Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First trip-what ship?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

My first ship was The Sagacity of FT Everard .
    Joined in Drogheda, Got so seasick i paid off in Glasgow.
    But had another go a couple of months later and Joined the "Stream Fisher" in Drogheda which was on the Drogheda -Preston container run.
    Stayed at sea and ended up shipping out of Dock/Prescot street and KG5 for 15 years. came to NZ 1974.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

First ship British Progress, first and only run ashore in Long Beach. Second Ship British Swift second ever run ashore Savona, on my own twas fair boring, and it pissed rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

First as trainee STV Asgard II, in the Irish Sea in winter.
    First Coaster MV Union Mars, working Near Continental and the Canals.
    1457494.jpg
    Back then(1990) she was irish flagged. When I left her I intended stealing the spare tricolour, but honesty got the better of me. Left never to return(yet) following injury aboard. Still have my discharge book though, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

opawaman wrote: »
    My first ship was The Sagacity of FT Everard .
    Joined in Drogheda, Got so seasick i paid off in Glasgow.
    But had another go a couple of months later and Joined the "Stream Fisher" in Drogheda which was on the Drogheda -Preston container run.
    Stayed at sea and ended up shipping out of Dock/Prescot street and KG5 for 15 years. came to NZ 1974.

By any chance do now drive a taxi. Got a lift from an irish man in Timaru who was a part time taxi driver in retirement with a similar story to yours:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Never knew this forum even existed on here, great to see it.

First ship was the "Arklow Bridge" - the one built out of Appledore.

• Advertisement

eire-kp wrote: »
    By any chance do now drive a taxi. Got a lift from an irish man in Timaru who was a part time taxi driver in retirement with a similar story to yours:D
    Good Morning, No i do not drive a taxi in Timaru, Anyway i live in Christchurch, or should i say whats left of it. Is this chap in timaru from Drogheda. My skype address is donacarneyschool.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

hytrogen wrote: »
    STV Jeanie Johnston back in 2007 before she got laid up in Dublin. Absolutely mad craic aboard the whole time. Went Dublin - Isle of man a few times, Dun Laoghaire for a crazy 50th then onto Bristol for the maritime festival for the week, epic banter there. was tied up alongside the STV Matthew & STV Cascelotte (if memory serves me right) every night on the tear with the lads & they'd bring over their home brewed ale which was far better than the sewage water ya normally get for ale over there. P/O in Cork eventually..

I must know you!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

SV Asgard II :(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

RV Celtic Voyager a few years back out of Fenit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

My first time on an actual ocean going vessel was the RRS Discovery which I'm on right now, heading for the George Bligh bank. I think this is its second last trip before it gets scrapped

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    MFV Seafire
    Substantially different to when she was a Sidewinder working on this side of the world.
    Brutal introduction to commercial fishing, 40+ hrs on deck!

The Seafire became the Boston Seafire , Sailing out of Nelson New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

opawaman wrote: »
    The Seafire became the Boston Seafire , Sailing out of Nelson New Zealand.

She started out as the Buzzard, then became the Boston Seafire, Then when she went to NZ was known as the Seafire.

Advertisement