Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Downs

• 03-02-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have a lovely nephew downs syndrome , he is hard work for my sister , the only thing that keeps him entertained is an iPad, watching cartoons, he gets angry occasionally and throws it on floor , breaking glass/ device. I have a tablet device I will give him , but it wont survive contact with floor, is there any specific type of cover available for these electronic devices for special needs children , thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭skallywag

Have a google for 'Otterbox', it's not specific to special needs, but it's damn tough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

skallywag wrote: »
    Have a google for 'Otterbox', it's not specific to special needs, but it's damn tough.

I second this.

I'm working in Intellectual Disability for the past near thirty years and the Otterbox range are a near industry standard.
    Very robust, protecting the device within, I've seen Ipads come out of them after a couple of years of use looking like new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

skallywag wrote: »

No matter how much it costs, an Otterbox could be a cheap solution to an expensive problem.

I dont even think you need to have a form of Autism as an excuse for an otterbox.
    If a table fall on the floor corner first, its gone.

If you are still feeling insecure, there is this Irish girl in the UK making silicone putty called Sugru. Now its won loads of Dyson and other innovation awards.
    I wont garuntee is as effective as an otterbox but it is way cheaper and could be used for extra peace of mind.

https://sugru.com/buy/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzKnjBRDPARIsAKxfTRA-eheDpBNokxzw0qzOueZcE9vzYBXyQ8C8r7N_wlZUz4yDpPiEZCQaAvbPEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭harr

Have a son with special needs and we use the survivor case by griffin , get one which has the built in screen protector. My sons iPad has survived many a drop. We updated his iPad last year and his old one came out of the case as if it was new. Plenty of cheap knockoffs of this case about so make sure to purchase an original.
    They do cost about €70 so not cheap but cheaper than a new iPad.
    The otterbox cases are equally as durable and plenty of my sons classmates have them.

Advertisement