Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wibbs wrote: »
    From my previous oh so elegant pocketwatch to let's smoke funny cigarettes in the 1970's... :D

My French made LIP from 1975.

The LIP company a well loved French brand that had been in on things like the first successful electronic watch movement, supporting the first Blancpain 50 fathoms and a few Breitling they sold through their distributor networks had fallen on hard times and looked to a few designers to go full modern. Roger Tallon was one, chap who had designed motorbikes, funky TV's, the TGV train and bits of the Eurotunnel and he came up with this(and in a chronograph). The quartz engined one is the rarest as it was an in house movement and expensive. The president of the French Republic in the 70's one Giscard d'Estaing wore one apparently and some French folks called them the Giscard.

OK, yeah, it's eye of the beholder alright. :D I bloody love it I have to say. A very different take on watch design and one that pushed the boat out. Made Swiss efforts from guys like Genta look like mock Tudor semidees(Genta dug these funny enough, probably liked that the Tallon lad was let be more free with design than he could be). Very well made and engineered solid lump of anodised alloy too. Decades before "designer watches" with it. And boy if you want to have people notice and often comment on a watch, then man oh man this is the boyo and no mistake. :D

*Oops, sorry EDIT* "Value" on these runs about the 500-600 quid mark, you might lucky at an auction at 3-400. Dealers charge more. Time was 50 or 100 quid would source one, if you could find on, but since more mainstream stuff has gone a bit daft in price, some have gotten into the more madcap/unusual/rare/early quartz so... Still, not too bad IMHO for something that is so madcap/unusual/rare.

This appears to be an early or even a preproduction example. It's the only one out there with the silver minute track on the outside. Has some oddball internal diffs too.

Reminded me a little if this

296gq5z.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Inspired by apparently Mick. Here's the chronograph version.

chronokleur6.jpg

IMH better balanced than the later "Alien" watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Inspired by apparently Mick. Here's the chronograph version.

chronokleur6.jpg

IMH better balanced than the later "Alien" watch.

That's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

thats an amazing watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Roger Tallon was one, chap who had designed motorbikes, funky TV's, the TGV train and bits of the Eurotunnel and he came up with this...

And the whole set design from Blake's 7 :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

oxocube wrote: »
    And the whole set design from Blake's 7 :D

Showing our age now aren't we. Cool watch Wibbs, great knowledge too as usual.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Ionised

oxocube wrote:
    And the whole set design from Blake's 7

Coincidence but I've just finished rewatching the whole of Blakes 7.

It has not aged well but some great characters. Avon still ranks with the great TV baddies.

Anyhoo... Back to watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Birneybau wrote: »

They have some nice watches for not bad prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Ionised wrote: »
    It has not aged well but some great characters.

Confirmed ;)

• Advertisement

ta3m14.jpg

Balls... I got this Monday and it was on a green thin nato strap that made me hate the watch straight away.. immediately put it up for sale and had a buyer then stupidly tried on a black stowa strap I had at home last night and much prefer it.. it needs a thicker strap but I've decided to keep for now. Thankfully the buyer understood my craziness.

Balls... I got this Monday and it was on a green thin nato strap that made me hate the watch straight away.. immediately put it up for sale and had a buyer then stupidly tried on a black stowa strap I had at home last night and much prefer it.. it needs a thicker strap but I've decided to keep for now. Thankfully the buyer understood my craziness.

This is the strap it came on

2wpl3zc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ah to be fair the green doesn’t suit the watch at all, I always try and match the strap with the watch wether it’s a leather or rubber with stitching or nato

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

oxocube wrote: »
    Wow, Mick that didn't last long. Are you sure you want to sell it so quickly? Maybe give it a bit more wrist time and see if it grows on you before moving on :)

You were warned ;)

Maybe try something like this for it

https://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p26044h2233s2307-Watch-strap-Rally-Ar.html

that is a better choice style wise, i am not a fan of the large holes on the racing straps but they seem popular, black with white stitch will work well with the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

[IMGg[/IMG]

Very cool 🖒

Speedies are so over rated what do ya think?

2shea wrote: »
    Very cool ��

i haven't tried a Speedy so can't comment.. i know i'm a complete novice with watches but the second hand not sweeping on it threw me a bit.. i was like whats the point of that.. then i watched some youtube videos about chronographs and i was like oh wait... now i get it.. ill definitely be holding onto the watch for a while.. i'm not sold on the Bulova writing on the dial and im not sure why they needed to put 262 khz on the sub dial..

its a large watch but i think i can just about get away with it. I'm looking forward to having it on slightly chunkier strap as the one from my stowa marine feels too thin.. if infinitely better than the one it came on. The market is obviously strong of these watches. I had plenty of offers in a couple of hours on adverts for it.

in relation to speedmasters i guess i got this for about a 10th of the price for a nice one so i can't argue with that. ill try on a speedmaster while im in the US over the summer.

someone mentioned me about the raised crystal on the watch.. i don't mind it and i think it might actually be tougher than some bezels? i guess the worry might be a direct knock to the side might dislodge it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Very cool 🖒

Nah, can't agree with this! My speedie is my favorite watch at the moment. Great quality, great looking and feels divine on the wrist.

• Advertisement

Very cool 🖒

They are not over rated at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Very cool 🖒

What makes you say that?
    If anything they are very underrated considering the history. Very well priced watch which regularly ends up in top 10 must have watches along side the usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I think it looks better in real life than in the photo but posted anyway.
    What do ya think?

478321.jpg

shutup wrote: »
    What do ya think?

Isn’t it a bit big for you ?
    All I can think of now is the clip in fools and horses when delboy is waiting for Raquel and puts the wall clock on his wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

What do ya think?

Nice piece. Not really built to slip under that shirt cuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Isn’t it a bit big for you ?
    All I can think of now is the clip in fools and horses when delboy is waiting for Raquel and puts the wall clock on his wrist

I don’t think so. Maybe it is. I may have a small wrist, I’ve not measured but I think it’s just the shirt pulled back and photo angle. I’m not huge but if a standard Seiko is too big for a 6.2 male id be surprised.
    At least it didn’t remind you of something Del was selling!

I don’t think so. Maybe it is. I may have a small wrist, I’ve not measured but I think it’s just the shirt pulled back and photo angle. I’m not huge but if a standard Seiko is too big for a 6.2 male id be surprised.
    At least it didn’t remind you of something Del was selling!

Probably is the photo angle and the shirt cuff

Height of a person doesn’t matter with the watch size, it’s more about build and wrist size, I know a fella that’s 6 foot 7 and his wrist is under 6 inches so 36mm is fine for him but would look ridiculous on me

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Something a bit different today. Lorus mickey mouse.

478479.JPG

I got this a few years ago as part of a "more for a score" challenge on another forum where people bought a watch for under 20 and then we voted on a winner, I ended up getting second place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Had a package waiting for me when I got home.

1916 trench watch, imported to London by Carley & Clemence with a silver, FB Borgel case and a 15 jewel Fontainemelon movement. *All of this information came courtesy of Wibbs*

whisxs.jpg

2gwyj2x.jpg

It'll be getting some wrist time this week before I send it off for a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Had a look at Trench Watches on Ebay after reading Wibbs post. Some interesting pieces there.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement