Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

• 27-01-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

The best thing that happened to Newstalk's Breakfast Show was Claire Byrne leaving it. Why would anyone in Montrose think that it would be a good idea to get her to present a current affairs programme? Its not a programme a lot of people listen to, but still, there are any number of more suitable presenters knocking around RTE.

http://blog.marketing.ie/?p=4652

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I really enjoy the late debate, this is really terrible news :(

What are the people in RTE thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Can't believe that.

Her questioning style seemed to be ask something that if the interviewee answered in a truthful manner would cause all sorts of headlines.

Which is fine if the question itself could be considered subtle/innocuous enough to gain a straight answer from anyone but a complete idiot. Or even if the question was posed in a fairly gentle/friendly manner the way Finucane seems to be able to do.

When the interviewee did the obvious thing and not answer the damn question she would just repeat the question in an increasingly hectoring tone achieving nothing except to make the interviewee more and more defensive.

I assume she tries for something similar to Paxmans style of interviewing, but she has neither the gravitas, intelligence or usually knowledge about the topic she was asking about.

Stupid decision by RTE one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The post above sums up my feelings. A truly facepalm moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What's happening Cormac O'Hara?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

This is a shocking shocking decision. :mad:

She's got a face for television. Lets leave it that way. She's perfect for the fluff tv with that moron Daithi O'Shea.

Couldnt stand her on the breakfast show and now newstalk is my station of choice in the morning since she left. Little analysis, depth or grace to her interviewing technique. Shocking.

Will not be listening while she hosts it. What was wrong with Cormac??? Not "glam" enough for Montrose I suppose...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You'll take what you're given from RTE.
    What a bunch of chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Your man Cormac did a good job anytime I listened to the show. Byrne on RTE, Coleman on Newstalk, not exactly a treasure trove of late evening current affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

telekon wrote: »
    This is a shocking shocking decision. :mad: She's got a face for television. Lets leave it that way. She's perfect for the fluff tv with that moron Daithi O'Shea.

I agree with my oul pal Telekon.. Cant understand how they have given her this if they have listened to her on the radio show.. I hope Rachael's not ill again is she? She's an excellent presenter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Will they be feeding her the questions via an earpiece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sergeant wrote: »
    Your man Cormac did a good job anytime I listened to the show.

Yeah Cormac is a tough, solid presenter.. Much better than Coleman who coughs and splutters his way through the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Cormac will probably continue with Glór Anoir on RTÉ RnaG

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Will they be feeding her the questions via an earpiece?

The presenters tend to wear fairly obvious headphones (usually DT100s) so no need for an earpiece. Producers feed presenters possible questions and suggestions by talkback and text all the time.

Cormac O Hara is a very competent presenter and I think it's a shame that he's being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah no not Claire byrne. Did rte not listen to one bit of her newstalk "career" ? I agree with everything most people have said. I caught the show she does with your man from Kerry and good god almighty, you could have replastered the gable end of a house with the makeup she had on.

*unsubscribes to the late debate podcast*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It's only during the election campaign that she's on, i presume Cormac will be doing work on RnaG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

dib wrote: »
    Cormac O Hara is a very competent presenter and I think it's a shame that he's being replaced.

I agree. Maybe that and the fact that he doesn't allow guests (particularly ministers) to waffle on and on made him unpopular with those in charge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

She's a complete disaster, the show is noticeably of poorer quality since she took over. No gravitas, very poor presenting style, annoying voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah jaysus i was hoping this was just a rumour.

i dont listen to the late debate that often, mainly as i keep forgetting its on.

i tend to switch over to it when coleman on newstalk gets up himself on a subject and always found it a more stable show.

byrne is just a disaster on radio, the newstalk breakfast show is actually FUN now and while chris is still getting into his stride as a presenter its obvious he and ivan get on. something byrne has never been able to impart with whom ever she's partnered with.

i hope this really is just for the election period as she hasnt got the temperment or charisma to do this full time.

byrne is just a disaster on radio, the newstalk breakfast show is actually FUN now and while chris is still getting into his stride as a presenter its obvious he and ivan get on. something byrne has never been able to impart with whom ever she's partnered with.

I bet she has to carry a cold spoon around when working with her current tv partner. Sleazebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

She was hopeless on Newstalk,bet Ivan was glad to get shot of her. Seems she wants to be Kay Burley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bring back Rachel English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Cormac O'Hara was very good at presenting this show. I can't believe this airhead has been given his slot. She's thick and if she's the best RTE have to present this then god help us.
    I'm raging because I used to listen to the late debate but it's insulting to me as a listener when the presenter is a dim witted bluffer. She'll probably go along way in RTE now that she's got her foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 excellence

I think I'll stick with TV3 and Vincent Browne. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 discodekkers

I don't think the opinions here from what I hear coincide with Ms. Byrne's. Sadly it appears RTE are impressed with style not substance. I wish her sights were lower as she will be found out. She's good on TV fluff though. Cormac O'Hara was pretty impressive but the standard of Rachel English is hard to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The election has come and gone, but it looks like Byrne is here to stay.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/latedebate/

Maybe it's time that a certain agents influence at RTE was questioned. She's obviously not the best person for the job, so why did she get it?

Rubik. wrote: »
    The election has come and gone, but it looks like Byrne is here to stay.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/latedebate/

Maybe it's time that a certain agents influence at RTE was questioned. She's obviously not the best person for the job, so why did she get it?

Ah c'mon, you can't be serious! :mad:

Seriously, what does she have on the senior management in Montrose???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So it wasn't just for the election then ? Who's cornflakes did cormac o hara piss in to get shafted for Claire byrne ?

@ telekon the pics must be dynamite on someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Who's cornflakes did cormac o hara piss in to get shafted for Claire byrne ?

OOORRR - who ate Claire Byrne's cornflakes for breakfast ?, to get her "the gig". ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Doubt she'll be eating too many cornflakes over the coming days.

She just had her appendix removed.

Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

had to laugh that i heard that on newstalks breakfast show of all places , apparetly she's still in contact with ivan.

so she's gonna be permanent on the slot then eh ?

looks like my boycott of it is then as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

had to laugh that i heard that on newstalks breakfast show of all places , apparetly she's still in contact with ivan.

so she's gonna be permanent on the slot then eh ?

looks like my boycott of it is then as well.

+ 1000%

It is UTTERLY UNFATHOMABLE that Claire Byrne has been given this slot over Cormac O'Hara. The programme has gone down already under Ms Byrne's watch.

PS - I heard Donagh Diamond stand in last week and he was fine. What on earth does he do in RTE for the rest of the time - he only occasionally reports for Prime Time??????????????

Advertisement