Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

4 GT2 RS's at the bottom of the ocean. I'm off for some PADI lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Regular visitor to Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Donegal fisherman on hunger strike outside of dail eireann. Rte news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

4 GT2 RS's at the bottom of the ocean. I'm off for some PADI lessons.

well, if it's anything like my C2, they all end up as boat anchors anyway.....(I'll get me coat....)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see the ex B&I Line hydrofoil was in collision with a whale earlier this month, 80 people injured. Good to see her still at sea 40 years after she was built...

Ginga-waterjet-hydrofoil.jpg
    More than 80 passengers were reported injured, several seriously, after a hydrofoil ferry apparently struck a whale while underway in the Sea of Japan on Saturday.

The high-speed hydrofoil, named Ginga, was underway from Niigata, Japan to Sado Island when the vessel struck what the ferry operator said appears to be “marine life”.

The impact was strong enough to send passengers flying into seats in front of them.

https://gcaptain.com/high-speed-hydrofoil-ferry-hits-whale-in-japan/

http://www.irishships.com/jetfoilcu_na_mara.html

Interesting craft...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A P&O ferry which was caught up in a major incident last December was at the centre of a fire emergency in Larne Harbour yesterday.

Some 144 passengers and 35 crew were evacuated from the MV European Causeway after a blaze broke out in the engine room.

Fire Service commander Liam O'Sullivan said no one was injured.

A P&O spokesman added: "All passengers and crew are safe, the fire was extinguished automatically within minutes and the ship is currently out of service while we investigate the cause." All evacuated passengers were accommodated on the next sailing from the Co Antrim port.

Just before Christmas, nine lorries fell on to their sides and cars were crushed as the same vessel was sailing from Larne to Cairnryan in stormy conditions.
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/passengers-evacuated-after-po-ferry-blaze-in-larne-37969281.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

How your next oily takeaway dinner really could help reduce toxic emissions
    Waste oil from fast food and takeaway meals could help the global shipping sector hit new emissions targets by switching to biofuels.

Sea freight is a major contributor to pollution.

Under the 'International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships', the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) is introducing new limits for sulphur oxides (SOx) emissions from shipping, according to a paper from the World Economic Forum (WEF).

The level of SOx emissions will have to fall to just 0.50pc mass per mass from 3.50pc mass per mass due to targets which come into effect next year

SOx is known to be harmful to human health. In addition, in the atmosphere, SOx can lead to acid rain. Reducing these emissions reduces air pollution and leads to a cleaner environment.

There are several ways in which the emissions can be reduced.

Switching to biofuels will be one of the options for ships in reducing emissions. This is where used cooking fats and oil comes in. They can be recycled used as biofuels - though no one has yet cracked the challenge of collecting waste oil on a large scale.

Biofuels, such as biodiesel and bio-methane, could help achieve reductions in CO2 emissions by as much as 80-90pc.

DHL has a partnership with GoodShipping Program, an organisation that promotes the use of biofuel in the sea freight sector. Under the scheme, people using DHL's shipping division can select biofuels rather than fossil fuels when having their items shipped.

However, there are a number of challenges facing biofuel before it can become a mainstream option for the shipping sector, according to the WEF.

The first is supply. Recycling oils and fats is a viable option for creating small amounts of biofuel, but the output volumes are dependent on supply.

There is currently no robust, reliable infrastructure for the collection and processing of biofuels that can operate at large volumes. That's despite the fact that disposing of cooking oil is a real headache for the food industry.

In addition, high volumes of biofuel would need to be guaranteed for shipping companies to invest in the necessary engine technology to make biofuel a safe, reliable option across their fleets.

Also, there is no existing global supply infrastructure for biofuel.

Other ways in which the reduction in SOx emissions can be met by shipping companies includes the use of fuel with a lower sulphur content, such as liquified natural gas, and the fitting of equipment in ships to filter exhaust fumes.

But reducing emissions in transport is a constant battle. Air travel also produces large volumes of harmful emissions and by 2020, emissions from the aviation industry are likely to be 70pc higher than they were in 2005.

Irish Independent
    https://www.independent.ie/business/world/food-for-thought-how-your-next-oily-takeaway-dinner-really-could-help-reduce-toxic-emissions-38006836.html

backwardation

WTF?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tabnabs wrote: »
    WTF?!

backwardation
    /bakwəˈdeɪʃ(ə)n/
    nounBRITISH•STOCK MARKET
    a situation in which the spot or cash price of a commodity is higher than the forward price.
    "the development of a backwardation is associated with supply shortage"
    a situation in which the offer price for stock is lower than the bid.
    HISTORICAL
    a percentage paid by a person selling stock for the right of delaying its delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I notice this passenger ship which left Ireland for the US (Fort Lauderdal) yesterday is turning back

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:228420/zoom:10

I notice this passenger ship which left Ireland for the US (Fort Lauderdal) yesterday is turning back

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:228420/zoom:10

Turning around again now, maybe back to it's original course

News story about the above. Passenger lost overboard

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9038759/amsterdam-missing-woman-atlantic-florida/

A dreadful fire aboard a container ship in Thailand. 130 people are reported hospitalised due to this tragedy.

Russian navy playing silly buggers with the US navy. Just another day on the high seas...

Two videos showing clearly just how close it came to a collision.

https://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1869114/russian-navy-ship-maneuvers-unsafe-unprofessional/#.XPo_YqMk148.twitter
    PHILIPPINE SEA (June 07, 2019) - At approximately 11:45 am on June 7, 2019 while operating in the Philippine Sea, a Russian destroyer (Udaloy I DD 572) made an unsafe maneuver against USS Chancellorsville (CG-62), closing to ~50-100 feet putting the safety of her crew and ship at risk.

While Chancellorsville was recovering its helicopter on a steady course and speed when the Russian ship DD572 maneuvered from behind and to the right of Chancellorsville accelerated and closed to an unsafe distance of ~50-100 feet. This unsafe action forced Chancellorsville to execute all engines back full and to maneuver to avoid collision.

We consider Russia's actions during this interaction as unsafe and unprofessional and not in accordance with the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS), "Rules of the Road," and internationally recognized maritime customs.

190607-N-CK669-0007.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/scottish-warn-irish-government-in-fishing-dispute-929460.html

The inevitable lyrics of a nonsense Wolfe Tones song being posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Russian navy playing silly buggers with the US navy. Just another day on the high seas...

Two videos showing clearly just how close it came to a collision.

US navy no claims bonus on their insurance is long gone anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement

Lucky people.......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/09/newly-restored-19th-century-german-ship-sinks-after-collision
    A recently restored wooden sailing ship has sunk after colliding with a container vessel near Hamburg, northern Germany.

All 43 passengers were rescued almost immediately thanks to a quick response from five rescue boats that were attending a minor accident a few hundred meters away.

The blame battle continues, who done it and was it a mine, a torpedo or some sort low-flying small explosive device, as has been referenced also.

D8_Qr-uW4AAgZax.jpg:large

D9AZVkCWwAA-hi-.jpg:large

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fcuking hell, that's just mental (if true)

WWIII incoming

fcuking hell, that's just mental (if true)

Aye..... If true.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Nice little earner. Cause a full tanker to be abandoned in international waters, get aboard and claim salvage. Am I being a little cynical ?

price of oil not been budging for a while and Trump not keen on it going up. Must be some very disgruntled OPEC members who,d like to see that price rise.

• Advertisement

Nice little earner. Cause a full tanker to be abandoned in international waters, get aboard and claim salvage. Am I being a little cynical ?

Insurers will launch a salvage operation practically immediately and plenty of big tugs in that part of the world to bring the ship back to a safe port. Also likely a "friendly" warship will hang around to make sure no one else gets there first. A very important part of the world with a lot of people keen to keep things calm.

Advertisement