Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What is the cause of the delays in Summer...

My regular evening flight runs through the Winter almost always on time or early, with the aircraft typically inbound from Amsterdam and it spends an hour on the ground.

The same flight is scheduled an hour later in the Summer and is usually very late leaving Dublin even when it arrives from Vienna on time (not often). It can be on the ground for two hours before any taxiing.

It is literally like a switch since Mar 31 from the same airport at roughly the same time of day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

dfx- wrote: »
    What is the cause of the delays in Summer...

My regular evening flight runs through the Winter almost always on time or early, with the aircraft typically inbound from Amsterdam and it spends an hour on the ground.

The same flight is scheduled an hour later in the Summer and is usually very late leaving Dublin even when it arrives from Vienna on time (not often). It can be on the ground for two hours before any taxiing.

It is literally like a switch since Mar 31 from the same airport at roughly the same time of day.
    I don’t know the specific flight you’re talking about but generally the summer schedule is a disaster for air traffic congestion. Flights will often be assigned a CTOT which is a restricted(delayed) take off time to prevent overloading certain air space at one time. Airlines tend to ramp up schedules in the summer, it’s when they make money, and it’s reaching a point where there’s to many flights to manage at once. Particularly if there’s a weather event or strike.
    This in my experience is the primary cause of delays in the summer for short haul flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I have a 1 hr 40 minute "wait" between an Aer Linghus flight from Dublin and a United Flight to Cleveland in Dulles. Is this too tight or is it doable? Dublin flight arrives at 1535 in Terminal B and the CLE flight takes off from terminal C at 1715.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭steve-o

Kalyke wrote: »
    I have a 1 hr 40 minute "wait" between an Aer Linghus flight from Dublin and a United Flight to Cleveland in Dulles. Is this too tight or is it doable? Dublin flight arrives at 1535 in Terminal B and the CLE flight takes off from terminal C at 1715.
    Plenty of time. Take the aerotrain (it goes via the central terminal, just stay on the train to get to C).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Locker10a wrote: »
    I don’t know the specific flight you’re talking about but generally the summer schedule is a disaster for air traffic congestion. Flights will often be assigned a CTOT which is a restricted(delayed) take off time to prevent overloading certain air space at one time. Airlines tend to ramp up schedules in the summer, it’s when they make money, and it’s reaching a point where there’s to many flights to manage at once. Particularly if there’s a weather event or strike.
    This in my experience is the primary cause of delays in the summer for short haul flights.

EI276/277, primarily the departure of 276 and its variability. It was a little quicker yesterday, just an hour on the ground, but was late from Vienna so still late departing.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    EI276/277, primarily the departure of 276 and its variability. It was a little quicker yesterday, just an hour on the ground, but was late from Vienna so still late departing.

Tbh it just looks like it’s just the standard poor turnaround performance and congestion in Dublin that’s causing the issue. There’s been no major delays since the beginning of April but granted a few days with delays of less than an hour.
    Dublin have been using runway 10 a lot the past few weeks and this always means long taxi ques for the runway and taxi way traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Is there anyway to find out what plane I'll be getting from just the flight no.?
    I thought there would be a way to find out what sort of plane EI 782 would use, facilities etc?

Surely this information is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

youngblood wrote: »
    Is there anyway to find out what plane I'll be getting from just the flight no.?
    I thought there would be a way to find out what sort of plane EI 782 would use, facilities etc?

Surely this information is available?

It tends to be operated by an A321 during the week and an A320 at the weekend but is subject to change. Either way it'll be an A32X

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Facilities wise, there is a reclining seat and a tray table. Toilets at the front and the back.
    No TVs or WiFi. Food/drinks is for purchase onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mikeyshragh

Hi can anyone give me advise please

I booked tickets for my family in June. My son is 2 now but I was told sense he is 2 now he is no longer 0-2 and he is in group 2-11 when booking they ticket. Ryanair chat has to me I have to book a new ticket for him. But it’s not going to let me book a ticket for an a 2 year old on his own. Has anyone had a problem like this. They holiday is hinging on this. I can afford to buy another 2 tickets again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Hi can anyone give me advise please

I booked tickets for my family in June. My son is 2 now but I was told sense he is 2 now he is no longer 0-2 and he is in group 2-11 when booking they ticket. Ryanair chat has to me I have to book a new ticket for him. But it’s not going to let me book a ticket for an a 2 year old on his own. Has anyone had a problem like this. They holiday is hinging on this. I can afford to buy another 2 tickets again.

It’s not possible to add a child under 16 to an existing flight reservation, however you can make a new separate reservation if you wish and link the bookings.

The reservation for the child under 16 needs to be booked online (as an adult), once the booking has been made you will need to contact us via chat or you can call our call centre and speak with one of our team to link the child’s booking with an adults booking.

Linking the bookings is free if done within 24 hours of making the original adult’s booking. If outside of 24 hours there is a fee of €/£30 to link the bookings together.

Bookings can only be linked up to 4 hours before the scheduled time of departure and cannot be linked at the airport.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/post-booking-changes/link-a-booking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I had a similar issue as my sons age changed bands between the flight out to France and the flight back from France, he went from 2-11 to 12-16 or w/e, and it would not let me check in / pre-register passport details, so I changed his DoB by a month to avoid the problem and it worked grand, no one cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you change age groups whilst away, you check in free at airport in my experience. Op, I don't understand how it happened as it asks for DOB when booking infant flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi all,

Do Aer Lingus allow you to put your cabin bag in the hold if you request to at the check in desk?

Yes if the flight is full/they are expecting an excess of luggage in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Am i right in thinking that a Dublin flight to Vancouver will have the same cabin pressure as one to Spain? Is it pretty much the same from 35-40000 feet?

Pretty much. I believe normal cabin pressure at cruising altitude is approx 8000ft. Open to informed correction though.

The A380 and the B787 have a lower cabin pressure (6000ft?) which means the flight is easier on the body. Not sure if A350 offers this, I assume it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Tenger wrote: »
    Pretty much. I believe normal cabin pressure at cruising altitude is approx 8000ft. Open to informed correction though.

The A380 and the B787 have a lower cabin pressure (6000ft?) which means the flight is easier on the body. Not sure if A350 offers this, I assume it does.

A350 is the same. (1800m).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is it pretty much the same from 35-40000 feet?
    It depends on the aircraft type and not the route, as others have said, it is usually around 8000 feet cabin pressure, but some aircraft can get it down to about 4000 feet. They say that the lower cabin altitudes are better for you, but I have never really felt the benefit and we routinely fly with a cabin altitude between sea level and 6200 feet but usually always at the same 9.x PSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭notuslimited

Hi. I’ve been trying to log onto the app for the last 2 days and I get a message that says my request cannot be processed at this time and to try again later. I can log on using the desktop site. Anybody care to suggest what I need to do?

• Advertisement

Contact Aer Lingus on social media and get advice from the horses mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I doubt anyone has experience with this. I'm on a united flight Dublin to Newark, but booked with a luftanasa basic economy fare. The carry on restriction is 8KG. And that's low... Is United likely to enforce this? They don't seem to have a carry on weight limit so will they even check?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Looking to book Fast track for T1 in Dublin next week as I will be a little tight for time. It is offering times in 15 minute intervals.
    Not sure exactly when I’ll be going through, depends on traffic and getting bus from Red car park.
    Are they really strict with this or can you go through more or less any time around the time you booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

It doesnt matter

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

errlloyd wrote: »
    I doubt anyone has experience with this. I'm on a united flight Dublin to Newark, but booked with a luftanasa basic economy fare. The carry on restriction is 8KG. And that's low... Is United likely to enforce this? They don't seem to have a carry on weight limit so will they even check?
    Not sure if they dont have limit. They might check only at check in desk ( if you are checking in there or your party has checkin baggage to leave)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I'm flying transatlantic with Aer Lingus tomorrow and Seat Selection isn't available at all for the outbound flight.

Would that mean the flight is very full? I was hoping to select a window. Has anyone checked in at the desk recently and spoken to a real-life human to try to get a preferable seat?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm flying transatlantic with Aer Lingus tomorrow and Seat Selection isn't available at all for the outbound flight.

Would that mean the flight is very full? I was hoping to select a window. Has anyone checked in at the desk recently and spoken to a real-life human to try to get a preferable seat?

Thanks in advance.

I'm fairly sure on Saver / cheaper fares you can never select a seat online. A couple of options:

- At bag drop kiosk, you can usually choose a seat, just keep an eye out for the option.

- You could queue in the main queue and talk to a check-in agent, but this queue can be fairly lengthy.

Both of those assume you are checking a bag. if not...

- At the boarding gate, ask the agent to move your seat, it's often possible.

- On the plane, as a last resort, ask the attendant but wait until the flight is finished boarding.

Does anyone know if with ‘saver’ fares on Aer Lingus European routes you can select a seat during check in online or is it randomly assigned with no option to change it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You can pay extra to pre-select your seat but when standard, online check in opens 30 hours before the flight you can go in and select any standard seat (not exit or front row etc) for free. They will place you randomly but you can change it. Its not like Ryanair where you HAVE to pay to select a seat. Be on the online check in the moment its 30 hours before your flight and you can more or less get the pick of the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Question re: booking EI long haul and the new saver fares, its been a couple of years since I flew with them across the pond.

Is it possible to book a saver fare, then add a bag at a later date if needed? Basically, two people going away but only the need for one bag max, there is a €200 difference between the saver fare with no bag, and smart fare which has two bags.

Advertisement