Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Artem is one tough bloke. I don't see Malignaggi stepping in with him. He might be a better technical fighter but Artem would completely wreck him in a bare Knuckle fight.

The fight won't make it out of the first round, and it won't be Pualie who's hurt.

Artem's complete lack of head movement and foot work mean Paulie would be landing everything he throws. Artem will be cut to pieces in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Straight punches all day will just chew Artem up. Everything he throws is either a big hook/overhand, always looking for that KO or an uppercut.

He is nearly always exhausted in the last 3+ minutes of any fight that goes the distance and just walks forward with his hands at his hips once that fatigue hits.

Paulie would eat him alive with fast combinations and superior footwork. Artem will be lucky to land much and will be relying on that big bomb. The match up would be like a D Class version of Mayweather v McGregor, but I'd still look forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And here's the fight that broke out in the crowd, absolute madness, the mountain looking dude trying to throw the other guy over the railings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads at the end of the day there's a live chance Artem KOs Paulie in bare knuckle. Paulie should light him up as he has far far far superior boxing but he doesn't have a granite chin himself and has fairly light hands. In boxing it wouldn't even be close, it wouldn't even be worth talking about but with the bare knuckle there's a real chance of Artem finishing him.

That fight was brutal. Seems very inadvisable. Hope those lads were well paid for it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jason saying he was robbed and the fact Artem had to go to the hospital tells it all. Mmm I think Jason needed to go to the hospital too. 2 absolute mad men.

https://twitter.com/Jasonthekid23/status/1114768588634771456?s=19

Also, what ye think of the call to take half the money off the guy who won but 'ran' during the fight?

https://twitter.com/GIFsZP/status/1114712053439242241?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Am I the only one that thinks that bare knuckle thing is absolutely barbaric.

I hate to sound like your average naysayer, but it's basically street fighting. It's pathetic and shouldn't be sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

cletus wrote: »
    Think it was James Gallagher

No it's not James.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hate to sound like your average naysayer, but it's basically street fighting. It's pathetic and shouldn't be sanctioned.

Devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. What makes it more barbaric than pro boxing, MMA, must Thai, etc.
    The goal and methods are largely the same in them all.

Grappling is the gentlemans fight sport obvs.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a little too close to the bone alright.

Mellor wrote: »
    Devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. What makes it more barbaric than pro boxing, MMA, must Thai, etc.
    The goal and methods are largely the same in them all.

Grappling is the gentlemans fight sport obvs.

The lack ot gloves make it barbaric in most people's eyes I'd say, I personally dont have problem with it and found it very enjoyable but I can see why people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

It seems very violent alright, but i heard (not that I'd know for sure) that the 4oz gloves in the UFC protect your knuckles more that the person you're hitting, so you can swing harder more often. It might have been on Joe Rogan.
    Lobov and Knight looked like they were in a car crash though.

Mellor wrote: »
    Devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. What makes it more barbaric than pro boxing

Purely the bare knuckle aspect of it for me. Look at the two lads faces after 10 minutes, multiple lacerations, enormous bruising and huge swelling. Their hands, if not broken will be swollen and tender as **** for days.

The bare knuckle aspect of it makes no difference to any risk of brain trauma but obviously that bone on bone causes way more external damage. I supposed it's new and may take some getting used to, like the first time you seen someone take a shin to the jaw or an old school Pride soccer kick to the head!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    And here's the fight that broke out in the crowd, absolute madness, the mountain looking dude trying to throw the other guy over the railings.

Holy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

So is it the fact that they're getting cut that makes it barbaric?

There is no glove that will protect a fighter from brain damage. Really, gloves and wraps protect a fighters hands, and help prevent face lacerations. Punching bare Knuckle may actually reduce how hard a fighter is getting hit.

Also, with regard to the street fighting comment, both Lobov and Knight are trained professional athletes, not sure if putting on gloves and doing the exact same thing would make it less 'street fighty'

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭creeper1

Doctors opposed to these kinds of sports are fairly consistent. They are against Mma, boxing and bare knuckle because the aim (knockout) is considered brain damage to them.

creeper1 wrote: »
    Doctors opposed to these kinds of sports are fairly consistent. They are against Mma, boxing and bare knuckle because the aim (knockout) is considered brain damage to them.

It is brain damage. Pretty much getting hit in the head is brain damage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

cletus wrote: »
    It is brain damage. Pretty much getting hit in the head is brain damage

So is getting tackled in rugby, NFL etc. The brain shakes in the skull.

The Nal wrote: »
    So is getting tackled in rugby, NFL etc. The brain shakes in the skull.

Exactly, which is why head gear or the size of a glove has nothing to do with protecting the brain. In fact, the greater size of the head with headgear on actually increases rotational forces.

• Advertisement

Heading a football as well can be added to that, Alan Shearer is in a bad way over it.

The difference though from those doctors standpoints is that brain trauma suffered in rugby/nfl/soccer etc is not an intentional act, where as boxing MMA etc the aim is to inflict a brain trauma (KO) on your opponent in order to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭creeper1

Eddie Alvarez also recently sustained what looks like a bad eye injury fighting on one championships.

The clip is on YouTube as is joe rogans discussion of it.

The guy might start thinking of retiring.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The difference though from those doctors standpoints is that brain trauma suffered in rugby/nfl/soccer etc is not an intentional act, where as boxing MMA etc the aim is to inflict a brain trauma (KO) on your opponent in order to win.

True, although I don't think your brain differentiates :D

. Who was the bloke in Artems corner with the mask over his face like he didn't want to be seen?

Looks like this guy:
    https://www.instagram.com/dosbrak/?hl=en

Pacquiao has singed with Rizin in some capacity.

ASOT wrote: »
    Alan Philpott has signed with One, great move for him considering he isnt a world beater. If they picked him up id imagine they will pick up a few more Europeans.

Just an update on this he fights on Ones Warrior series, it's like there version of TUF from what I can gather. Winner gets a 100k contract.

He's actually on now in a minute

Done well but seemed to gas and lost via neck crank in the second round

• Advertisement

Lads don't under any circumstances watch Rory v Fitch, possibly the worst and most boring fight iv ever tried to watch in my life.

Advertisement