Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wheelchair Accessible Places In Dublin

• 24-02-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

be it pubs/ cinemas/ theatres/ restaurants/ heritage centres/ shops/ hotels etc.

please stick up the name/ location of anywhere that is accessible near you and provides adequate toilet facilities/ ramps etc for easy access and use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

The Temple Bar (PUB)
    (location)Temple Bar
    Wheelchair access - reasonable, got around it without too much hassle.
    Pros - Nice atmos, and friendly staff.
    Cons - No wheelchair toilet (that I saw), and surrounding area aint all that pleasant for chairs as cobblestones make it feel like your sitting on a jackhammer.

===============

O'Reillys Bar (PUB)
    Under Tara St. Station.
    Pros: Lovely place to relax, Nice decor, Wheelchair toilet (albiet small), table & counter heights arent too bad and the main area is very "open plan".

Cons: VERY small wheelchair toilet, beer garden is up about 4 steps. Im told it can get very crowded (altho I have yet to see that for myself).
    ==============

Temple Bar Gallery & Studios.
    Totally accessible (altho' a few kinda tight turns inside).
    Wheelchair toilet (superb).
    Lift.
    Has a policy of being "wheelchair friendly" and will take all suggestions seriously.
    ( :D I worked there for 3 years lol)

==================

Easons O'Connell Street
    (Has wheelchair ramp, automatic door specifically for same) and has lift installed. Not sure about toilet facilities.

=================

Georges St. Arcade.
    Wheelchair friendly "walkthru" most stalls are not easilly entered but can easilly be accessed and stallholders are in general friendly people. (cept for the miserable sod in the book store). :P ;)
    Generally a nice place to go.

=========================

St. Stephens Green Shopping Center.
    Very accessible however a lot of shops seem to have stock covering every available space and stuff gets knocked over easilly in most. (However to be fair, most shops these days have the same problem).
    ==================

Blanchardstown Shopping Center.
    I go there every week and have never had a problem.
    Toilets are plentiful, clean and large.
    Very good parking policy

===============

Liffey valley Shopping Center
    Very open plan with reasonable toilet facilities. (as long as you remember you gotta go to the Customer Service Desk to get the toilet key first).
    Parking policy is terrible but is currently being re-evaluated due to some bad publicity. ;)
    ==============

The Square, Shopping center, Tallaght.
    Parking policy (has improved greatly).
    Wheelchair toilets on each floor. (remember to get key at service desk first, and is only one service desk (2nd floor) to cover all three levels.

=========================

B&Q Liffey Valley (DIY Superstore)
    (Even tho having worked there I hate the place), it does have a VERY good wheelchair toilet, great parking policy, and is the only store in all of the surrounding retail parks with an accessible toilet.

=====================

Dublin Zoo.
    Has to be the most accessible place I've ever been. The only letdown is that it has some rather steep hills (which can be easilly bypassed without missing much).

Will post more as I remember / go to them.
    Feel free to correct me on any of the above venues which you have had conflicting experiences in / with.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 exdub

There's a very comfortable Boutique Hotel in Stephen's Street South, called the "Grafton Capital." It is fully wheelchair-accessible; staffed by extremely friendly, helpful people; and more than comfortable, with a very nice restaurant/bar on-site ["Break for the Border"].

The rooms are quite good-sized; rather "old fashioned" in décor which, IMO, just adds to their warmth and comfort. Amenities are all that would be expected, including Broadband Wi-Fi access, in-room tea/coffee making, cable television, telephone, room service, trouser press and so forth. The overall quality of the Grafton Capital is very good ... better than most of it's mid-range contemporaries.

The hotel virtually 'round the corner from the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, Grafton Street, Great George's Street and a wonderful selection of restaurants within just one or two blocks [e.g.; Chatham Street and surrounding areas].

Even though I am disabled and have to use a mobility scooter, there was no shop/restaurant/pub/service I could not reach.

All-in-all, the Grafton Capital is to be highly recommended ... especially for those of us who have been frustrated by Dublin's slow response to the idea that accessibility is a right of all citizens, not a favour to be granted to "the second-class."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

UGC cinemas has lifts, a ramp, good access to cafe/ pub area (and not 100%sure if they have toilets but i think they do. the only problem is you have to go at the front of the theatre as there are stairs to climb if you want a back seat.

National Art Gallery, has lifts and on open plan layout to the cafes and exhibition area. they did have a disabled toilet although i havne't checked it's in working order.

