Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Self-build update, laid the last floor tile today & will grout the last section of tiling tomorrow. (at last :D )

Moving in on Friday..... YEEHAAH!!!

Not finished yet, but, at least we're IN!

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Self-build update, laid the last floor tile today & will grout the last section of tiling tomorrow. (at last :D )

And now, the really annoying work begins.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Self-build update, laid the last floor tile today & will grout the last section of tiling tomorrow. (at last :D )

Do you want my postal address or will a PM do for the invite ;)

• smashey wrote:
    And now, the really annoying work begins.:D

I know the list is growing as we speak...:D

• muffler wrote:
    Do you want my postal address or will a PM do for the invite ;)

The first "do" in the house will be our son's eighth birthday party, how do you fancy a go on the bouncy castle. :D

sure if I invited all the builders to the party it would be a quiet affair..:)

• Advertisement

how do you fancy a go on the bouncy castle. :D
    How big and strong is it? :D

The best of luck to you and yours in your new home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Beltra

just about to start plastering stages

4500 sq.ft. two storey in the rainy south east :(

build route main contractor for shell, 2nd fix and finish directly contracted

always happy to share success stories (we've had a few) and mistakes (a couple!)

SSE
    Waiting on some more prices from building contractors re building a 2800 sq ft house in the west.Undecided whether to go total build or shell?Would welcome any advice.if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose to have the shell built as opposed to the total house?The prices we'e gotten so far are higher than expexted for total build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Beltra

Our place is outside Prosperous in Co. Kildare will be 2,600 sq ft or so when its finished. We put in what we wanted (even though it stretched the funds to breaking point!!), i.e.

a large sitting room (26ft * 16ft) for entertaining

a large kitchen, come diner, come sitting/tv/multifuel stove area (26ft * 24ft)

5 bedrooms, (2 ensuite) with walk in wardrobes

A large family bathroom with separate bath and shower

A playroom (16ft * 16ft) for the kids where they can do what they please as we can lock the door and ignore the mess until it needs a real clean up. As they get older, it'll be their space for entertaining friends.

We had insulation put into the subfloor, the walls and roof space above what is specified in the building regulations. This is money well spent as we'll recoup the cost in time in money saved on heating bills.

The downside for all prospective self builders is to take the timeline given by your builder and to double it. We were told it would take 4 1/2 months to do our house (I estimated 6 myself) but it'll be nearer 9 months by the time its finished. Its been stated above by previous posters, but the arrogance of the builder, and his sub contractors is breath taking. When you take into account that you are paying these people hundreds of thousands of euro and they treat you with barely concealed contempt, then your own temper can soon reach breaking point, like mine did recently. My wife thought I'd annoy the builder so much when I let loose at him, that he'd walk away but thankfully it had the opposite effect and he got stuck in and things are progressing again. Still I reckon it'll be April before its finished

Hi Prosperous Dave. You don't say what type of insulation you went for and why?We're about to start our 2800 sq ft build in the west. I was also curious as to what type of heating you went for and if you're happy with the choice?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What do u mean shell build?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Got Planning permission on Saturday. Wait for 4 weeks, I think, for C3 and any objections before starting the build. 2300 sq ft house in the West.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Almost 4 months into build. Blockwork complete, roof on, door and windows in, first fix electrics done, cavities pumped with insulation, plastering almost done outside. Happy enough with progress so far!! So glad we went with contractor. No hassle so far in the build, just lots of decisions to be made.

Why did you pump the cavities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

We got the quote in for the poroton blocks for our 100M2 extension and it's way beyond our budget, so we are going for the standard blockbuild.

We found already a builder who was recommended to us by several people and he came with a very nice price. He will do all the groundwork, foundation, relocate the manhole for the septictank, will break through the old stone wall for the pipes for the bathroom, and he will build up to rooflevel. Insulation with Kingspan or Quin Therm walls and flooring, damp proof, radon barrier and sump.

The only two things that we will subcontract are placing the windows, as this was altready included in the price from our window supplier, and plastering.

We just have helped a friend of ours placing his roof and we know now that we can do that ourself.

We hope to get started next month.

Up date will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keeper2

Currently at first floor level 3100 sqft part basement ICF. Shell construction deal with ICF builders, includes roof felted & battened. They will also fit windows. So far so good, no decision re. heating having researched heat pumps, wood pellet boilers, not convinced so far. Probably Wood Pellet /UFH with solar for hot water. Would love wind powered UFH, but can't find a supplier. have organised own plumber/electrician, need to find a plasterer/company familiar with ICF.

• keeper2 wrote:
    Would love wind powered UFH, but can't find a supplier.

I don't believe that this is practical, you need at least 6KW of electricity 3-4 hours a day to provide a useful heat output. You would need a wind turbine 30m up and approx 6m diameter for starters (guestimates ;) back of a fag packet etc).

I had thought of doing something similar, but now believe that the best I can achieve is to supliment the hot water cylinder with a low power immersion heater.

I don't believe that this is practical, you need at least 6KW of electricity 3-4 hours a day to provide a useful heat output. You would need a wind turbine 30m up and approx 6m diameter for starters (guestimates ;) back of a fag packet etc).

Thanks for the info/estimate, sound like it just not feasible, back to pellet boiler or heat pump combined with solar with immersion top up. Has anyone been advised to install a top up oil burner with a heat pump??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

felting at the moment, all 9 veluxes are in including 2 with vertical elements.(instead of dormer windows on a storey and a half). just ringing my guttering guy to stick up the trim which is needed for plastering.
    have to get chimney blocked and shuttered(for cap) this week if the weather can hold out for a time to get it done!

weather is kinda holding us up at the moment and scaffolding ain't cheap! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ninsaga

keeper2 wrote:
    Currently at first floor level 3100 sqft part basement ICF. Shell construction deal with ICF builders, includes roof felted & battened. They will also fit windows. So far so good, no decision re. heating having researched heat pumps, wood pellet boilers, not convinced so far. Probably Wood Pellet /UFH with solar for hot water. Would love wind powered UFH, but can't find a supplier. have organised own plumber/electrician, need to find a plasterer/company familiar with ICF.

Which ICF company did you choose?
    ninsaga

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Planning permission all granted and C3 was posted during the week. We've started pricing hollowcore and am looking to start pricing blocklayers, etc. Raft should be going in in about 3 - 4 weeks.

How are things, just about to start a self build and i am taking the direct labout route. Building a 1800 sq foot bungalow. Any idea of a rough estimation of costs?
    Have a look here and theres a link in this thread although its a wee bit dated.

Edit: Ah *uck it Im just after seeing you posted this twice. Once is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

2600sq ft 2 storey house with sunroom, & garage.
    ICF walls, solar panels on south facing roof of garage.
    6 months from start to end with planning. 2 rounds of issues.
    TOP TIP - over do the house plans with extras you know you wont' be allowed to keep and then cut them out, (you're seen to compromise :o) and you get what you want!

opened entrance on April 16th.
    yesterday the pre-cast floor arrived.. so i think its going well.
    Roof going on garage today.

Costs:
    never thought so much concrete, blocks and products would fit in the spaces.. Budget going well.
    Pre-starting fees & bills are definitely between 10 - 15K.

Decisions of the week.
    still deciding on solar panel supplier and also WPB group.
    get window man onsite.
    Pick a front door for garage.
    Line up next weeks jobs and hope they arrive.

Anyone in the South west region can recommend suppliers of WPB i'd like to hear more.

Link to website -> http://limerickbuild.blogspot.com

Hi Ninsaga, have been on holidays so just saw your post, we used a company called ABC Technologies, two German builders, using an ICF system called KernHaus, after much research, and so far so good, they did all the foundation prep also in addition to digging out for same, and supplying all necessary items. I can forward full contact details if required, but we (and our engineer) are very happy with progress to date. Currently have placed first floor concrete slabs and are on the first floor walls, due for pouring next week.

I had a quick glance through a few of the latest posts and you know this thread is worth its weight in gold to anyone looking for suggestions, comparisons, costs etc and even more so when taken in conjunction with the "How long did yer build take" sticky.

Keep up the good work folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CarloSelfBuild

Hi

At the stage where we are pricing contractors in the Carlow area and also pricing direct labour. We are building a concrete bungalow style house with upstairs, velux windows, under floor heating. Total sq ft is 3,300. We would like an economic heating system and everyone is preferring oil over heat pump or opting for heat pump and solar panel and or wood pellet burner.

Would definitely prefer to save some money by direct labour and putting it into the house.

If we go with a contractor, does anyone know what would the current rate be per ft2?

If we go direct labour is there an extensive list with stages on what we need to cover and the average price per trade. Having never built before nor dont expect to do it again it would be good to capture everything and not forget about something therefore costing us more in the long run.

We have time on our hands and two very young children so no rush in finishing the job.

Any info would be great!
    :confused:

• Well you could start by looking at some of the selfbuild websites/blogs that are linked to within this forum. (see sig below ;) for one of many to be found here)

As there is a bit of a turn-down in the building industry at the moment you should be able to get more competative prices from subcontractors.

If you construct it yourself (own-hand) you will find it takes up ALL of your time and the kids (& missus) will miss you..

Oil is by far the cheapest in the short term, but alternatives will work out cheaper than oil after seven - ten years, capital cost plus fuel spread over the years. I'm putting in oil this year and solar panels in next year on the garage when built plus space for a multifuel boiler.

Good luck with the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Jewson Rep

hi all newbie here and i just thought i would say a good builders merchants rep can be worth there weight in gold.. good luck all with your projects and if i can help i will

hi all newbie here and i just thought i would say a good builders merchants rep can be worth there weight in gold.. good luck all with your projects and if i can help i will
    Hi and welcome. You my well be of some assistance here and Im sure you will get a few queries in relation to product pricing etc.

Just a word of caution though. Dont advertise the firm you work for as it would be in breach of house rules.

Enjoy the forum and feel free to join in on any of the topics being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Jewson Rep

opps sorry.. can i just change it to the sales rep ??

Nah. Dont worry about the name - its the business end or the advertising thereof that is frowned upon.

All I can say is dont post things like we have special offers on XXX products at the moment or we deliver free or the likes. Basically just avoid any linking to your business. You'll get the hang of it.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    Nah. Dont worry about the name - its the business end or the advertising thereof that is frowned upon.

All I can say is dont post things like we have special offers on XXX products at the moment or we deliver free or the likes. Basically just avoid any linking to your business. You'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, he'll get the hang of it reeeaaaallllll quick.

Advertisement