Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mothers’ Day

Options
  • 02-03-2019 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Was shopping for bits & pieces today, wandering around the shopping centre, stopping here & there. Multiple bags, no great weight. Ended up going into the newsagents, bags propped against a display unit while I was about to choose a card for my mum. Except as I stretched out my hand, I remembered she died three years ago. I mean, I haven’t forgotten she’s gone but somehow today, all I thought of was getting her a nice card. I’m not a child but I wanted to sit on the floor & sob but I guess I picked up my things, although I don’t remember doing so & found myself sobbing in the car instead. Some days three years seems a lifetime ago & others, five minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

So sorry for your loss Baybay. If time doesn't erase the pain, then my words certainly wont, but there was obviously a lot of love there. Cling on to that and stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

My mam passed away 4 months ago...I thought Id got to grips with the pangs of pain Id feel, but when I started seeing Mother's Day cards - I was back to square 1.

Someone I know sent me this poem. Very sad..but describes the pain quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Stopped Clock

I hope you're feeling better now Baybay? Apart from the part about almost buying the card, your story is so like mine. My mother is dead nearly 3 years and this is the first Mother's Day that hit me hard. I bought some flowers to put on her grave and had to go again before I started bawling my eyes out on the spot. There were people around and I didn't want to have them see me cry. Sometimes it feels like she has been gone forever, other times it is still very raw. I don't know if this is how it is always going to be. Is 3 years a long or a short time when it comes to grief?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Thank you, Stopped Clock. Most days are grand now. We have great memories & try also to remember her as she was, not some sainted version of herself. Mostly though it still just feels ridiculous or impossible that my mother could just die. My mother. I remember reading some of your posts at the time of your mother’s death. Even when it’s expected or no great surprise due to age etc, it’s just so shocking when they die. That’s what I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I know exactly how you feel. My mam is gone 3 years last month and it hit me hard this year. I feel like it’s so much longer than it is. I still find it difficult that life will never be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

My mother died in November its so hard i miss her so much its a physical pain. Died suddenly I find that so hard she wasnt I'll. So many what ifs going round all the time in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

My mum died during the summer. It was very sudden without any warning at all - just gone within 24 hours and I have to say I found Mother’s Day hard. I just stayed out of supermarkets and swapped the car radio for podcasts and Spotify.

I’m coping with it but I’m still finding it feels like it didn’t really happen. It still find it all quite surreal.

Advertisement