Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lough Corrib recommendations

• 10-01-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

Planning on heading down to Lough Corrib between May-August this year for a couple of days for trout and/or salmon if lucky.

I'm looking for some recommendations on both ghillies and boat hire.

The proposed plan is to possibly take a ghillie the first day and then rent a boat ourselves on the. second day.

We travelled down to Lough Ree for pike last year and didn't do too well, possibly without the knowledge of a local on the boat.

Both are sizable likes so want to try do it right this time around.

Thanks in advance ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

For trout Basil Sheilds

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/basil-shields-angling-guide-instructor/78219

Couldn't recommend enough for boat hire but I've never been guided by him so cannot comment on that. Being Oughterard I doubt you'd get the time of day if you ask about pike fishing though!

For pike look up Jacek on

https://www.facebook.com/fishingirelandpl-271557309564595/

Been out with him lots of times on both corrib and ree for pike and ferox. great day out with brilliant boat and gear and i'd almost guarentee a few 100cm+ pike with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

viper123 wrote: »
    For trout Basil Sheilds

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/basil-shields-angling-guide-instructor/78219

Couldn't recommend enough for boat hire but I've never been guided by him so cannot comment on that. Being Oughterard I doubt you'd get the time of day if you ask about pike fishing though!

For pike look up Jacek on

https://www.facebook.com/fishingirelandpl-271557309564595/

Been out with him lots of times on both corrib and ree for pike and ferox. great day out with brilliant boat and gear and i'd almost guarentee a few 100cm+ pike with him.

Second this. I've been out with both and both are top guides. Can't go far wrong with either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Excellent thanks a million for the links lads.

Will have a look into both and see what best suits, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

http://tomdoc.com/

Tom Doc Sullivan is also one of the best!

Cheers Skipper, will take a look!

• Advertisement

Have booked in with Jacek in Fishing Ireland later on this month so i'll update the thread as to how we get on!

You wont go wrong with him, I've just booked a day in march with him as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

What kind of money would a guide charge for a day's fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What kind of money would a guide charge for a day's fishing?

It would all depend on how good the guide is I suppose but the best guides I ever had never charged me a bob and spent a lot of time answering questions and sharing experiences, taking me to places, introducing me to landowners, telling where to go, when to go and what bait to use.

It's all part of the sport to get others interested in it and keep it alive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You wont go wrong with him, I've just booked a day in march with him as well.

Let me know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It would all depend on how good the guide is I suppose but the best guides I ever had never charged me a bob and spent a lot of time answering questions and sharing experiences, taking me to places, introducing me to landowners, telling where to go, when to go and what bait to use.

It's all part of the sport to get others interested in it and keep it alive.

That's great, but it's not a guide, it's just someone happy to show you around. A guide is a professional who has to charge to make a living, works hard to give clients the best experience, has public liability insurance in case of accident, etc. A decent guide will charge €150-200 per day, which in my experience of fishing abroad, is extremely cheap and undervaluing their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I agree with everything Zippy said. Jacek and Tomi are superb guides on Corrib and Mask. I believe Jacek is now guiding on Lough Ree as well. I have been out with Tomi a few times on Corrib, for both Pike and Trout. He brought two of us out, €100 a man, and that price includes all your tackle, lures and lunch. Thats a very cheap price imo.

I agree with everything Zippy said. Jacek and Tomi are superb guides on Corrib and Mask. I believe Jacek is now guiding on Lough Ree as well. I have been out with Tomi a few times on Corrib, for both Pike and Trout. He brought two of us out, €100 a man, and that price includes all your tackle, lures and lunch. Thats a very cheap price imo.

Thanks a mill! We are fishing Lough Ree at the end of the month with Jacek, looking forward to it, hoping for a mix of Pike and Trout!

david_1888 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill! We are fishing Lough Ree at the end of the month with Jacek, looking forward to it, hoping for a mix of Pike and Trout!

I've had trout to 10lbs with him on Ree, pike up to almost 30lbs.

I've had trout to 10lbs with him on Ree, pike up to almost 30lbs.

That's some decent sized fish! I was hoping for something not even half those sizes!

david_1888 wrote: »

you will have a great day, probably learn a lot too! Jacek also makes the L.Corr lures. Fantastic trout lures.

Was out yesterday with Jacek.

Great day had - quite slow for the majority of the day but had some good fish during three or four 30 minute periods.

About 7 pike and 4 trout and 2 small perch.

Biggest pike was approx. 80cm (10lb mark) and trout was approx 65cm.

All in all a great day and would highly recommend!

Just back myself from day out, spend the day on Ree for ferox. only landed one of about 7lbs, lost one other and had a few takes.

Just back myself from day out, spend the day on Ree for ferox. only landed one of about 7lbs, lost one other and had a few takes.

Were you out with Jacek?

Yep, out of Lanesbrough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ah c'mere, that's the trout of a lifetime for 99% of anglers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ah c'mere, that's the trout of a lifetime for 99% of anglers.

indeed, much bigger than my pb!

Hi folks,

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, but thought it may be better than creating a new one.

Looking at Lough Ennell or Lough Owel for some trout fishing. I haven't fished either and I think that this was the downfall when we initially fished Lough Ree on our own, before heading out with Jacek.

Trying to keep the cost down without the need for a guide and also looking for somewhere that's close-ish to Dublin.

The size of both lakes look considerably smaller than Lough Ree so would it be worth renting a boat on either of these lakes without taking a guided trip or has anyone any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Haven't fished Ennell but its not stocked, wild fish only which makes tougher fishing.
    Owel is a good lake if you're looking to get the hang of things and catch a few fish. It's well stocked with some wild fish too. It's been years since I was there though.
    Hire a boat from Jack Doolin 0449342085.
    His boats are on the shore beside Mullingar sailing club, if you google the sailing club you can get directions from there. You'll pass Jacks house on the way.

Fishing then from the shore you'll catch fish drifting onto and off the shallows between the reed bed in front of the shore and the small island to the right and also around church island the bigger island further right, the shallows run from the island towards the middle of the lake.

There's plenty more fishing drifts too, I think the IFI have a poster / guide map put together you can google.

Fish will probably start to chase perch fry soon on Owel so the best fishing will be sedge fishing into dark but you'd want to know the lake first.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Haven't fished Ennell but its not stocked, wild fish only which makes tougher fishing.
    Owel is a good lake if you're looking to get the hang of things and catch a few fish. It's well stocked with some wild fish too. It's been years since I was there though.
    Hire a boat from Jack Doolin 0449342085.
    His boats are on the shore beside Mullingar sailing club, if you google the sailing club you can get directions from there. You'll pass Jacks house on the way.

Fishing then from the shore you'll catch fish drifting onto and off the shallows between the reed bed in front of the shore and the small island to the right and also around church island the bigger island further right, the shallows run from the island towards the middle of the lake.

There's plenty more fishing drifts too, I think the IFI have a poster / guide map put together you can google.

Fish will probably start to chase perch fry soon on Owel so the best fishing will be sedge fishing into dark but you'd want to know the lake first.

Thanks a lot for all of the above. Might look into Owel a little more.
    Just basically looking for a decent lake that doesn't require too much local knowledge in order to land one or two for the day.
    Fishing the dodder, which is the closest river to me, is good sport but it's enjoyable to explore other waters that may hold something more than 1lb.

Advertisement