Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reseeding ground

• 17-04-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have a field there that was cleared from bushes and trees with a digger there last year and the field is going to be sprayed to prevent them coming back. I need to reseed it but it is rocky enough ground there is poor grass coming back onto it but need to seed it i was wondering after i spray it shall i harrow it then seed it or what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve seen mulchers online that go maybe 4-6 inches down and mulch a fine seedbed.
    Always thought it would be a great job for ground like your describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

On stony or shallow ground I've seen the following. Spray then a light run with power harrow to tear the sod then a run of a heavy disc harrow and followed by a second run of the power harrow going deeper. Does a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

On stony or shallow ground I've seen the following. Spray then a light run with power harrow to tear the sod then a run of a heavy disc harrow and followed by a second run of the power harrow going deeper. Does a fine job.

One run of a powerharrow following by broadcasting would do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    One run of a powerharrow following by broadcasting would do the job

Probably. Grass is an easy crop to grow. Some just like to make a big job of it , myself included.
    Spray, plough, harrow headlands and any rough ploughing, roll, lime, harrow, level, roll, fert, set grass, harrow and roll.

Probably. Grass is an easy crop to grow. Some just like to make a big job of it , myself included.
    Spray, plough, harrow headlands and any rough ploughing, roll, lime, harrow, level, roll, fert, set grass, harrow and roll.

Around here we give it a light run of power harrow and I can seed with grass harrow after. I'm currently reseeding kale fields with the grass harrow and getting the farmer to level of with z landleveller first. Cheap and cheerful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    Around here we give it a light run of power harrow and I can seed with grass harrow after. I'm currently reseeding kale fields with the grass harrow and getting the farmer to level of with z landleveller first. Cheap and cheerful

Ahh sher that’s not reseeding at all, what about the days of picking stones :(

_Brian wrote: »

Crawl back into your cave lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_Brian wrote: »

If you want to pick stones , I'll give you my address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

If you want to pick stones , I'll give you my address

And when you're done there let me know and I'll keep you busy for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Disc harrow is your only man for the stoney ground. Do it here. Brings up very few stones compared to the plough. Normally takes a minimum of 4 runs before sowing. The first run seems nothing has happend put after the second run it starts coming together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement