Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I do hillwalking.mountaineering and a bit of boating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Theres no option for road cycling (racing) there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's a problem with editing polls at the moment Junii, I'll update it once the problem has been solved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

theTinker wrote:
    I'll be doing my first hill walk on sunday (9th july), i figure it would be a good place to meet people that are actually interested/passionate about something rather than "hanging out" all day :)

if anyone else is new and interested, its a easy hike, open to public.
    details of it at http://www.anoige.ie/calendar/hillwalking

Wish me luck!
    Ray
    Thanks for that link, I used to do this when I was (much) younger for a bit & I loved it. I'd love to get back into it. I'll be checking out An Óige soon for a walk I can make it to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Updated poll to include road cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Jambon

Love hilwalking, just pity i cant do it more often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love hillwalking. As Jambon said I wish I could do it more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mark k

camping(survival stuff) ,hill walking and most of all kayaking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

do the occasional orienteering great thing to do on a sunday when you would like to do something outdoorsie but couldn't climb a whole mountain.

Does fishing Count? I'm not talking about the guys you see in the summer catching bags of mackeral I'm talking about carrying a load of fishing gear of to some place in the back of beyonds on foot staying out the whole day/night

Do some hiking as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hume

I'm interested in climbing Mont blanc for a week in the summer. I have no idea where to get info from people who have done it or how I'd go about doing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as regards forums. How do I set up my own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i prefer camping/bushcraft myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lily73

I do waterskiing in Blessington. Everyone should have a go!! Its great craic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GardenGal

I'm really in hiking, camping, mountain biking, running and anything that gets me outside! Always told myself that I'd go sky-diving one of these days, has anyone done it or does anyone do it and what kind of experience is it???

I've had some friends do it and they absolutely LOVED --I'd love some feedback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Good to discover this section on boards, I'm a diver and power boater most of the time. Began Geocaching last year and that developed into hill walking and some two day hikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 natcatduff

If anyone is interested MS Ireland runs a walking group every month. They also then go off on walking trips to Nepal, Peru and Spain. Its a good way to meet like minded people in a chilled enviroment, the website is www.ms-society.ie... they are on facebook too http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin/The-MS-Ireland-Walks-and-Adventures/38537903120

It might be useful to some :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

Orienteering, (irish junior squad)
    mountain running
    mountain marathons (MMM)
    road biking went to the french alps for a month last summer
    mountain biking,
    camping but thats more to aid further running, cycling etc
    climbing mournes and glendalough,
    bit of hill walking but why walk when you can run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lynn2009

Hey,

Did you ever get a group together for hillwalking? Id be interested if you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dar_2000

Hi everyone,

I've just taken up hillwalking and mountaineering, anything to keep me out of the pub on a Sunday! I'm enjoying it immensley and would love to get involved in a group who share the same passion for the outdoors.

I'm struggling to get my friends hooked on the idea so need to start meeting some fellow climbers!

Anyone know of any social groups that get together to scale Irelands mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Visit www.meetup.com there are hillwalking groups listed there for Dublin Just post your name and you will be informed

Alternatively I have been involved in one very active group. PM me and I will give you contact number for organiser

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dar_2000

Hi Spinnaker,

Thanks for the advice. I found meetup.com very interesting. I've applied to join a group.

Thanks again,

Dar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Really like Hill walking but road cycling is the main interest for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hey all, long time lurker, first posting in this forum.

I'm living in the south west. I can be found cycling on the roads of west cork, screaming down the limerick hilltrails, puffing my way up the Tipp mountains, in the Kerry beaches or trying to run anywhere that will have me... (or in bed:confused:)
    Bit of a jack of all sports and master of none... but I'm happy out

I'm not a member of any specific clubs so feel free to think of me if anyone is looking for an extra body for outings etc, I'll give anything a go twice.

I am intrested in developing my skills around mountains though, rock, bouldering, rope work etc etc and available for all kinds of training etc.

So thats me,

Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Nordner

Mostly just into Hill-walking and general rambling, although I did used to do alot of Kyak surfing a few years back. Like to go places where there is some archeology or something else of interest to be explored.

Been using www.megalithomania.com for the last couple of years as a reference, then progressed on to www.mountainviews.ie . Both great sites for anyone interested in hill-walking and history.

From Donegal originally but am living in Dublin at the minute and really interested in doing a mountain leader course if anyone has any info at all.

Great forum btw. Want to give Lug a go this w/e and got some really good info on here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

God..... Boards just has every thing.

There was no option for "willing to give anything a stab."
    I do camp, but haven't in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Geniusforhire

From Dun Laoghaire area, hill walking whenever the old joints are loose enough to allow me. Planning on West Highland Way to celebrate Hawaii birthday next year, if anyone has personal experience of this walk please get back to me

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I do quite a lot, never really thought of it, 'till now.

Hiking(both light hill walking and mountaineering)
    Rock Climbing/Bouldering
    Sailing/Boating
    Kayaking
    Snorkelling
    Mountain Biking
    Road Biking
    Camping

And I'm not sure if it counts, but I've also taken up Longboarding and Freeboarding after skateboarding for years.

Longboarding

Freeboarding

I also like to dabble in snowboarding when ever I get a chance.
    Haven't bothered buying one yet. I really must.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

that freeboarding looks savage, its like drifting, how does that work...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shots

I felt like i was betraying snowboarders everywhere by clicking skiing on the poll ... im a snowboarder but it wasnt an option!

Freeboarding looks awesome!
    where do you do it?
    id love to give it a go!

You definately should buy your own snowboard i bought my own one this year i couldnt believe the difference its just amazing! plus prices have gone way down in these recessionary times!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

I'm a caver myself. Enjoy hiking and a bit of most things on the list. Getting in to climbing and plan on getting my lazyself back out running now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Been rock climbing since I was about 6, Done my Single pitch asessment and my Multipitch training. climbed in the morunes Wales, dalkey....Ucd

I did the clogher roadinnstructors course, and kinsale instructors course. So ive got a fair few under my belt and a lot of time in day boats and dingys.
    Got about 400 days behinde me on a snowboard, and I long board and surf Tho to a degree im not up on the old der sports i did but its like anything you dont really forget how to do them just out of practice.

I don't do kayaking tho...

Advertisement