Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freeman Megamerge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Just watching primetime here.

Where were all the freemen and anti-eviction activists when Jim Manfield jr was getting Dessie O'Hare to do evictions for him? :D;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As part of the Brits generally losing their minds about Brexit, this weeks leader of UKIP has gone full Freeman.

Tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Robbo wrote: »
    As part of the Brits generally losing their minds about Brexit, this weeks leader of UKIP has gone full Freeman.

Tweet

Do they have a consitution in Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Do they have a consitution in Britain?
    Not in the sense of a single foundational legislative text, no. But in the sense of a collection of fundamental rules and principles which govern the state and its functioning, yes, they do. They''ve just never got around to codifying them all in a single document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not in the sense of a single foundational legislative text, no. But in the sense of a collection of fundamental rules and principles which govern the state and its functioning, yes, they do. They''ve just never got around to codifying them all in a single document.

With the UK Constitution being more a collection of traditions, would the breech of the UK constitution the UKIP bod is referring to actually be related to the EC accession agreement from '73?

Brexit is mad enough without them needing the Freeman rabbit hole too!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

banie01 wrote: »
    With the UK Constitution being more a collection of traditions, would the breech of the UK constitution the UKIP bod is referring to actually be related to the EC accession agreement from '73?

Brexit is mad enough without them needing the Freeman rabbit hole too!
    God alone know what he thinks is the constitutional infringement, though his reference to 1973 and the generally brexity context makes me think your guess has a fair chance of being correct. As to what exactly he thinks is unconstitutional, I'd look into that except that I have to . . . um . . . wash my shoelaces. Yes, that's it. I have to wash my shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Peregrinus wrote: »
    God alone know what he thinks is the constitutional infringement, though his reference to 1973 and the generally brexity context makes me think your guess has a fair chance of being correct. As to what exactly he thinks is unconstitutional, I'd look into that except that I have to . . . um . . . wash my shoelaces. Yes, that's it. I have to wash my shoelaces.

I'll wash them for you if you need help...
    I don't want to give this any more thought than I already have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Anybody watching the online circus between the far left loony brigade and the far right lunatics? Cringe-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I don’t think anyone would be surprised if a few of the usual suspects appeared in an advisory capacity in this case.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/threats-intimidation-and-arson-in-land-row-that-rivals-the-field-38011350.html

The same month, Mr Justice Kelly made an order giving Seamus Kane and another brother, Jerome, 72 hours to remove vehicles, machinery and livestock from the lands.

It also restrained them from contacting prospective purchasers and auctioneers and from erecting any signage.

However, within days Seamus Kane sent copies of the order, with the word "void" written across it, by registered post to Mr Justice Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

blackwhite wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone would be surprised if a few of the usual suspects appeared in an advisory capacity in this case.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/threats-intimidation-and-arson-in-land-row-that-rivals-the-field-38011350.html

One of the few names mentioned, Dr. Grimes, has featured here on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

While banks might eventually get bored and give up the tax man will pursue you even past death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The report of that case on breakingnews.ie is absolutely hilarious. :D:pac:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/judge-warns-car-dealer-he-faces-grave-risk-of-jail-for-contempt-916910.html
    The president of the High Court, Mr Justice Peter Kelly, issued the warning after a Revenue receiver said he believes John Alex Kane, of Granard, Co Longford, had last month orchestrated moving his neighbours' cattle onto his lands, on which Tricolour flags were also placed, to frustrate a planned sale by the receiver.

Patrick and Clare Nannery, who own the cattle and have some 200 acres adjoining the Kane lands, had told the receiver they had nothing to do with moving the cattle, were very annoyed about it, and Ms Nannery had described Mr Kane and other members of his family as "a shower of f##ks".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I see Ben of the clan Gilroy listed as a candidate for the European Parliament elections in the Dublin constituency.

Will be quite the battle for the crackpot vote between himself and Gemma O'Doherty

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I see Ben of the clan Gilroy listed as a candidate for the European Parliament elections in the Dublin constituency.

Will be quite the battle for the crackpot vote between himself and Gemma O'Doherty
    I believe his (interrupted) 3 months will be up over Easter. I'm sure he'll resist comparing himself to any other historical figures who've re-emerged at Easter...

I see that DDI lives on through Jan van de Ven standing in the Ireland South constituency for the European elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I believe his (interrupted) 3 months will be up over Easter. I'm sure he'll resist comparing himself to any other historical figures who've re-emerged at Easter...

I see that DDI lives on through Jan van de Ven standing in the Ireland South constituency for the European elections.

Patrick Greene also standing in Mid-North West for them https://www.mayoreturningofficer.com/nominations

The crank quotient is through the roof this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Patrick Greene also standing in Mid-North West for them https://www.mayoreturningofficer.com/nominations

The crank quotient is through the roof this year.

I think the Euro Elections are now effectively free (nominal entry fee) to partake in, and you are pretty much guaranteed 3 or 4 goes on the tellybox debates for your trouble.
    So it's a no-brainer for our friends who want to rattle a few cages and drop a few truth-bombs on the sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think the Euro Elections are now effectively free (nominal entry fee) to partake in, and you are pretty much guaranteed 3 or 4 goes on the tellybox debates for your trouble.
    So it's a no-brainer for our friends who want to rattle a few cages and drop a few truth-bombs on the sheeple.

I honestly think the only thing
    they will be dropping are mighty clangers:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

1,800 quid or 60 assenters or being member registered political party https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/european_elections/european_elections.html#l7b144 not high enough a hurdle, it doesn't compare to the Dail requirement population wise https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/nomination_for_membership_of_dail_eireann.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With the clown-car like entry lists this time around, I would not be so certain there will be TV debates.

The clampdown has begun on pseudoscience in health care.

A debate is now needed about pseudo law.

Will it happen? Not so sure.

Maybe when a few thousand people lose their properties having availed of shady legal advice for the last decade, and come to realise they may have no recourse.

By that stage the Charlatans/ quacks,shams, frauds, confidence tricksters, swindlers, fraudsters, will, no doubt, be long gone.

I believe his (interrupted) 3 months will be up over Easter. I'm sure he'll resist comparing himself to any other historical figures who've re-emerged at Easter....

He's being released this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

He's being released this Saturday.

Released this morning. You would think prison time would soften his cough but no... he's now saying his imprisonment was unlawful and that the state has admitted on affidavit that it was a clerical error. I imagine that this is the typo made by the garda who brought him to mountjoy, which was an argument wholly rejected in his habeus corpus application... but sure what would a high court judge know about the law

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Unlawful is their favourite word ... pity they really don’t understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

Released this morning. You would think prison time would soften his cough but no... he's now saying his imprisonment was unlawful and that the state has admitted on affidavit that it was a clerical error. I imagine that this is the typo made by the garda who brought him to mountjoy, which was an argument wholly rejected in his habeus corpus application... but sure what would a high court judge know about the law

The size of the crowd shows that people have copped on and know that he is full of it.

The Shawshank redemption part 2 no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭ooter

Jaysus he looks terrible, not a good advert for prison life.

ooter wrote: »
    Jaysus he looks terrible, not a good advert for prison life.

Too much fluoride in the porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

I presume that beard was for effect...

Advertisement