Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wheelchair Accessible Places In Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

Sorry, the toilets in one area will be on the first floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

Thats not clear at all sorry,
    we are proposing to split a restarunt into two units, right now it has toilets on the first floor & an acessibel toilet on the ground floor however the split will mean only one half will have access to the accessible toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

THe Part M building regs will tell you that if toilets are provided, then there must be an accessible toilet. So you can't have 1st floor with no accessible loo.

See http://www.environ.ie/en/TGD/ for the Part M regs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smallerworld

Hi,

as I originally posted in here about the first version of SmallerWorld I thought I'd follow up... (apologies for cutting across a discussion)

Due to time, work and money constrains, the original SmallerWorld was put on hold for quite a long time - Version 2 is looking forward to a December Launch and I invite you all along to check it out and make suggestions etc. I'm not going to boast about improvements, I'd rather you see for yourself!

-You can go to the site now to and link up with the facebook -]

I will be doing some surveys shortly too to get much-needed feedback and these will be through the launched site and - really value all opinions

Thanks & best regards,

Garreth

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onaroll

I was in Carrigmines Shopping Centre just yesterday (29/12/2010 - 14:30) and the place was in full post Xmas sales, I'm quite familiar where the disabled spaces are as i'm a wheelchair user.
    I got there and every single disabled space was taken and no badges displayed on any (surprise surprise!!) I came across one car where owner was sitting in car while on phone, i watched to see if they were leaving but not a chance. I then showed her my parking badge & kindly stated she was parked in a disabled space which came as news to her, I didn't see any visible signs of stupidity but most people would see the sign when parking there if looking where they were driving. Anyway she moved her car but i cant say I gave her any visual thanks.

After shopping as I was going back to my car I came across another person parking in a disabled space, i waited till she turned off the car & went over to her, stated if she knew she had parkied in a disabled space & once again she claimed total ignorance!! Now she had reversed in to the spot but its still not an excuse for not seeing its a disabled space sign. Then to my surprise a rather loud gentleman started backing me up which made me very happy, that was first time I've ever said to someone what they just did & having someone backing me up was very encouraging.

ps: its only because of my frustration at people parking in designated spaces over the Xmas period that I actually said something to that person but my new years resolution is to confront people who park with no thought for others, I'd fine them if I had my way :):)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Hi,

as I originally posted in here about the first version of SmallerWorld I thought I'd follow up... (apologies for cutting across a discussion)

Due to time, work and money constrains, the original SmallerWorld was put on hold for quite a long time - Version 2 is looking forward to a December Launch and I invite you all along to check it out and make suggestions etc. I'm not going to boast about improvements, I'd rather you see for yourself!

-You can go to the site now to and link up with the facebook -]

I will be doing some surveys shortly too to get much-needed feedback and these will be through the launched site and - really value all opinions

Thanks & best regards,

Garreth

Garreth one url in your original post is all that's needed, consistent posting of the same urls is spammish for this thread.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,630 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

tampopo wrote: »
    Okay, for all the times I've complained about the dull boring (but smooth/flat) paving on Grafton Street, and said it should be done in a more 'authentic' cobblestone way, I apologise!!! I can see how TB is for wheelchair users, the paths are too narrow too....

Hate the place. With a passion. :mad:

snorlax wrote: »
    Garreth one url in your original post is all that's needed, consistent posting of the same urls is spammish for this thread.thanks

Sorry about that - It's just I had posted nearly 4 years and 3 pages ago! - didn't mean to spam - just make people aware of the situation.

onaroll wrote: »
    I was in Carrigmines Shopping Centre just yesterday (29/12/2010 - 14:30) and the place was in full post Xmas sales, I'm quite familiar where the disabled spaces are as i'm a wheelchair user.
    I got there and every single disabled space was taken and no badges displayed on any (surprise surprise!!) I came across one car where owner was sitting in car while on phone, i watched to see if they were leaving but not a chance. I then showed her my parking badge & kindly stated she was parked in a disabled space which came as news to her, I didn't see any visible signs of stupidity but most people would see the sign when parking there if looking where they were driving. Anyway she moved her car but i cant say I gave her any visual thanks.

