Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favorite World Championship

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It has to be the 2007 one between Barney and Taylor. Greatest sporting event I've been at.

I also have great memories of Andy Fordham winning the BDO in 2004. I was a fan of his at the time and it was great to see him win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

1999-2001 BDO World championships.

Got into darts in December 1998 but the PDC was a bit of a non event with Taylor winning.

The lakeside had some great games and top players around this time. Barney, Mason, Baxter, Adams, Ted, Fordham, and felt way more competitive.

Looking at it now it seems surreal. Something of a lost era. Compared to what darts has become its like a different world.

2011 and 2013 were 2 of the better years of the PDC worlds I can recall. 2011 for Taylors grip on the event starting to loosen. 2013 for the amount of drama and the emergence of MVG only to lose out to Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

My earliest memory of darts is seeing the Deller v Bristow final in 1983, and that's where my interest started..
    I was only a young fella and the memory is hazy, but hard to beat that one in my view, given the profle and success of Bristow at the time
    Classic (young) under-dog story

Followed a few months later by Cliff Thorburn's televised 147 in the Emabssy World Snooker - I remember that as clear as day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

boomdocker wrote: »
    My earliest memory of darts is seeing the Deller v Bristow final in 1983, and that's where my interest started..
    I was only a young fella and the memory is hazy, but hard to beat that one in my view, given the profle and success of Bristow at the time
    Classic (young) under-dog story

Followed a few months later by Cliff Thorburn's televised 147 in the Emabssy World Snooker - I remember that as clear as day!

Ah Cliff Thorburn, paint would dry quicker than he’d take a shot, I remember that 147 too, can’t remember how long it took but knowing Cliff it wasn’t quick :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

watching darts since the early 90's, the first lakeside championships i remember as clear as day is 94 when part defeated bobby george in about 45 minutes because of bobby's broken back. Although i do vaguely remember taylor, lowe etc before that.
    Richie burnett after this was a fantastic player who couldnt do much against steve beaton the following year but who should of really beaten barney again in 98. I think the amount of missed doubles he had wore him down eventually.
    People seem to forget how strong the bdo side of the darts was up until the early 2000's. My personal favourite though will always be part defeating taylor in 2003. He had so utterly dominated the circuit for so many years and was undefeated in the worlds for 8 years . The fact that he had beaten part 7-0 in the 2001 final and again the folloing year 5/6-0 in the quarter finals yet part showed the resilience to come back and defeat him 7-6 in '03 has my never ending respect for the man, a fantastic game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

volono wrote: »
    watching darts since the early 90's, the first lakeside championships i remember as clear as day is 94 when part defeated bobby george in about 45 minutes because of bobby's broken back. Although i do vaguely remember taylor, lowe etc before that.
    Richie burnett after this was a fantastic player who couldnt do much against steve beaton the following year but who should of really beaten barney again in 98. I think the amount of missed doubles he had wore him down eventually.
    People seem to forget how strong the bdo side of the darts was up until the early 2000's. My personal favourite though will always be part defeating taylor in 2003. He had so utterly dominated the circuit for so many years and was undefeated in the worlds for 8 years . The fact that he had beaten part 7-0 in the 2001 final and again the folloing year 5/6-0 in the quarter finals yet part showed the resilience to come back and defeat him 7-6 in '03 has my never ending respect for the man, a fantastic game.

Some great BDO finals alright

List of finalists:

http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/TournamentDetails.aspx?TournKey=2

TbL

Advertisement