Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listening to a bit of the show tonight, he hit the nail on the head about RTe and all the cronyism in it, with Jennifer Maguire getting her own radio show, funnily enough just after she was DWTS presenter.

Thats her for life now, on the gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Liked the mairead comment about happiness and working with buzzkill for 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

"Maybot" is now being re-cast as LINO (Leader in Name only)
    Hard to nail down, easy to walk on.
    I always think Callan's use of Maybot is a hat-tip to John Crace who created the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Marty morrisey sketch was good last night. Liked marian taking the piss out of the happy pear guys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Story in Irish Times today saying varadkar gave a bad tempered ill considered and bitchy speech attacking Callan a few days ago.

It went down badly among the audience.

Varadkar knew Callan wasn’t present and he left before Callan was due to appear.

Seems very smarmy and cowardly carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Seems very smarmy and cowardly carry on.

So entirety as expected then.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Marty Morrissey sketch about wild roses was good.

That Game Of Thrones/Brexit mash-up was predictable.

C-

Must try harder :D

That ‘Liberal Ladies’ sketch has never been funny.

That ‘Liberal Ladies’ sketch has never been funny.
    Banned

:pac:

Next you'll be telling us John Creedon isn't sound. Just listening back to the most recent show now. Have to admit it hasn't been Callan's best season.

• Advertisement

Quite brave to make a sketch from Lyra McKee’s funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Banned

:pac:

Next you'll be telling us John Creedon isn't sound. Just listening back to the most recent show now. Have to admit it hasn't been Callan's best season.

Correct Ty... his so called ‘political’ stance on twitter and in the papers has soured people off him.

He hasn’t realised that the true impact of a so called ‘satarist’ is that the audience can’t determine what his/her real feelings are.

Callan tries too hard to pillory people ‘doing things ‘ and ignores those ‘ not doing things’

I think his race is run to be honest, credibility shot to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,754 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Nothing more than, "be back in the autumn" from RTE. I wish they'd give a date for the start of the next series.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Quite brave to make a sketch from Lyra McKee’s funeral.

I thought it was 'off". It wasn't funny. Why look for mirth there ? It just wasn't right.

End of the series! I'm distraught!
    I thought the squabbling politicians was spot on. Whose sensistivities might have been disturbed? Only theirs I think.
    The Des Cahill sketch was very good too. I was hoping for some Dobbo.

Roll on next season. A hightlight of the radio week; creative, inventive, well written details, very entertaining. And well done to RTE for not sparing their "big beasts".

End of the series! I'm distraught!
    I thought the squabbling politicians was spot on. Whose sensistivities might have been disturbed? Only theirs I think.
    The Des Cahill sketch was very good too. I was hoping for some Dobbo.

Roll on next season. A hightlight of the radio week; creative, inventive, well written details, very entertaining. And well done to RTE for not sparing their "big beasts".
    I would probably have agreed with you at the beginning of the season. but I haven't enjoyed a single episode from the present season of Callan's Kicks.

The Liberal Ladies was one exception where Callan made wonderful use of irony, insight and wit. I tend to agree with Brendan Bendar's point of view, a few posts back, that this show is not really satirical at all. It's more a send-up of one's superiors, much as might occur in a workplace cafeteria, but the real joke is of course on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,754 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I rather enjoyed the musical numbers.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I would probably have agreed with you at the beginning of the season. but I haven't enjoyed a single episode from the present season of Callan's Kicks.

The Liberal Ladies was one exception where Callan made wonderful use of irony, insight and wit. I tend to agree with Brendan Bendar's point of view, a few posts back, that this show is not really satirical at all. It's more a send-up of one's superiors, much as might occur in a workplace cafeteria, but the real joke is of course on us.

His "superiors"? Would that be Enda/Leo or Marian/SOR? If he's harnessed some inferiority complex then more credit to him. But I doubt that.
    Humour vs satire? I'm not bovvered ... enough of each to keep me entertained.

In RTE-land, practically a desert for any newly commissioned humour, satire or radio drama, Callan Kicks is a welcome oasis - and it's put together with great attention to detail.

While I'm here..
    - Reminding us of Enda's lavish pension payments was a bit didactic but worth repeating all the same.
    Did Callan ever do a number on Enda's extraction of a grant from a Health Care budget (intended for ill people) for his cycling club?
    Could have had potential. Enda and his mates doing a charity cycle on expensive carbon fibre for sick people on trolleys.