After shopping as I was going back to my car I came across another person parking in a disabled space, i waited till she turned off the car & went over to her, stated if she knew she had parkied in a disabled space & once again she claimed total ignorance!! Now she had reversed in to the spot but its still not an excuse for not seeing its a disabled space sign. Then to my surprise a rather loud gentleman started backing me up which made me very happy, that was first time I've ever said to someone what they just did & having someone backing me up was very encouraging.

ps: its only because of my frustration at people parking in designated spaces over the Xmas period that I actually said something to that person but my new years resolution is to confront people who park with no thought for others, I'd fine them if I had my way :):)

Thanks

I've been completely frustrated by this too - especially during xmas shopping when people just dont seem to care whether its a wheelchair spot or not.

Its the policing of this that annoys me, by rights people who have a conscience wont usually park illegally in wheelchair spaces, but certain situations it seems they will do it and if you dont get caught or nothing is done, then it becomes a non-issue - regardless of how well-meaning people are. The "I'll only be 5 minutes" crowd are a great examples of this.

I have heard of friends being verbally attacked when confronting non-badge-holders parking in disabled spaces - and these friends would be wheelchair users. These people obviously have a screw loose but you'll never know which ones do till you confront them!

Fine line huh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The O2 IMO is very friendly. Wheelchair area is about halfway up the arena but spacious and relatively easy to access via a lift and offers a very good view. The staff are very helpful as well without being intrusive or overbearing. The only problem is with the fire doors leading to the Lifts and Toilets - (which are also very good btw) - These doors are quite big and are on a spring, something to do with being fire doors and retaining sound I believe. Overall, quite impressive.

It's my teenage daughter that's in a chair so concerts are her 'thing'.

Another interesting fact is that MCD don't charge for an assistants ticket, other promoters do.

• Advertisement

The O2 IMO is very friendly. Wheelchair area is about halfway up the arena but spacious and relatively easy to access via a lift and offers a very good view. The staff are very helpful as well without being intrusive or overbearing. The only problem is with the fire doors leading to the Lifts and Toilets - (which are also very good btw) - These doors are quite big and are on a spring, something to do with being fire doors and retaining sound I believe. Overall, quite impressive.

It's an awful pity that the O2 went for 'the wheelchair area' design. Given how recently it was rebuilt, I'd have expected a more integrated approach, like the new Landsdowne Road, where wheelchair accessible spaces are dotted throughout the venue and not restricted to one area.

From what I hear, they don't have a particularly good evacuation plan at the O2. They rely on using evacuation chairs for wheelchair users. These chairs are not suitable for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I see accessdublin.ie now has an asscessibility guide to locations in Dublin :)

tampopo wrote: »
    Okay, for all the times I've complained about the dull boring (but smooth/flat) paving on Grafton Street, and said it should be done in a more 'authentic' cobblestone way, I apologise!!! I can see how TB is for wheelchair users, the paths are too narrow too....

I know your post is more than 3 years old but I just "thanked" it just now. It's not "bad ignorance" that comes from most people - it's just the way people are. Until it happens to them - or someone they know - they will not react to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gavdown

zelemon wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me is it illegal to split a premisies in two leaving the accessible toilet in one & therefore not having an accessible toilet in the other?

Thanks.
    Zel

Im not 100% sure but each premises has to take 'reasonable measurements' to make there premises accessible according to the Equal Status Act. So it could be brought forward that reasonable grounds were not made but someone may have to bright it up (to court) for the judgement to be made.

for anyone who is thinking of accessibility there is a website for Ireland that has some places http://www.accessibleireland.com which shows accessibility (its not my site but I have used it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leah14

Hi, was wondering does anyone know of a good wheelchair accessable restaurant in the area around St. Stephens Green to Kildare Street? Had a look on access Dublin but there are too many listed. Would need to be decent size as there are 2 wheelchair users in our lunch party.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derekjones

xdz

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scullivor

fire restaurant is wheelchair accesible, as is tgis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I was at a gig in The Workmans Club on Saturday. Just to let people know that if they intend ever going there is no viewing platform, so get there early to get a decent view. And their Wheelchair Toilet is in Bonos Gaff next door.

marwelie wrote: »
    And their Wheelchair Toilet is in Bonos Gaff next door.