Cafe en Seine, Dawson street is fairly open plan too, and doors are light easy to move on the way in, and tables can fit a manual wheelchair underneath if chairs are moved. wide aisles and waiters (for the most part), and good coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 78,209 ✭✭✭✭Victor

snorlax wrote:
    UGC cinemas has lifts, a ramp, good access to cafe/ pub area (and not 100%sure if they have toilets but i think they do. the only problem is you have to go at the front of the theatre as there are stairs to climb if you want a back seat.
    They do have accessible toilets in several places.

Problems:

* Screen 17 - you need to use two separate lifts.
    * Screen 4-16(?) - you need to go up in the lift and then down with a stair-lift, which people have the habit of taking for joyrides and breaking.

I have always found the UCI cinema in the Square Shopping center great.
    Plus, you get to sit at the highest point so get (imho) the best view.
    Also, because I am photosensitive I found the positioning of the wheelchair spot perfect in distance and also very near the exit door into the main area.

Also forgot to mention, Eddie Rockets diner, having looked at nearly every one of their diners in dublin, for SOME reason, they ALL seem to have a huge step in!! (in some places it even looks like it was PUT in as part of the "decor"!!........ methinks this needs to be investigated!)

b

• Advertisement

Zanzibar is fairly open plan too..plus they do two for one cocktails except for the weekend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dublin City Council have provided a central facility for recording results of your access audits or other accessibility issues here.

Luigi Malones temple bar, accessible toilets and a door that's fairly easy to open, lots of space too.

Snorlax, is that a italian restaurant? (Been looking for a good one).
    Whats the food & prices like?

b

• Advertisement

yes it is. and a good one too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Ivy House Drumcondra.

ivy1.jpg

Lovely large open pub with a great, mixed crowd and nice staff.

Some kool things about The Ivy House:
    They serve food till 930pm daily, and serve booze until 230am on Fri/Sat.
    The pub also functions as an art gallery and exhibits are changed around every 6 weeks.
    Weekend DJs usually play acid jazz mixed with soul, pop, electronic etc.
    Behind the bar they provide games for people to play, including jenga, cards, chess, guess who, connect 4 and more.

Accessability:
    Wide double doors at front, ground level, aswell as level access to the beer garden at the back of the pub. Disabled toilet facility.

Its been my local for a few years. Great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,630 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I absolutely *** HATE Temple Bar!! It's a ***!!! Whoever had the idea of putting cobblestones into a NEW(ish)area was either (a) thick or (b) a ****!!! I was pushing myself past Trinity College(yes I know it's got nothing to do with Temple Bar), and nearly broke my neck on COBBLESTONES while passing the front gate!!! A copper very kindly helped me across the cobbles, but when I asked him why the cobbles were in the middle of a PUBLIC footpath, he told me that it was because Trinity is a listed building!!!! These cobbles are outside the building between two footpaths!!?? Can the council do something about this before some poor sod does him/herself serious damage??? I think an anti cobblestone lobby group should be set up by disabled people????:mad:

womoma wrote:
    Lovely large open pub with a great, mixed crowd and nice staff.
    And a sandwich board outside for people to fall over.

Was in Roly's at the Pavillion (Dun Laoghaire) tonight - level entry, wide doors - but at bit cramped inside. They have a good sized accessible bathroom, with a leftover dining room chair taking up all the space in the transfer area. The gents loo was out of order with a sign referring all gents to the accessible loo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 petamour.com

A bit fancy now. But if you want to show to your Ma, the Westbury is lovely. I didn't check out the loos though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Guiness Hop store is acessable - was there with my mum who needs to use a wheelchair, staff were also very helpful. Rolys bistro (Ballsbridge) were very helpful, the only thing is that you have to ring in advance to make sure that you get a seating on the ground floor. Dundrum shopping center is particulary good, the only problem is that you get teenagers ramming the lifts and not letting you have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭tampopo

I absolutely *** HATE Temple Bar!! It's a ***!!! Whoever had the idea of putting cobblestones into a NEW(ish)area was either (a) thick or (b) a ****!!! I was pushing myself past Trinity College(yes I know it's got nothing to do with Temple Bar), and nearly broke my neck on COBBLESTONES while passing the front gate!!! A copper very kindly helped me across the cobbles, but when I asked him why the cobbles were in the middle of a PUBLIC footpath, he told me that it was because Trinity is a listed building!!!! These cobbles are outside the building between two footpaths!!?? Can the council do something about this before some poor sod does him/herself serious damage??? I think an anti cobblestone lobby group should be set up by disabled people????:mad:

Okay, for all the times I've complained about the dull boring (but smooth/flat) paving on Grafton Street, and said it should be done in a more 'authentic' cobblestone way, I apologise!!! I can see how TB is for wheelchair users, the paths are too narrow too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smallerworld

Hi,

Not to take away from the great posting and info sharing going on here but I'd like to mention my new site which is dedicated to wheelchair accessible places and locations.

