Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

unkel wrote: »
    Seriously? :)

If he might be advising a potential buyer that the car is clocked, he would put that in the ad. And not hide the reg. I have words far worse than "con man" for the likes of him

I honestly think unless you called the seller and asked him directly if the mileage is genuine to what the car is now currently displaying it is unfair to be calling him a con man prior to this conversation.

The begrudgery part wasn't directed at you, my apologies.

I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone, just putting forward my own view on the matter. The ebay ad reads like a very genuine ad, and look at the sellers feedback. Before jumping to ominous conclusions I would just take a step back and consider that there might very well be a genuine explanation for the discrepancy, based on the tone of the ebay ad alone.

It would make more sense for the current seller to explain it (if there is one at all of course) over the phone or in person rather than in the ad. This is how most traders work; better to get them standing in front of it, or at least on the phone before hitting them with the faults, issues etc.

I would agree with this statement... the vehicle could of potentially had two clock changes in its lifetime hence discrepancies

• Registered Users Posts: 64,679 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone, just putting forward my own view on the matter. The ebay ad reads like a very genuine ad, and look at the sellers feedback. Before jumping to ominous conclusions I would just take a step back and consider that there might very well be a genuine explanation for the discrepancy, based on the tone of the ebay ad alone.

It would make more sense for the current seller to explain it (if there is one at all of course) over the phone or in person rather than in the ad. This is how most traders work; better to get them standing in front of it, or at least on the phone before hitting them with the faults, issues etc.

Question for you. If you were the current seller (knowing full well the MOT history so a bit of a discrepancy there with the mileage), would you block up the reg and sell it just like the current seller is selling it, advertising the lower mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

And... here is an interesting detail:

5 December 2015 (Mileage 192,200 miles) :)... And the exact same mileage in December 2014 ;).[/QUOTE]

Heres a better one Dec 2015 mileage 192200, Dec 2016 mileage 101652.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

unkel wrote: »
    Question for you. If you were the current seller (knowing full well the MOT history so a bit of a discrepancy there with the mileage), would you block up the reg and sell it just like the current seller is selling it, advertising the lower mileage?

I wouldn’t cover the reg in any instance, but also if I knew there was a mileage discrepancy I wouldn’t be mentioning it in the ad. I’d let someone call and/or see it first.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t cover the reg in any instance, but also if I knew there was a mileage discrepancy I wouldn’t be mentioning it in the ad. I’d let someone call and/or see it first.

Often classic vehicles are advertised as “recorded mileage” which is displayed mileage or unwarranted mileage.

In this case the mileage appears to be incorrect..

In my opinion the seller shouldn’t have advertised any mileage and explain his take on the mot history records for the vehicle when taking enquires.

P.s this seller has recently started covering up reg numbers of cars his selling.... so this one isn’t the first for him to hide the Reg.

I wouldn’t cover the reg in any instance

I'm glad you said that :)

Good points.

Whenever I see “xx miles on the clock” the first thing that comes to mind is that there is probably some discrepancy or something.

I agree with what you’re saying about the Merc. It probably would be best to not advertise any mileage, but something tells me there is a genuine explanation for it. The ad from eBay just seems far too genuine and it advertised 110k too. We can speculate all day though.

I noticed when he started using the “U FOUND ME” plates too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

my take on it is simple...anyone that covers a reg plate has something to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

A bit late to this conversation, but I was actually looking at the C123 on Car and Classic, (£3100 As stated) ad still there:
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1086176

I assume the clock failed and was left like that for 2xMOTs

Re the debate should the seller disclose the issue, I once had a W202 230k manual, bought from a dealer. The ad on carzone did not mention any faults. and the car was priced at 8k (IIRC). I picked up the phone and after a while he said that there was a slight crunch going into 1st the odd time, but only if you ram it in. He says I'll guarantee the box for 6 months and sell at 7k, why not come and view it and get it checked.

Had the car 6 years never a seconds trouble with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭elperello

oceanman wrote: »
    my take on it is simple...anyone that covers a reg plate has something to hide.

So I suppose what we learn from this is that if you are interested in a car just phone up and ask for the reg. no. If they won't tell you then decide if it's worth travelling to find out the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

assuming he gets say 3600 that's 600 profit. Seems alot if hassle for the money.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

80sDiesel wrote: »
    assuming he gets say 3600 that's 600 profit. Seems alot if hassle for the money.

I'd say the logic was that he was going to double his money before the mileage discrepancy appeared.

elperello wrote: »
    So I suppose what we learn from this is that if you are interested in a car just phone up and ask for the reg. no. If they won't tell you then decide if it's worth travelling to find out the reg.

In my experience in almost every case the seller was reluctant to reveal the reg. So I stopped bothering to ask. If I can't see the reg, I won't ring, let alone go see / buy the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Here's one on Irish plates, with an NCT and a much nicer colour scheme IMO for €3,750.

Ad seems a lot more trustworthy.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-coupe/21644070

MjQxYzAzY2M2NmRjMTBhMzE2Mjk5ZGI2NjYxMTBlYTmJivxx68ZAaQwgtOLqw2hPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI5NjYzMjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    YjI4Yzg1YmVkNTBhZDlkN2VhOTMzMGUzM2NlMmFiZWTsK0yVm1NQ7kmHtgf5SbDCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI5NjYzMzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    ZjFhNTRkMTM5ZDNiNzE1YmFkNWIyNDdmYzgyNmI5NzgLlb6DZlhXxxF_XmOUWlYgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI5NjYzMzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very nice 190 here, for a fair price by the looks of it. I like the OCD on getting the dials and vents straight on the interior shot.

190E 2.0 Auto, €56 tax 11/19 €3,500

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-190-2-0petrol-automatic/21619655

NjNmMDdiMDk2NzljNmIwMWVjY2ZkOTdlNjVmOGRhN2IWTndELsninMngr2D71WlEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI3ODAwMjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NWUxNjVhOGYwNjQxMTk5N2Y0MDU0OTM5YmJhNmZkZTWzCwiLWKrzbo_eXJvlb3HJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI3ODAwMzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That coupe would be a good buy.

Definite appreciating classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Something of that vintage is definitely on my list for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭w124man

KevRossi wrote: »

I like the OCD on getting the dials and vents straight on the interior shot.

NWUxNjVhOGYwNjQxMTk5N2Y0MDU0OTM5YmJhNmZkZTWzCwiLWKrzbo_eXJvlb3HJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI3ODAwMzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

If he was that OCD he would have bought a piece of trim for the gear selector!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Was it aimed at me ? All I did was point out he'd bought it Sunday on ebay and was now selling it on Friday for 1k more - a nice little profit if he gets his asking, but I never meant it to be begrudging - fair play to him, it was half my intention myself ( although I would have driven it about for 6 months ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Here's one on Irish plates, with an NCT and a much nicer colour scheme IMO for €3,750.

Ad seems a lot more trustworthy.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-coupe/21644070

There is 3k+ tax to pay on that before its vintage and its not the 6 cylinder - it's no way as desirable as the other to me.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Was it aimed at me ? All I did was point out he'd bought it Sunday on ebay and was now selling it on Friday for 1k more - a nice little profit if he gets his asking, but I never meant it to be begrudging - fair play to him, it was half my intention myself ( although I would have driven it about for 6 months ! )

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start an argument with anyone last night. Just let things get a bit too heated :)

Nice W123 here, NCT to 02/20, €7,950 might be a bit steep but that's where these cars are going and this looks a lot better than a lot of other cars out there.

Has the look of a government car of the day, but no mention of it in the ad. Merc leather of the time was nice too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1983-mercedes-230e-original-irish/21677379

YjMxNWI1NzQ3MjQyMjI1YWQ1YTMzM2E2OTMyOWJlYTRNCjvXntHO2Eia-TenTQdHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMxODczNzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is rare. Reg checks out for the year too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-gypsy-1964/21671427

YzUzMDY0N2ZiMzIzZDRjYmE5YTk5OTc3ZTU4NDk3ODNtUvRHT8TCu0HLOjOCgiC3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMxNDA0NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Beautiful, but that ZV looks shyte on it. Maybe ACE plates or pressed plates,not white plastic.

Beautiful, but that ZV looks shyte on it. Maybe ACE plates or pressed plates,not white plastic.

Agree. They went to the trouble of getting a small print one too. I'd be tempted to get one made up white/orange on black in the old Italian style.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nice W123 here, NCT to 02/20, €7,950 might be a bit steep but that's where these cars are going and this looks a lot better than a lot of other cars out there.

Has the look of a government car of the day, but no mention of it in the ad. Merc leather of the time was nice too.

This is rare. Reg checks out for the year too.

They used the 230 as ministerial car. Judging by the mileage it could have been a Dublin based minister.

The Austin Gipsy is most likely formerly government owned as well. The OPW used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Who'd buy that though? Another 4-5 grand in motor tax before it is vintage. No NCT (expired 2 days ago). High mileage.

This looks like it might be a decent project

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/lada-1979/21692152

MTIzMWNkNmEwMzI0ZDY4NTk0MDMyMDg3ZDliYTEwMGNzf-U31TZvOsXKZV3ise3qaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMyODk5MzF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Test exempt, cool colour, recent work done...not running

Still though. Get it for say, €2k, spent a few hundred fixing it and run it for the Summer and you'd surely be quids up when it comes time to sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,561 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Advertisement