rather start hidden under an undercard, fighting in front of less than 5K in all likelihood, than headline the MSG theatre? You must be trolling.

Why is that? Name me some current US fighters who are superstars?

Andre Ward

• Advertisement

Why on earth would you come away after watching his debut thinking that he won't make it in the States? If he wins a world title, Top Rank will ensure he's a global superstar. That's as good as fact.

Top Rank have many potential superstars on their books. They don't all make it.

I hope he does, but it's far from certain.

Advertisement