Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martial Arts in the Swords area.......

• 13-02-2007 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I just moved to swords and am looking for any martial arts classes. Does any one know of some good classes. It doesnt matter what style i just need to know whats out there and ill choose. Other then that ill drive to the mma ireland classes.
    Cheers
    GF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

bjj and akido are done out of this place-i heard its very good-might try it myself as its in swords
    www.defendu.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Off the top of my head:
    There's Swords Boxing Club in the Old Carnegie Library on North Street- that'd be where I'd go.
    Tae Kwon Do in River Valley- one of the top TKD clubs in Ireland there, lots of fighters.
    Colaiste Choilm has Shotokan and Taekwondo, I think something else too- lots of stuff in there, not too sure of the standard.
    Theres Judo, but I don't know the location, I've heard its good.
    Theres also a top Judo club in Lusk, again I don't have the contact details.
    I'll also mention my own club, we have a few guys who come from the North County, Donabate, Swords and Balbriggan to us. I live in Swords myself and it takes me 20 mins across the back roads. My sig if you want to have a look.

Anyway, best of luck witht the hunt, if I think of any more around the area I'll post again. Its fairly rich with small kids clubs but not an awful lot in the way of quality to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Easton Famous Rigging

As Roper indicated. Your spoiled for choice in Swords.

Checkout www.swordsjudo.com they run a fantastic Judo club up there, all the details are of course on their website.

MeaveD who posts here can fill you in on BJJ & Akkido in Swords also.

Eugene McQuillian run's a full time TKD Hepkido gym near Feltrim, in the same business park as Kid Zone (if you have kids they'll give you directions!).

If you want to travel accross the back roads you've got Ray Stear's Judo in Portmarnock & Andy Ryan's Straight Blast Gym (north) in Baldoyle Ind. est. Check them out at www.sbgnorthside.com

Then there's the other's Roper mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Hi

Yes as mentions there is Judo in swords and north county dublin,
    Swords Judo (Loreto college,RiverValley) - tuesdays and thursdays 8.00,
    Lusk (In the old Libray) - Same as above,
    Both Swords and lusk are at the min have member sortages, As a result the Lads from Lusk are now up in Coolmine Tues-Thuredays and Sat

But there is also Portmarnock(Portmarnock Sports and leisure Center) Monday and Thursdays at 7pm.

Now if you a beginner only out of the wrapper and all shiney and new, i would
    suggest maybe headin up to swords on tuesday for some basics and technique training, Then when your ready up to Portmarnock for some fight training (Randori),

Hope that helps, and sure pick which ever MA suits yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

There is a new Kyokushin Dojo opened in Swords. Its in Fingallians GAA club on a Thursday from 7.00 to 8.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

mickoo wrote:
    bjj and akido are done out of this place-i heard its very good-might try it myself as its in swords www.defendu.ie

Thats us :D

Aikido - 7.30-9.30pm Mon and Wed in Colaiste Choilm (The Brothers) on the Main St in Swords

and

BJJ - Tues 7.00-8.30pm, Thurs 7.30-9.00pm in Backstreet Dance Studios, Airside Retail Park (beside the Tulip Inn), also a Sat class in Fairview 1-2.45pm(ish)

NeiloMac wrote:
    Hi

Yes as mentions there is Judo in swords and north county dublin,
    Swords Judo (Loreto college,RiverValley) - tuesdays and thursdays 8.00,
    Lusk (In the old Libray) - Same as above,
    Both Swords and lusk are at the min have member sortages, As a result the Lads from Lusk are now up in Coolmine Tues-Thuredays and Sat

But there is also Portmarnock(Portmarnock Sports and leisure Center) Monday and Thursdays at 7pm.

Now if you a beginner only out of the wrapper and all shiney and new, i would
    suggest maybe headin up to swords on tuesday for some basics and technique training, Then when your ready up to Portmarnock for some fight training (Randori),

Hope that helps, and sure pick which ever MA suits yourself

Hiya Neil haven't seen you here in awhile.

Couldn't agree with you more re. Portmarnock.

When I started Judo it was in POrtmarnock and when I'd visit other clubs and they'd here I was training in Portmarnock (as a complete novice) I'd get something like "Jesus Martin, only thing you'll learn up there is how to bless yourself".

Thats a fantastic Judo club you have going up there (in Swords) Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭ShaneT

Congrats on the new Dojo Bloke. Bit closer to home/work for you! ;-)

Get lot's of enquiries about Kyokushin in Swords; I'll point them at you from here on in.

All the best.
    -Shane.
    OldBloke wrote:
    There is a new Kyokushin Dojo opened in Swords. Its in Fingallians GAA club on a Thursday from 7.00 to 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Shane T

I appreciate that - I also havent forgotten about coming up to you some night.

Osu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭ShaneT

OldBloke wrote:
    Shane T

I appreciate that - I also havent forgotten about coming up to you some night.

Osu

OSU! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Cheers marit

Have not seen ya in a bit , you injured,

NeiloMac wrote:
    Cheers marit

Have not seen ya in a bit , you injured,

Nah, took some pre-discharge leave from the army and working my ass off at the moment. I should be back on the mat soon, although I'm tipping away at some training in the mornings and early afternoon's down in Andy's SBGn.

I dread taking a break from Judo and going back, ouch!. I've said it before, I think it must be one of the tougher M.A..

Judo = The gentle way my arse!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLCHw9QeAA

Btw, my young lad Kevin is boxing down in Kilbarrack now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 victoriah

There's a great Shotokan Karate instructor in Swords. His name is Dermot O'Keefe. If you are interested I will let you have his number... Let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Hey I'll bump this one for ease:

Neilo I know a 10 year old and his Da who are looking to do some MA in Swords and the Da is fond of the thought of Judo. He wants to know what the story is with kids and adults classes are they mixed or not etc. Also what times they're on at.

Roper.

Sorry for cutting in, but you might be waiting for Neil.

I can highly recommend Swords Judo, Timmy & Leo are running a fantastic club up there.

Here's their website.

www.swordsjudo.com

Not just saying it because Neil posts here. But its genuinely a very, very good club and all the senior guys have a fantastic way with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheNoShow

Hey lads, sorry if the bump is inappropriate, I just thought it better than starting a new thread as this is relevant to what I was hoping to find out.

I was just wondering what the story is for taking classes, preferably Judo, as a complete novice but an adult. I'm 33 and have absolutely no martial arts/boxing/whatever else you like background.

I was just wondering if there are any places that have sessions geared towards absolute beginners? Or is some base level of experience/fitness expected?

Any help appreciated and apologies if the bump of an old thread was out of line!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

swords judo club or lusk judo club is just down the road too, all clubs cater for all levels in Judo

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Check out Dermot O'Keeffe's Shotokan dojo in Swords: http://www.hokubudojo.org/j25/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheNoShow

Thanks lads. My main concern would be being lumped in with a load of people with obviously higher skill levels and fitness levels than myself. No one wants to be the one plank that's just taking up space!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Drumsnotdead

Check out malahidemma.com. Located in Seatown business campus in Swords despite the name. We are a new club with members who are mostly at beginner/intermediate level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Check out malahidemma.com. Located in Seatown business campus in Swords despite the name. We are a new club with members who are mostly at beginner/intermediate level.

Went up myself on Tuesday and Thursday. Couldn't recommend the gym and John enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andrisvl

Any karate and or Jiu-Jitsu clubs around Swords that can be recommended, I'm 36 and my son is 9y old ? Checked Hokubu, their website seems to be untouched since 2015, are they still training students?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

andrisvl wrote: »
    Any karate and or Jiu-Jitsu clubs around Swords that can be recommended, I'm 36 and my son is 9y old ? Checked Hokubu, their website seems to be untouched since 2015, are they still training students?

Sbg swords both adults and children classes

andrisvl wrote: »

Off the top of my head you have SBG Swords, Rush MMA/BJJ & boxing, Swords Judo club for the young lad or probably one of the best Judo clubs in the country Lusk Judo Club.

Depending on what you want to spend and if you want to pay as you go or a month subscription.

Judo will be the cheapest (and pay as you go) but you're restricted to certain nights whereas SBG Swords and Rush Fight Academy are full time clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

JKS Swords have karate classes, you can find them on Facebook under Swords Karate Club. Message them or call for their timetable

Advertisement