SmallerWorld.ie went live last Thursday 12th and so far has reviews of a few pubs and restaurants. It's aimed at everybody, not just people with mobility difficulties. As a wheelchair user myself I cant count the amount of times I've been asked to go somewhere only to find it has steps or standard toilets or whatever... all when i arrived! Knowledge is power and all that so hence my idea for the site... bringing awareness to everyone!

Due to the logistics of one person (me!) reviewing ALL of Ireland's amenities I will be shortly taking in reviews from members anywhere! The online form to do this will be published soon but in the meantime you can email the site address and I'll credit you with the review.

Have a look and see what you all think anyway. Constructive criticism and ideas are of course welcome!

SmallerWorld.ie

Cheers,

Garreth :)

Hi Garrett - I would see substantial value in covering broader accessibility issues. The UK site http://www.directenquiries.com/ might give you some ideas of the kind of accessibility features that you could consider.

When I mentioned website accessibility, I was really thinking about the websites of the venues, rather than your own site. It would be helpful for a person with a visual impairment to know in advance whether the venue website is going to be accessible.

On your own site, I notice a fair few of the images (e.g. the venue photos) don't seem to have any alt-text - this means that people using screen readers won't be able to use these links. The Google Maps feature is great for a sighted reader, but not for a blind person. Maybe you could give longtitude/latitude information, so that those blind people who use GPS systems to navigate round the city on foot can find these venues. There is lots of information on web accessibility available at http://accessit.nda.ie/

It doesn't seem hugely complicated at the moment, but I guess a lot will depend on how it works as the volume of content grows. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smallerworld

Thanks for that! - those site will come in very useful

I hadnt actually forgotten about the alt tags - its on a (getting shorter) list of things to fix with the site! - again its down to discipline with that sort of thing etc - but ill have it fixed asap!

As regards the google maps lat/long - this is available in the reviews listings - if you look under "Listing Details" you'll see the lat and long just under the parking info

I had a quick at those links you posted and thanks again... although i think i will need to research this completely before I made any new features detailaing this for hearing or visually impaired people etc

Have you experience of this type of accessibility issue? if so whats been your experience in availability?

I take it this is an issue that is crying out for attention too? and maybe even less highlighted or apparant than wheelchair accessibility?

Hi Garrett - Most accessibility professionals are very conscious of accomodating the needs of people with all kinds of disabilities, including sensory, cognitive and mental health.

It is always good to see more attention for accessibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

Hiya, as my name suggests I run the city :)
    DCC have just audited all public buildings and parks (roads/streets is underway - BIG task as there is 1200km of roadway in city area alone) re their accessibility for persons with a disability.
    Results and recommendations of this audit will very shortly be published on a new website which will also invite citizens comments and submissions of further 'issues' noted by citizens in the city.
    The audit is a legal requirement for all local authorities and consultations and draft remedial implementation plans will shortly be underway.
    Also as part of this initiative, DCC will be assessing, initially 1000 premisies in city and publishing details of accessibility features (wheelchair access, toilets, braille, signage, lift access etc etc etc ) on this new website. More premises will be added on an ongoing basis.
    How helpful will this be?? Any suggestions (realistic ones!!!)???

Auditing is valuable, but it is just the first step on the path, not an end in itself. It is essential that the audits are followed up with sensible implementation plans to address the issues identified in the audits.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pub-forced-to-provide-toilet-for-disabled-as-presenter-wins-case-95542.html
    Pub forced to provide toilet for disabled as presenter wins case
    By Jason O'Brien
    Friday June 30 2006

AN RTE radio presenter has won a case against one of Dublin's most famous pubs after he was forced to leave the premises to go to the toilet because he is a wheelchair-user.
    Olan McGowan, who presents 'Outside the Box' on Radio One, took a case against Searson's Pub on Baggot Street on equality grounds because the pub has no wheelchair-accessible toilet.