That's outrageous. Do you have to leave one venue, go out on the street and then into the Clarence to go to the loo?

Yep, Bono's Gaff is very nice though, haven't been in there since about 1990. It was a dump then, it isn't anymore ;)

• Advertisement

Yep, Bono's Gaff is very nice though, haven't been in there since about 1990. It was a dump then, it isn't anymore ;)

On the assumption that there are standard toilets in the club, but no accessible toilets, this is almost certainly a breach of the Part M building regs. The Part M TGD from 2000 state that where public toilets are provided, an accessible toilet is mandatory. Would you fancy making a complaint to Dublin City Council on this?

It is probably also in breach of equality legislation - remember the Searson's case; http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pub-forced-to-provide-toilet-for-disabled-as-presenter-wins-case-95542.html

Able-bodied toilets are in the basement, it may be a listed building, did Bono not have problems trying expand the Clarence because of this?

Able-bodied toilets are in the basement, it may be a listed building, did Bono not have problems trying expand the Clarence because of this?

There is no general exemption to Part M accessibility for listed buildings. If they can do the works to turn it into a modern club, with all that goes with that, then they can provide a single accessible bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

Temple Bar is a horrible place for wheelchairs. If you have time enter your accessible places on www.rollsquare.com. Most pubs are accessible, some exceptions are pubs upstairs, or basements. Sinnott in Stephens green area, is example. Most important is to enjoy yourself and don't blame your disability. Your a customer and they need your business,

Temple Bar is a horrible place for wheelchairs. If you have time enter your accessible places on www.rollsquare.com. Most pubs are accessible, some exceptions are pubs upstairs, or basements. Sinnott in Stephens green area, is example. Most important is to enjoy yourself and don't blame your disability. Your a customer and they need your business,

Fcukin kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Part of the problem is not just "wheelchair accessible" but toilets with proper hoists.

In Scotland there are sixty-something Changing Places toilets http://www.changing-places.org/install_a_toilet/equipment/hoists.aspx and in Northern Ireland there are eight. Not one in the Republic, as far as I know.

This means that anyone with cerebral palsy, for instance, can't go on an outing and rely on being able to use the toilet.

It's kind of crazy that these hoists aren't standard in new builds, and retro-fitted where possible in all public spaces. Apparently the National Gallery is installing one, but it's not ready yet.

Part of the problem is not just "wheelchair accessible" but toilets with proper hoists.

In Scotland there are sixty-something Changing Places toilets http://www.changing-places.org/install_a_toilet/equipment/hoists.aspx and in Northern Ireland there are eight. Not one in the Republic, as far as I know.

This means that anyone with cerebral palsy, for instance, can't go on an outing and rely on being able to use the toilet.

It's kind of crazy that these hoists aren't standard in new builds, and retro-fitted where possible in all public spaces. Apparently the National Gallery is installing one, but it's not ready yet.

I hadn't heard about the National Gallery. That's a positive step forward, but you're right, lots more Changing Places are needed. I guess they are never going to be standard, but for major new developments, they would be very popular for those who need them. If we ever get new developments like the Dundrum Town Centre, Convention Centre, Grand Canal Theatre etc, they should certainly have this kind of facility.

I heard one parent of a young adult with an intellectual disability explaining how she has to bring a shower curtain with her, to put down on the floor of the disabled loo when changing her son. Not nice...

Does anybody have any experience of the Merchant Arch Pub in Dublin. Supposed to be going to a gig there tomorrow night but it doesnt look very wheelchair friendly to me.

I was right about the Merchant Arch, avoid like the plague......steps, steps and then more steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi

Looking to visit O2 in Dublin in October for a concert, used the search function and pulled this thread up.

2 adults and 1 young adult (17) in wheelchair will be attending

Any updates to this thread?

Plan at this stage will be to fly in and get the bus - not sure which one yet - as this looks cheaper than the ferry.

The concert in Sunday evening and we will definitely stay on Sunday, possibly Saturday too.

Any hotel recommendations?

Jurys Inn and Maldron in Cardiff Lane, look closest to O2.

We are well travelled and often struggle to get a room with disabled facilities and accommodate 3 individuals.

All help appreciated, but I will start another thread

Thanks

Advertisement