Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snippets of wisdom (cliché and humour too)

• 26-11-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Please post your short snippet of wisdom here. Preferably something you have learned from personal experience. To start things off, here is my abreviated contribution:

Think long term and big picture.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Please post your short snippet of wisdom here. Preferably something you have learned from personal experience. To start things off, here is my abreviated contribution:

Think long term and big picture.
    That's not wisdom - that's a cliche, the opposite of which could be argued for just as strongly.

Give me something good, perhaps with an example, and then I'll give you something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

paralysed wrote: »
    That's not wisdom - that's a cliche, the opposite of which could be argued for just as strongly.

Give me something good, perhaps with an example, and then I'll give you something good.
    Ok it is a cliche. I have no wisdom to offer. Snippets of wisdom from others welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

.... I have no wisdom to offer....
    I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.
    Socrates in Plato's Apology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

A couple of thoughts..
    Not sure if it would be considered wisdom, but it is information I have gained from experience...

On romantic relationships:
    If they tell you they are crazy or troublesome, believe them.

If you can't love yourself, you certainly can't love another.

Too many orgasms ruin the long term relationship via lack of oxytocin bonding chemicals.
    The male is driven to move on without this connection.

On friendships:
    If you don't ever test your friendships, they will test you eventually beyond your limits.

The friendship test; share some great news that raises your social status. Your friends will be happy; your enemies will seethe with a silent/masked rage.

On surviving long term depression:
    Learn how your body works in relation to food and liquids. Your body is a complex machine, read/write the manual!!!
    Dietary/health needs and exercise will fix 90% of cases. The other 10% is probably from living with too many assholes around you.

Study existential philosophy to create more options and thought patterns, for processing trauma and negative thoughts.

On creating your destiny:
    Learn how you function. Where you are weak, where you are strong.
    Your destination is often unconsciously chosen to amend the past.
    Once you are aware of the past and it's effect on your emotional needs, you can create your own meaning as you please.
    Leverage your strengths in the direction of whatever gives you joy and whatever will always have meaning to you.

Pick several destinies and aim beyond all of them at the same time :D
    Be an opportunist.

On giving up addictions:
    Most if not all addictions are a result of attachment, either emotionally or chemically(dopamine).
    Oxytocin combines with dopamine in the blood and helps relieve addiction to dopamine responses and stimulus.
    Therefore, to have a good chance of giving up an addiction to a person, object or substance, try upping your oxytocin.
    You get this from viewing kind acts, viewing hugs. Getting hugs and human or animal contact.
    Seeing kind acts etc etc
    The chemical is also created in the body after eating certain foods.
    I've used dark chocolate and cashew nuts to quit tobacco, drugs and short term relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I introduced this quote to my youngest daughter yesterday while helping her with a homework assignment answering an essay question on whether rebellion was justified since slavery was the law of the land in the early US 1800’s.

• Advertisement

Amerika wrote: »
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I introduced this quote to my youngest daughter yesterday while helping her with a homework assignment answering an essay question on whether rebellion was justified since slavery was the law of the land in the early US 1800’s.
    Did she not notice the gender bias of it?!

Joe1919 wrote: »
    Socrates in Plato's Apology
    Socrates would need a good hiding from me. Sounds like he had too much time to think about trivial things and play with words.

I do hope he came up with better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Loved your post torakx, very funny & true, made me laugh.

Did she not notice the gender bias of it?!

No. We have taught our daughters from very early ages that the word ‘man’ in phrases often equates to ‘mankind.’

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Amerika wrote: »
    No. We have taught our daughters from very early ages that the word ‘man’ in phrases often equates to ‘mankind.’
    Hopefully you've also taught your daughters that the word "mankind" nearly always equates to "humanity".

As a matter of interest, what do you teach your sons?;)

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Hopefully you've also taught your daughters that the word "mankind" nearly always equates to "humanity".

It is wise to stay on topic Peregrinus. Focus!

I have no wisdom to offer.
    You mean from your whole bloody life, you've nothing to offer? Nothing what so ever, even for the sake of your own thread!?

Good God, people are so vacuous!

Peregrinus wrote: »

Humanity is a quality.

Four daughters, no sons. My snippet of wisdom on that fact is... 'Proof there is a God and he's got a wicked sense of humor.' :)

You mean from your whole bloody life, you've nothing to offer? Nothing what so ever, even for the sake of your own thread!?

Good God, people are so vacuous!
    I think you misunderstand the purpose of the thread. It is to offer wisdom. Anything else is just fluff. We don`t want any fluff paralysed.

So this is another bit of wisdom: Over analysis leads to paralysis.

So is another bit of wisdom: Over analysis leads to paralysis.
    That's sort of what inspired my username!

So cliche :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No one is value-free (paraphrased from Max Weber 1922 edition of Economy and Society).

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the thread. It is to offer wisdom.
    That doesn't answer my question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When it rains, it pours. Fatalistic cliche.

Black Swan wrote: »
    When it rains, it pours. Fatalistic cliche.

I always love how perspective can make all the difference in the world.
    Something I would never really have taken to heart without Nietzsche.

And as the first drops of rain in weeks danced across the small pools surface, the little fish seemed to say to it's fellow strandeds "when it rains, it pours".

As a snippet of wisdom; perspective is everything.

• Advertisement

"If (persons) define situations as real, they are real in their consequences” (WI Thomas Theorem 1928). Pertains to interpretations and how people structure their realities, be such realities rational or irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Can't offer quotes but recently I've come across with Ernest Becker -and "terror management theory" - who reckoned that humans were motivated by a fear of death and that culture deals with this problem for without culture humans would be paralysed with their fear of dying.

I've been thinking about it for a long time and fear he's correct.

Plato was probably right by saying "you are what you do" - many people's opening conversation starter is 'what do you do'. http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/coping-ancient-philosophers-tips-on-how-to-keep-your-resolutions-1.2898271

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

oneilla wrote: »
    Can't offer quotes but recently I've come across with Ernest Becker -and "terror management theory" - who reckoned that humans were motivated by a fear of death and that culture deals with this problem for without culture humans would be paralysed with their fear of dying.

I've been thinking about it for a long time and fear he's correct.
    Why does this cause you to fear?

"Science is organised knowledge. Wisdom is organised life." (Immanuel Kant)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” (Albert Einstein)

"Truth isn't truth" (Rudy Giuliani, Donald Trump's lawyer, August 2018). :pac: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Never leave the living room with the remote control in your hand. Because if you misplace it then when you are looking for it later you will only be looking for it in places within the living room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Advertisement