Yesterday, Searson's undertook as part of a consent order from Dublin District Court to provide wheelchair-accessible toilets by December 1, and to pay €500 to Mr McGowan and €500 to the Irish Wheelchair Association.

"It was nothing to do with the money," Mr McGowan said. "I'm just thrilled that I can now go to Searson's, which is a great pub, and I can use the facilities there.

"It's great because I can count on my hands the number of pubs in Dublin where I can do that, so it's great to add one more."

Mr McGowan was attending a class reunion with 25 other people in Searson's last October when the incident occurred. During the evening, he approached a barman and asked whether there was a wheelchair-accessible toilet.

The barman said no and suggested Mr McGowan try the nearby Waterloo Bar. Mr McGowan subsequently sought the assistance of the Equality Authority.

No one was available for comment from Searson's Pub or the owners, the Thomas Read group, last night.

Niall Crowley of the Equality Authority said: "This outcome clarifies that the failure of licensed premises to provide toilets that are accessible to wheelchair-users constitutes less favourable treatment, is discriminatory and breaches service provider's obligations to provide reasonable accommodation for its customers with disabilities."

- Jason O'Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 megmarb

The Temple Bar--- They actually do have an accessible toilet that is huge. You could fit like 3 motorised wheelchairs in the bathroom at once. You have to ask one of the people at the bar for a key.

Cineworld on Parnell Street: It has accessible toilets along with seems to be overall really accessible with lifts to upper levels and stair lifts to get down to theaters that are down stairs.

Jurys Inn--- Parnell Street: This hotel has very accessible wheelchair accessible rooms. It is a great location since it is in the city centre and has overall some pretty good prices from time to time.

Jurys Inn- Christchurch: I don't know about the rooms, but I know that they have an accessible toilet in the lobby area. For motorised wheelchairs, it can be a little difficult, but it is possible to get in the room with some assistance.

Clarence Hotel-- I have never stayed there, but I know they have a wheelchair accessible toilet in the lobby. You have to ask for a key, but it overall a good bathroom. warning: it is a little narrow for some wheelchairs.

The Bank on Green--- Lift to get into the bar to the Left of the entrance. There is an accessible toilet on the entry level. (sister bars are supposedly accessible-- refer to http://www.droppingwell.com/ ; I emailed all of those bars and asked about the degree of accessiblity. they all supposedly have accessible toilets and ways to get into the bars/pubs)

Bewley's/Cafe BarDeli's on Grafton: Overall pretty accessible with accessible toilet in the basement. One issue of sorts is that the lift is not extremely wide for bigger wheelchairs, but it is viable to use.

Brown Thomas Department Store--- Accessible entry and accessible toilets. One downside is the floors are cluttered or filled with a lot of merchandise.

Debenhams Department Store: Accessible entry and accessible toilets that are very clean and no key is needed.

Touristy places, but accessible places at that:
    Old Jameson Distillery (There are some unaccessible paths to get there and some of the cobblestone type walkways that you may have to wheel in the street or something): accessible toilet, accessible tour,and accessible entry.

Guinness Storehouse: (worse in ways than the OJD to get to when it comes to narrow walkways, etc.) Multiple accessible toilets and lifts.

Christchurch Cathedral: accessible entry, but you have to ask for temporary ramp to be installed.

Kilmainham Gaol: accessible entry but you have to ask for temporary ramp to be installed. There is also accessible toilet and a lift in the museum. If the lift is not working, they will do a personal tour if possible.

Modern Art Museum at Kilmainham: It is accessible with accessible toilets and lifts to all levels.

Book of Kells: Accessible entry with lift to various different levels.

I have a list 14 page of places that are wheelchair accessible if anyone is interested that I researched and compiled. Some of the places are touristy, but most of the places are restaurants and shops in Dublin and Co. Dublin. And thank you to everyone on this thread, you really helped my sister and me find places in Dublin that are accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

There isnt actually very many wheelchair places in dublin when you think about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me is it illegal to split a premisies in two leaving the accessible toilet in one & therefore not having an accessible toilet in the other?

Thanks.
    Zel

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

Sorry, at the moment its a fast restaruant but want to split it into two units for different kinds of foods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

And the answer to my 2nd question above ("Are there standard toilets on both premises? ")?

Advertisement