Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

sent the wife up for a redbreast 12 and she came back with a glendalough double barrell. i have to say it was very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So irrelevant then for Ireland.
    I'm talking about what I paid in Ireland, in Tesco. I said € not $
    In Australia it's probably $100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Mellor wrote: »

Considering it's €46 in Duty Free, I very much doubt you're regularly picking it up for €40 in your local Tescos.

You said it was underpriced and then quoted a price that it doesn't retail for as justification - your argument literally makes no sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why are you basing your value related opinion on a price you once picked up a bottle of redbreast 12 for rather than the price it is usually available for?

Just to remind you, you said:
    Mellor wrote:
    Redbreast 12 is severely under priced, imo

The regular price in Tesco is €63.50, I've actually never seen it for €40 in the Republic of Ireland at all so you got quite a deal!

For me, RB12, at €60-€65, is not at all underpriced, never mind "severely under priced"

Considering it's €46 in Duty Free, I very much doubt you're regularly picking it up for €40 in your local Tescos.
    Honestly, I don't care if you believe me.
    But I've provide websites selling it at €44 year round. Is 10% cheaper a stretch for you.
    The regular price in Tesco is €63.50, I've actually never seen it for €40 in the Republic of Ireland at all so you got quite a deal!

For me, RB12, at €60-€65, is not at all underpriced, never mind "severely under priced"
    I never said it was underpriced at €65. Anyone paying that RRP that needs their head checked when it's readily availible at 40-50.

As you mention the republic. I think it was £32 up the north - posted on here at the time. Now that's a special price. Especially when shops are taking euro 1:1.
    Those days are probably gone. Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Just picked up a bottle of Laphroaig four oak for 40 quid, looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

RB12 can be got for £36 on Amazon

I never said it was underpriced at €65. Anyone paying that RRP that needs their head checked when it's readily availible at 40-50.

Al

Why would they need their head checked when you think it's severely underpriced at the price you're paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I haven't drank whiskey in a while but am fond of Bushmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Infernum wrote: »
    I haven't drank whiskey in a while but am fond of Bushmills.

Treat yourself to the 10yo sometime. Very nice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Why would they need their head checked when you think it's severely underpriced at the price you're paying?
    Because I wasn't paying RRP. :confused:

If something is handily available, at £36/$45. Your mad to be paying €65. Regardless of its inherent value.
    I dont understand which part of that is confusing you.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Treat yourself to the 10yo sometime. Very nice.
    If either of you like the sherry influence of the 10 ( as in black bush). The 12 from the distillery is good too. All sherry finished iirc.

Because I wasn't paying RRP. :confused:

If something is handily available, at £36/$45. Your mad to be paying €65. Regardless of its inherent value.
    I dont understand which part of that is confusing you.

It's not handily available at £36 or $45 or whatever else you seem to be working in - this is Ireland and we use euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can we move on from the price of RB?

It's not handily available at £36 or $45 or whatever else you seem to be working in - this is Ireland and we use euros
    Last I check online shopping was allow in Ireland. It's been mentioned where it's availible at those prices multiple times. Really not sure why you so out of sorts over the idea.
    I've nothing else to say, so won't be replying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Worth pointing out for posters that it's not that clear cut when it comes to buying alcohol from a seller outside of Ireland, even within the EU. The seller needs to charge you Irish excise duty on behalf of Revenue.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/alcohol-products-tax/alcohol-products-tax/when-do-i-pay-alcohol-products-tax.aspx

Amazon doesn't do this for example although some chance their arm and use parcel forwarding services to get it here. Shipping alcohol through a forwarding service is usually against their terms and conditions.

The buyer can have the alcohol seized and be asked to pay duty and other charges in order to get it released. Buyer beware.

The cheapest a friend got RB12 for was €88 for 2 bottles including the cost of the parcel forwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

The price of whiskey in Ireland leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The tax is ridiculous on our own whiskey. It doesn't make sense to me I can get a bottle produced in Ireland for at times a third/half the price in other EU states.

The price here just excludes people who might actually enjoy whiskey and want to try some of the better stuff but can't as it's too expensive.

It's one of the products we produce that we should be proud of it's internationally recognition and celebrate it's history but again we tax it to the hills and make it hard for our own people to simply enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Worth pointing out for posters that it's not that clear cut when it comes to buying alcohol from a seller outside of Ireland, even within the EU.