- A better line would have been..
    "Oh You're Michael and he's Danny. You must have swopped caps"

Au-revoir and thanks Callan. Keep on kicking against the pricks. (That's a biblical reference. I'm not insulting any revered national figures.)
    Back to yet more sports reporting now, isn't it. Oh whoopie.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I rather enjoyed the musical numbers.
    Yes, a new departure, and a good voice too.

His "superiors"? Would that be Enda/Leo or Marian/SOR?
    I'm just being slightly derisive by referring to some government figures and senior broadcasters as our 'superiors', although I am pretty confident that that is how some of them see themselves.

• Advertisement

His "superiors"? Would that be Enda/Leo or Marian/SOR? If he's harnessed some inferiority complex then more credit to him. But I doubt that.
    Humour vs satire? I'm not bovvered ... enough of each to keep me entertained.

In RTE-land, practically a desert for any newly commissioned humour, satire or radio drama, Callan Kicks is a welcome oasis - and it's put together with great attention to detail.

While I'm here..
    - Reminding us of Enda's lavish pension payments was a bit didactic but worth repeating all the same.
    Did Callan ever do a number on Enda's extraction of a grant from a Health Care budget (intended for ill people) for his cycling club?
    Could have had potential. Enda and his mates doing a charity cycle on expensive carbon fibre for sick people on trolleys.

- A better line would have been..
    "Oh You're Michael and he's Danny. You must have swopped caps"

Au-revoir and thanks Callan. Keep on kicking against the pricks. (That's a biblical reference. I'm not insulting any revered national figures.)
    Back to yet more sports reporting now, isn't it. Oh whoopie.

Kind of exposing yourself here Wheels, another ‘agin anyone in charge’ brigade.
    Callan would have a lot more credibility if he ‘exposed’ the cretins who rode on the backs of those who did nothing,other than criticize those who have to implement policy.

Callan writes for a so-called ‘newspaper’ and his views are well known.

Hammer the the person trying to implement sensible policy..... support the tool who games the system 24/12/365 as a way of getting at the establishment.

Populist rhetoric, Mom and Apple Pie politics, hurler on the ditch...

This tool has no influence in any sensible debate on any subject.

Just a self promoting idiot who anybody with any sense should ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Hammer the the person trying to implement sensible policy..... support the tool who games the system 24/12/365 as a way of getting at the establishment.
    Yes indeed - a satirist should attack the poor and support the rich. Have I got that right? :rolleyes:
    Just a self promoting idiot who anybody with any sense should ignore.
    By your own logic, you don't have any sense - because you don't ignore him.

Kind of exposing yourself here Wheels, another ‘agin anyone in charge’ brigade.

Did I expose a political view on boards? How careless of me.

TDs' and ministers' pension provisions are lavish. Hardly controversial.
    Enda's wangling a grant for his cycle club from a health budget intended for other purposes was a particularly petty piece of cronyism. Deserved the Callan treatment and I'd have liked to hear the result.

Bit ironic that here in Radio everyone in charge at RTE is a target for relentless criticism.

Now that's enough off-topic me-thinks. See you next series hopefully. Could Maybot still be in No10 come the Autumn? Could 10k people still be homeless? (Damn! did it again. So careless.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Could 10k people still be homeless?
    I loved that sketch with Murphs and Theesh celebrating the number of homeless crossing the 10K mark, like it was an achievement to be proud of ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They certainly were lavish, though the change in rules in the 2000s means that newer, younger TDs and Ministers get the same pension as any public servant on equivalent grades - no more pensions for 40 year olds stepping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They certainly were lavish, though the change in rules in the 2000s means that newer, younger TDs and Ministers get the same pension as any public servant on equivalent grades - no more pensions for 40 year olds stepping down.
    Unless you are Brian Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

serfboard wrote: »
    Yes indeed - a satirist should attack the poor and support the rich. Have I got that right? :rolleyes:

By your own logic, you don't have any sense - because you don't ignore him.

I do, but I still want to expose the utter crap he comes up with.

New series begins tomorrow night at 6.30pm.

Pretty poor timing, considering there is nothing happening politics-wise at the moment :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

New series begins tomorrow night at 6.30pm.

Pretty poor timing, considering there is nothing happening politics-wise at the moment :pac:

There's always "The Pest from the West". Not Enda Kenny, I mean Damp Squib Lorenzo.

Advertisement