Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Conlan Pro Debut

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Top Rank certainly haven't offloaded him, they've already invested quite a bit in him. The fact he left around the same time as Quigley would suggest that neither of them thought they were up to much under Robles, who seemed to be trying to turn them into fighters they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

pac_man wrote: »
    No chance. Conlan has the potential to be a major cashcow and trainers get 10% of that.

Stevenson is the cash cow, don’t want Conlan ending up like Duddy, fighting in the garden every paddy’s day to please the plastic paddies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Stevenson is the cash cow, don’t want Conlan ending up like Duddy, fighting in the garden every paddy’s day to please the plastic paddies

Based on what is Stevenson the cash cow? I doubt they've made a cent off him yet and he hasn't looked any better than Conlan has to date.

Maybe in time to come, that might be the case but a bit like your "offloading" comment, it's a bit early to be making them assumptions.

He is the US Olympic Medalist ffs. Not some guy associated with Irish criminality

Whats your hang up with Conlan?

Guess...

• Advertisement

I don't know, that's why I asked.
    Not some guy associated with Irish criminality

:rolleyes:

Do you know the ins and outs behind the operations of MTK?

I know the Kinahans are involved, quite publicly.

I've seen their work and the dreadful outcomes. I dont support it.

This weekend at the stadium amplifies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Quit the silly beggars about MTK and Macklin and what is linked here...

Are they? Last time I checked Matthew Macklin is managing him. You'd probably want to be vigilant with regards to what you believe and read in the media. Your last sentence exemplifies that.

What money is bankrolling it?

You lie with dogs, you catch fleas

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/true-warrior-mob-boss-kinahan-breaks-twitter-silence-to-heap-praise-on-beaten-boxer-conlan-36336221.html

be vigilant? Is that a thinly-veiled threat?

Is that the best you can come up with, an article about his brother. Part of the link that you just posted.

Step back, still involved. He's in MTK, Kinahan's founded MGM/MTK putting a new cover on does not change the foundations

• Advertisement

Did you start telling yourself the McGuigan's "offloaded" Frampton once you saw him sign for MTK as well?

Hate the MTK fighters if you feel that strongly about it but at least try having some objectivity when doing so. Zero chance Shakur Stevenson is a better candidate to be Top Rank's cash cow and zero chance Robles offloaded Conlan.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Did you start telling yourself the McGuigan's "offloaded" Frampton once you saw him sign for MTK as well?

Hate the MTK fighters if you feel that strongly about it but at least try having some objectivity when doing so. Zero chance Shakur Stevenson is a better candidate to be Top Rank's cash cow and zero chance Robles offloaded Conlan.

Time will tell.

Morrison J wrote: »

Frampton thought he was better than he was. Same with Jamie Conlan

Frampton thought he was better than he was. Same with Jamie Conlan

Where do you come up with this ****?

Jamie was whinging about not getting a title shot etc, got one- got schooled

Jamie was whinging about not getting a title shot etc, got one- got schooled

I'd love a link that quotes him whinging but I'm pretty confident that just didn't happen. He's always come nothing short of very humble to me. Very likeable guy.

And what about Frampton? Is he suddenly no good now he's signed with MTK? He's clearly world class and a class act outside the ring also. Got beaten by another world class fighter in Santa Cruz. No big deal there.

When was he whinging? That's the first I've heard of that.

He was claiming he was 5th in the world not getting World title fights- when he went off to FW we know what happened

Can you direct me towards this "whinging" that you're talking about or is this just nonsense that you've made up?

On Michael’s twitter feed at the time

Conlan moving down to super bantam. Same thing Booth did with Andy Lee when he got him to cut down to 154. Would imagine the aim is to get the Dogboe/Navarette winner next year given they're with Top Rank.

http://www.irish-boxing.com/mick-conlan-to-change-weight-and-take-world-title-shortcut/

Bump: Not sure post 1 aged too well. Sorry, Morrison me old sparring partner!😀

• Advertisement

Haha was waiting for this. Feel for Conlan to be fair. Top Rank couldn't have done more for him in terms of building him and giving him the right opportunities but his style just hasn't translated to the pros. Will hold my hands up on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I had as high hopes for him as anybody but his lack of power and resistance to make things into a scrap cost him dearly in his title fights imo. Skills wise I still think he had more than enough to be a world champion, doesn’t seem to have the boxing brain or the chin for it though unfortunately.

World champion these days is just a label. He could be a WC should he get a shot against a weak WC. But against proper quality he has very little chance in my view because he’s just not that good a pro.

just on the skills: what skills? He has ok feet, ok movement and a decent inside game. I can’t get past a B- type overall rating for him.

skills can be quite subjective and vague without proper analysis.

Conlan and Booth “amicably” part ways. He’s not blaming or pointing fingers (he said several times). Hardly blame Booth for a weetabix chin

Who will Mick’s next trainer be?🤪

Advertisement