Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Primary Medical Cert

• 05-07-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi I'm applying for a Primary Medical Cert and looking for advice. The cert would be for myself as a driver. I have a drop foot, I can walk a certain amount before it hurts and i sometimes lose power in the leg. I cannot drive a manual due to the clutch and my drop foot, so I drive an automatic

Would I be entitled to the Primary Medical Cert? Do you HAVE to make adaptations to your car?

I'm new to this so not sure, any help is appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Hi I'm applying for a Primary Medical Cert and looking for advice. The cert would be for myself as a driver. I have a drop foot, I can walk a certain amount before it hurts and i sometimes lose power in the leg. I cannot drive a manual due to the clutch and my drop foot, so I drive an automatic

Would I be entitled to the Primary Medical Cert? Do you HAVE to make adaptations to your car?

to get a medical as far as i know you must be permanently without use of one or both legs
    ,it nearly impossible to get this cert as the criteria is very strict and only a hse consultant can sanction it with your local chief medical officer ,but give it a shot anyway they either give or turn you down ,good luck .a steering knob is enough adaptation to satisfy them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Automatics do not qualify. You must need to get a manufacturers standard car adapted.
    Info here
    Revenue ruling out automatics (page 9)

Revenue wrote:
    You must, due to the nature of your disability, be unable to drive a vehicle unless it
    is specially constructed or adapted for that purpose. A vehicle will not be regarded
    as meeting the adaptation requirement solely on the basis that it contains optional
    extras that are readily available from manufacturers or assemblers. For example,
    automatic transmission is not regarded as adaptation. If you can drive an
    unadapted vehicle you do not come within the scope of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kazoo2001

Hi,

My partner was diagnosed with MS last year, I just called our local HSE office in Mayo only to be told there was no body to assess him for a primary medical cert due to staff shortages and the lady I spoke with did not know if and/or when they would have someone.
    Has anyone had any success with going to another county to be assessed?
    We desperately need to adapt a new car, and any help like this would be a help.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would think you would have to make an appointment at your local health clinic and they in turn would make an app with the chief medical officer to see you. I know primary medical certs are very hard to get now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

lulu1 wrote: »
    I would think you would have to make an appointment at your local health clinic and they in turn would make an app with the chief medical officer to see you. I know primary medical certs are very hard to get now

Currently going through the motions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

As a clarification Automatic Cars do qualify....... But....... you also have to have an adaption to the car that is not available from a dealer. As someone suggested a knob on the steering wheel etc is enough or an adapted pedal etc..............
    Best of Luck with the application

I have an appointment in 2 weeks for my child,confirmation letter received.

The child has a mobility problem,she can walk yes,but not very far.

The GP has already signed off on a disability parking card for her,put in writing that she may need her car seat adapted and can't walk more than a few metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 179club

I just got the PMC for dad. If I can help anyone give me a shout. Carers as well. I done a lot of research and learned my lesson the wrong way so I will give my knowledge of how to go about this tricky cert.

Had the PMC assessment this week.

The child refused point blank to cooperate with the Dr so it more or less ended up as a Q & A session with me and her instead.

I was told she was only compiling a report and i would be informed in 2 weeks of the outcome.

I suspect i won't get the news i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Noddlesconway

Hi Guys, do any of you know what the conditions are for getting the Primary Medical Certificate. I am mobile, but have MS and our car just died. I have been told that if I go for a new one and I have a Primary Medical Cert I will come under the Mobility scheme which means that a new car would now be affordable. I know on line it says that to qualiy you need to have a limb missing or of little use, I have nothing missing (apart from brain cells ha ha ha) but we are very rural and no public transport, do they take this into consideration?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

An Ms-er here, when you say "mobile" how far can you walk unaided?

An Ms-er here, when you say "mobile" how far can you walk unaided?

On a good day just as far as a car but need to be watched , my walk is more shuffled and slow and takes lot of energy to walk ... Fatigued is a huge factor also ... I need a crutch for support as my balance not great

Hi I sent a reply I am not sure if you received it please confirm if you got my last message thank you

Hi The PMC is very hard to get.Sorry to tell you this but your mobility is to good for getting the cert. When I brought dad the first time for assesment they refuesed. He was walking with walking sticks dragging his non use left leg as he walked. Cut a long story short we appealed to Dublin and the Ombudsman. Not a chance even though in Dublin the Doctor said his left leg drags when he walks. We have it now as he is wheelchair confined. The criteria is outragously to strict.
    Regards
    179club.
    P.S. I will help all I can.

Knob on steering wheel is not classed as an adaption.

179club wrote: »

Yes as far as I know it is A friend has this and was classed as an adaption I'm sorry but I dont know how you can tell op that their walk is too good to get a pmc. It all depends on the examiner on the day and what the patients symptoms are like.

You say you have done your research on how to go about getting this tricky cert (your words) There is nothing tricky about it it's because times have changed and it's its a lot harder to get now than it was years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1............if it is not standard and available from an authorized dealer it is an adaption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I have a PMC and my only adaption is a steering knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Hi, my wife was told she should applying now I'm not too sure after reading posts on here.
    She has a number of medical issues but her main one that limits her movement is spinal degeneration which on bad days prevents her from even getting out of be and we regularly use a wheelchair she we know she will have to be on her feet for any period of time. I am looking to get a swivel seat fitted to make it easier for her to get in and out of our car.

jimbooth wrote: »
    Hi, my wife was told she should applying now I'm not too sure after reading posts on here.
    She has a number of medical issues but her main one that limits her movement is spinal degeneration which on bad days prevents her from even getting out of be and we regularly use a wheelchair she we know she will have to be on her feet for any period of time. I am looking to get a swivel seat fitted to make it easier for her to get in and out of our car.

If your wife uses a wheelchair for periods of time then you should apply for a pmc but you dont need to go having swivel seats fitted just yet unless you really need it. if you a granted a pmc and if you decide to change your car this is one of the questions you will be asked.

A swivle sear adaption costs in the region of 500e not because of the work involved but because the papers has to be signed by an authoised dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mollycam

Hi. I know this is an old thread but I need some advice on how to go about car adaptation once I receive Primary Medical Cert. I hope to buy new car & have front seat adapted for my mother. Most of the companies need her on site to assess what is suitable. Is this the norm ?

Mollycam wrote: »
    Hi. I know this is an old thread but I need some advice on how to go about car adaptation once I receive Primary Medical Cert. I hope to buy new car & have front seat adapted for my mother. Most of the companies need her on site to assess what is suitable. Is this the norm ?[/QU

Don't think it's the norm but could be wrong

Does you dealer not have this adaption done for you before you pick up your car.

Most people now have the original seat in the car adapted whereas years ago you had to have a different seat altogether

Thanks for reply Lulu 1. Went back to dealer today and they tracked down adaption company that can do it in Hyundai Kona. Some of them not inclined to take on as car door does not open quite as wide as other cars. But when I consider my mother's size frame etc I dont see this as major issue. And you are right in saying original seat is adapted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RainyDay99

I just got the PMC for dad. If I can help anyone give me a shout. Carers as well. I done a lot of research and learned my lesson the wrong way so I will give my knowledge of how to go about this tricky cert.

Hi 179club, if you don't mind I would like to take you up on your kind offer of giving your knowledge of going about getting/applying for Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers Scheme. My 82 yr old mother is severely restricted in walking, but has use of her "legs", I would be the driver.

Hi.

If your mother has any use of her legs and can walk using walking or walking frame. Due to the very strict criteria it seems unlikely your mother will pass the assessment. I would still apply and see what the outcome is. Never give up.

Regards

179club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RainyDay99

Dear 179Club, many thanks for your quick reply and info. Yes worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

Mollycam wrote: »
    Hi. I know this is an old thread but I need some advice on how to go about car adaptation once I receive Primary Medical Cert. I hope to buy new car & have front seat adapted for my mother. Most of the companies need her on site to assess what is suitable. Is this the norm ?
    Hi Mollycam My mother is starting the PMC form and is looking at a swivel seat place in Kilkenny tomorrow. My Dad needs a swivel seat. So you have to first buy the new car then the garage will adapt the seat? thanks

Yes have done a bit of research since and realise that I get car first and then get work done. Have sourced company to do work via garage. Had HSE assessment just over 2 weeks ago still waiting for PMC which doctor advised would take couple weeks. Note on previous posts here that some people received them within few days. Hands tied till that arrives.

Hi anyone who can help. Received PMC for my mother. Do I send it on to Revenue in Monaghan first- even though it is titled a CERTIFICATE in order to have my mam registered as having disability?

• Advertisement

Hi.

If your mother has any use of her legs and can walk using walking or walking frame. Due to the very strict criteria it seems unlikely your mother will pass the assessment. I would still apply and see what the outcome is. Never give up.

Regards

179club.

As I said before there is no tricky way of getting this cert . You are saying here that you know a tricky way and yet when people ask you you are telling them due to strict restrictions they are unlikely to get it .Surly it's not for you to say if these people will get it or not. You posted before that a steering wheel knob is not an adaption . and myself and someone else corrected you on this because it is classed as an adaption. If you know a tricky way why dont you share it I'm sure everyone would like to know

Advertisement