It's very clear cut.
    All alcohol imported is liable to duty and VAT.

The only exception to this is if you accompany alcohol from an EU country and can demonstrate that it's for personal consumption and has local taxes paid on it)
    (eg. typical wine runs to France)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The price of whiskey in Ireland leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The tax is ridiculous on our own whiskey. It doesn't make sense to me I can get a bottle produced in Ireland for at times a third/half the price in other EU states.

The price here just excludes people who might actually enjoy whiskey and want to try some of the better stuff but can't as it's too expensive.

It's one of the products we produce that we should be proud of it's internationally recognition and celebrate it's history but again we tax it to the hills and make it hard for our own people to simply enjoy it.

13.25e for a bottle of Jameson in my local shop :):):)

Interesting 15 minute BBC podcast on blended scotch whisky, maybe a bit ott on the johnnie walker focus but worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004dzy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got given a bottle of the mass release of the Shackleton necromancy blend (the 40% one) as a thank you for something. Pretty decent. Especially good for a mass market Whyte & Mackay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Having a dram of monkey shoulder.

Was gifted a 1L bottle
    Decent stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anyone seen Bushmills 21 year at a good price recently? Looking to pick up a bottle for my da's birthday in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I was surprised to read the following report in today's Irish edition of The Times:-

"The rise of Conor McGregor’s brand, variously dismissed and even ridiculed by reviewers after its launch last September, has shocked the industry. Distilled and distributed by Bushmills, it has since sold 200,000 cases, despite being available only in Ireland, the US, the UK and Australia.

I haven't tried it myself, nor do I plan to; but I understood from comments here and elsewhere that the whiskey wasn't particularly exceptional. I wonder what percentage of the bottles were purchased either as presents or for consumption by Irish whiskey 'virgins' attracted by McGregor's notoriety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Squatter wrote: »
    I haven't tried it myself, nor do I plan to; but I understood from comments here and elsewhere that the whiskey wasn't particularly exceptional. I wonder what percentage of the bottles were purchased either as presents or for consumption by Irish whiskey 'virgins' attracted by McGregor's notoriety.

Can't speak for anywhere else but nearly every pub in Derry seems to stock it. It was a perfect tool for advertising the McGregor fight on social media. I also saw plenty of people posting on Facebook/Twitter with a bottle of it during the fight. Have never heard a "connoisseur" talking highly of it but then they're a small part of the whiskey market. This is aimed at people who drink JD & coke after all.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Can't speak for anywhere else but nearly every pub in Derry seems to stock it. It was a perfect tool for advertising the McGregor fight on social media. I also saw plenty of people posting on Facebook/Twitter with a bottle of it during the fight. Have never heard a "connoisseur" talking highly of it but then they're a small part of the whiskey market. This is aimed at people who drink JD & coke after all.

Exactly, at that level it's about 20% the product itself and 80% the marketing of it. It could be any basic blended grain whisk(e)y in that bottle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I don't think a lot of those people will be repurchasing Proper 12, I would think a lot was bought on hype, for the fight, for gifts, bring to parties when it launched etc, which is totally fine. If a small selection of those people choose to scale up and try other Irish whiskey, I think that's a win for the category. Customers have to start somewhere. Getting people to try/buy the first time is easy, repeat consumption of one brand, especially in a very crowded Irish spirits market (whiskey & gin), is difficult.

Where the category suffers is not being clear about where the spirit is sourced. Even casual consumers are becoming more aware about where whiskeys are coming from. McGregor has tweeted recently about it being it "Irish owned forever" and the "only true Irish whiskey left", which is not true. If he is technically a brand ambassador for the product, then all his tweets could be considered marketing communications, and therefore would need to adhere to the standards set for advertising of alcohol... Hmm, I'm off to think about that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Squatter wrote: »
    I was surprised to read the following report in today's Irish edition of The Times:-

I would say 70% at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

irish_goat wrote:

Anytime I'm in Derry I struggle to get a decent whiskey. A whiskey trail like Kilkenny or Galway would be good. It's a pity the distillery in Ebrington was cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Spotted a bottle of Proper No Twelve behind the counter at a random restaurant with absolutely no Irish connection on the non-touristy side of Gran Canaria recently. Only other Irish whiskies were Jameson and Tullamore DEW. Seemed to be a good dent made into the bottle too!

If I wasn't driving, I think I would have given into temptation and finally sampled a drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement