Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-learning to swim!

• 07-11-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Last week I started going to an adult swimming class. I can swim, was actually quite a good swimmer in my teenage years, but alas, after years of not swimming at all that has changed!

The reason I wanted to get back into it is for fitness but also because I used to find it really enjoyable. I was worried going back, mainly about my freestyle stroke. Wanted to learn again the proper technique and how to breath properly. I found that when I got back into the pool that it came back to me much easier than I thought and thought my first couple of half-lengths were quite good. (In the advanced group so we use half the length on the pool)

Anyway about 30minutes into the class, my calf started to cramp. I stretched in the pool and sat out a drill and went again. Shortly after both my calves started to cramp. I sat on the edge of the pool to stretch out the cramp but then it all just hit me, both my quads started to cramp as well and then I began to feel light headed and dizzy. My legs were really sore for 3-4 days after, really bad DOMS!

Looking back I feel the dizziness etc was because I wasn't hydrated enough, hadn't ate in about 5 hours, and the water was quite warm.

I think my question is more around the cramps though, currently wouldn't be very fit but I'm naturally quite fit so usually after starting exercising my fitness ramps up pretty quickly. When my leg initially started to cramp, the instructor asked if I was used of the water, explained I hadn't swam in years, she posited that my posture may have been to rigid and to try and relax more.

Looking back I think I went too hard too fast, like I was trying to get from one end of the other as quickly as possible. I have class again tonight so worried about cramping again. I'm drinking lots of water and planning to eat something about an hour and a half before class. I think I need to slow down and concentrate more on my technique. Also, the instructor mentioned dizziness could have been caused by not getting enough oxygen with my breathing technique so will focus more on this as well.

So, I guess I'm just here looking for advice, is my plan for correcting my mistakes OK, or should I be more concerned about the cramping and dizziness? Or is it more simple, along the lines of keep hydrated, slow down and focus on technique, relax and once my fitness improves so will the soreness!

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to get back to a decent level of swimming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you hadn't been drinking much that day cramping & dizziness would tie right into dehydration. Pools are quite warm and if you're working hard then you're going to sweat a lot unnoticed, which is only going to exacerbate the dehydration.

Could be some other things adding into it like a kick dominant style which will bring on cramps. Or maybe your body was lacking something (potassium, perhaps) if you hadn't eaten much. Or you could have slightly overheated in a warm pool through over exertion and just not been used to it, hence the dizziness. And on top of that even if you're fit, swimming is going to use your muscles in a different way than they're used to, which can cause them to cramp. And would bring on DOMs.

Sounds like you're going to do the right things. Drink plenty (before and during), eat *at least* an hour before swimming (for me I'm more comfortable if it's closer to 2 hours), don't kill yourself at the beginning - build up to that - and keep an eye on it. If it persists and doesn't get better perhaps be concerned, but doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me from what you've described.

Oh and most importantly enjoy the swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭MooShop

Thanks for your reply.

I had my second class last night and it was a much different experience. I ate about an hour and a half before getting into the pool and had half a banana about an hour beforehand.

Drank water throughout the day, and did some stretching as well before getting in the pool. I think all that greatly helped but I think the biggest factor was that I just took my time. I made a conscious effort to try and focus on the technique and take my time, think I went far too hard in the first class. Lasted the full hour and really enjoyed it, really looking forward to improving.

I'm looking to be able to swim comfortably so next year I can hopefully look to increasing distance and becoming a regular swimmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just a warning, be sure to not eat within 2 hours of swimming as you'll be likely to get major cramps in the stomach.

I usually go swimming around 6.30 every 2nd evening, and if I've eaten anything after 3.30 or 4.30 I usually feel it when I'm doing front-crawl. Feels like a ripping sensation in your stomach and isn't pleasant.

also don't over-drink water before getting in, for similar reasons of reducing the bloated feeling.

Perhaps 4 cups of water max.

I didn't drink any water prior to getting in the pool, just constant consumption during the day, I drank last about 20minutes before getting into the pool I think.

It's a learning curve to see what works and what adversely affects you but good to know these things and every week I'll learn more. :D

MooShop wrote: »
    I didn't drink any water prior to getting in the pool, just constant consumption during the day, I drank last about 20minutes before getting into the pool I think.

It's a learning curve to see what works and what adversely affects you but good to know these things and every week I'll learn more. :D

Indeed, and each session start at a measured pace then gradually build up as you get the flow going after a few lengths

Set a target of X amount of lengths, and vary the style after every 20 lengths or so

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Indeed, and each session start at a measured pace then gradually build up as you get the flow going after a few lengths

Set a target of X amount of lengths, and vary the style after every 20 lengths or so

It will be a while before I have built up to manage 20 lengths I'd say, but what do you mean by varying style?

MooShop wrote: »
    It will be a while before I have built up to manage 20 lengths I'd say, but what do you mean by varying style?

Well even if you do 20 in total that's great to start. Aim for that number and don't do any more. Then gradually increase to do more lengths as you get better.
    Don't tire yourself out as you'll look at the whole experience as too much effort and get discouraged.

Varying style is doing 5 lengths front-crawl, then 5 lengths breast stroke, then 5 lengths back stroke, etc

I usually do 40 front crawl, 10 breastroke, 10 front crawl, 10 backstroke and a final 10 front crawl to finish off... feel all sorts of muscles getting a great workout :)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Well even if you do 20 in total that's great to start. Aim for that number and don't do any more. Then gradually increase to do more lengths as you get better.
    Don't tire yourself out as you'll look at the whole experience as too much effort and get discouraged.

Varying style is doing 5 lengths front-crawl, then 5 lengths breast stroke, then 5 lengths back stroke, etc

I usually do 40 front crawl, 10 breastroke, 10 front crawl, 10 backstroke and a final 10 front crawl to finish off... feel all sorts of muscles getting a great workout :)

Ah OK, that sounds great! Hopefully with a bit of practice and work I can get to that sort of level!!

Best exercise you can do really. I have a pretty bad back, but since I got back into swimming it's not bothered me anywhere as much during the day.

Back muscles and core muscles are built up without you even realising.

Advertisement