Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I found it unsettling how he handles her; it’s not like he’s security or police either, totally OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Of course I blame him. Who else would you blame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Lux23 wrote: »
    Of course I blame him. Who else would you blame?

The daft lass for causing a scene. Plus she may have had weapons. Safety first !

The lady for causing a scene. Plus she may have had weapons. Safety first !

She has a right to protest. He had a right to have her removed, but he didn't need to drag her by the throat. He only has himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I blame him. That is really disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He grabs her around the neck and slams her into a pillar?

Christ, who are you meant to blame here?

The lady for causing a scene. Plus she may have had weapons. Safety first !

He assaulted her. She didn't touch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

play stupid games, win stupid prizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

He assaulted her. She didn't touch him.

Potentially this could have been a terrorist attack ! Cause and effect !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I bet if it was a bloke he wouldn't have done it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Question 1: Would it have been different if it was security grabbing her and hauling her out?

Question 2: Was the protester a man, would the same noise be made? Or would the MP been "lauded for his prompt action in the interest of everyone's security"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

He wasn't employed as security, he had no right to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭tritium

Spook_ie wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-mark-field-under-fire-after-grabbing-protester-by-neck-11745967

Should they be charging him with assault or not, should he be made to resign, given the shooting of MP Jo Cox, the "joke" of throwing acid and other things I think not, peaceful protest doesn't mean rushing up to a top table of "dignatories"

Tbh this is a difficult one and I suspect the optics are being managed to get as much publicity at the expense of Mr Fiels as possible.

Someone pointed out that had she been armed we’d be hailing him as a hero, and I think that’s spot on. In the moment what mr Field had to assess was an uninvited intruder heading directly for the governor of the BoE. In any realistic threat assessment the right action is to prevent that. That he did so with a relatively low level of force is actually pretty impressive.

A few MPs have jumped on the image of a male mp laying his hands on a woman, but really, where a possibility of armed threat applies and a split second decision is needed that idea is very flawed. Knives and guns don’t really care about gender I’m afraid. It was particularly shameful to have the likes of Jess Phillips play that card after what happened to her colleague Jo Cox. She isn’t the only one either, we have similar cases in recent years in Brazil and Scandinavia of politicians being attacked while in public places.

If any blame is applicable here it falls on the protest organizers, who decided it was a good idea to go for maximum impact by gatecrashing the event and putting their volunteers in danger. In many ways the protester was lucky, had there been a heavier security presence, possibly armed, this could have ended far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Whatever about your man, P45 for the security guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭tritium

joe40 wrote: »
    He wasn't employed as security, he had no right to do it.

And if the protestor had a knife intended for mark carney would you still say that, even though the alternative would be to allow that to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He did right. Throw her out.

ciaran76 wrote: »

Yes.

And I think we all know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Spook_ie wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-mark-field-under-fire-after-grabbing-protester-by-neck-11745967

Should they be charging him with assault or not, should he be made to resign, given the shooting of MP Jo Cox, the "joke" of throwing acid and other things I think not, peaceful protest doesn't mean rushing up to a top table of "dignatories"

Someone gatecrashed a dinner/speech and he stopped her from reaching the top table. She could have had a knife or anything on her. She deserved everything she got. If it was a woman taking down a man she'd be getting a reward for bravery.

The protester deserved everything she got. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We need more people like him to be honest....

To many getting away with everything because the others are afraid to do what's right....

He didn't hurt her and didn't grab her by the throat.... He did however hold the back of her neck to guide her out....

If he punched her for example then that would be an issue but I see absolutely no issues with stopping her...

He deplatformed her! VIOLENTLY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ciaran76 wrote: »

I bet if a woman did the same to a bloke protester, she'd be up for a bravery award.

He was sitting at the pillar that’s why she’s up against it. He didn’t assault her.

• Lux23 wrote: »
    She has a right to protest. He had a right to have her removed, but he didn't need to drag her by the throat. He only has himself to blame.
    Your throat is on the front of the neck. He put his hand on the back of her neck. Don't trespass if you can't handle being forcibly ejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭AlanG

It was certainly an over-reaction and too physical. It is amazing that there was no security to protect the Chancellor who is the second most important politician in the UK. Anyone there was put in a difficult situation given the security threats that UK politicians face.
    What is also significant is how many people are fixated that the protestor was a woman, as though women are delicate flowers who cannot do any harm even though they are now serving in front lines throughout the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I can’t see any issue here.

He didn’t physically assault her.

He did just enough to remove her from an event where she was neither invited nor welcome.

Not seeing a problem at all.

He was sitting at the pillar that’s why she’s up against it. He didn’t assault her.

There is a video of him assaulting her? What is wrong with people nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

You'd see rougher at the Christmas sales to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Define assault???

Is that a question or a statement, lux?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well you see she's an SJW-WTF-BBQ-snowflake and anything goes there in the mind of some folk here.

She could have been a nuclear bomb or an Apache attack helicopter and sure he was only massaging her neck and gently guiding her to the exit.

Of course many of the same people defending this believe that someone getting milkshake on their jacket is an act of terrorism so....you know.....

Advertisement