Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

can someone help me to clarify doubts about attic conversion?

• 05-02-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post about this.

I have a new semi-d house, 2 storey, 3 bedrooms in a new estate and I want to convert the attic into a "room" that will be used as a computer room. The available space for conversion will be around 18sqm.

I spoke with few companies (fully insured and registered) doing attic conversion and seems that the situation is the following:

- no planning permission required, cause the max height will be around 2.10m (so legally it will be a non-habitable room)
    - windows will be placed on the back
    - no extensions
    - no bathrooms
    - just an empty room with sockets and a heater.

The job will be performed according to these fire regulation rules on housing gov ie website for 2 storey house converting into 3. (sorry I cannot post links yet)

so there will be a permanent stair making the house 3 storey.

- separating the new room from stairways
    - new door will be fire proof and self closing
    - interconnected smoke alarms
    - 1 window will be emergency exit
    - stairs will be fire proof
    - all reported in the pdf will be applied.

also a full compliance certificate will be issued by the structural engineer (do I need explicitly an architect?)

Considering I have home insurance and mortgage, can this create any problem?
    Is there anything else im missing? As far as I know insurance company should request the compliance certificate and update the premium, the bank should not ask anything.

Should I be OK if I would like to sell the house in the future or re-mortgage?

Thanks.
    P109.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stairwell to be min 30min fire resistance, leading to all doors onto stairwell to be self closing FD 30 S fire doors ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pippo109 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post about this.

I have a new semi-d house, 2 storey, 3 bedrooms in a new estate and I want to convert the attic into a "room" that will be used as a computer room. The available space for conversion will be around 18sqm.

I spoke with few companies (fully insured and registered) doing attic conversion and seems that the situation is the following:

- no planning permission required, cause the max height will be around 2.10m (so legally it will be a non-habitable room)
    - windows will be placed on the back
    - no extensions
    - no bathrooms
    - just an empty room with sockets and a heater.

The job will be performed according to these fire regulation rules on housing gov ie website for 2 storey house converting into 3. (sorry I cannot post links yet)

so there will be a permanent stair making the house 3 storey.

- separating the new room from stairways
    - new door will be fire proof and self closing
    - interconnected smoke alarms
    - 1 window will be emergency exit
    - stairs will be fire proof
    - all reported in the pdf will be applied.

also a full compliance certificate will be issued by the structural engineer (do I need explicitly an architect?)

Considering I have home insurance and mortgage, can this create any problem?
    Is there anything else im missing? As far as I know insurance company should request the compliance certificate and update the premium, the bank should not ask anything.

Should I be OK if I would like to sell the house in the future or re-mortgage?

Thanks.
    P109.

Every other door from a habitable room that enters the stair core will need to be retro fitted with self closing devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pippo109

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, these things will be all addressed too (I didn't report the full list, but all will follow the fire regulation requirements).

The only doubt is, we create a new "room" non-habitable due to the maxium height, so no planning permission, but in the end there is a stair going there and everything will be upgraded to be compliant with fire regulations.

I mean is that OK? or not having the minimum height you should not even being able to convert the attic?

I thought that: attic conversion implies ALWAYS planning permission, even if the room is non habitable.

editing: So the complete question is:
    * can I do all this without planning permission and be able to sell/remortgage the house if needed in the future without problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

kceire wrote: »
    Every other door from a habitable room that enters the stair core will need to be retro fitted with self closing devices.

Do you mean the doors on the 2nd floor bedrooms & bathroom all need to be changed to fire doors? I know seven people (family & neighbours) who had attics converted but no one changed doors. should they have changed them?

Do you mean the doors on the 2nd floor bedrooms & bathroom all need to be changed to fire doors? I know seven people (family & neighbours) who had attics converted but no one changed doors. should they have changed them?

Habitable rooms, so bedrooms etc
    Self closing devices, not fire doors. So the existing doors need to self close!

Yes, your family and friends should have done so in breach in my opinion.
    TGD Part B (Fire Safety)

1.5.7.3 Doorways - All doorways within the stairway enclosure should be fitted with a door, which in the case of an existing door to a habitable room or kitchen should be fitted with an appropriate self-closing device. Any new door to a habitable room should be a self-closing fire door (see Appendix B).

• Advertisement

Kceire, what do you think about it?
    editing: So the complete question is:
    * Can I do all this (what I listed in my previous post, attic, new stair, all fire regulations) without planning permission and be able to sell/remortgage the house if needed in the future without problems?

Of course I will get the compliance certificate from the architect/structural engineer.

It will be legal or we are in some kind of grey area? I don't want to do anything that is not 100% clear or not 100% legal.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Be under no doubt that if the attic is for human use you WILL require planning permission

Kceire, what do you think about it?

Of course I will get the compliance certificate from the architect/structural engineer.

It will be legal or we are in some kind of grey area? I don't want to do anything that is not 100% clear or not 100% legal.

Thanks!

You will need a certificate of compliance with building regs and a cert of compliance with the exempted development regs.

Ask them are they providing both of these.

Stanford wrote: »
    Be under no doubt that if the attic is for human use you WILL require planning permission

human use means bedroom? we want to put wardrobe, shelves and of course I would like to place at that point a table for working when im at home, but no bedroom no bathroom.

is that ok? if not, if there is no minimun height for being considered a habitable, how I could request planning permission?
    You will need a certificate of compliance with building regs and a cert of compliance with the exempted development regs.

Ask them are they providing both of these.

noted kceire! Thanks for the tip I will be sure they will issue both of them.

noted kceire! Thanks for the tip I will be sure they will issue both of them.

Double check before you pay a deposit and before they start.
    Usually, attic conversion companies do not supply these Certs. At best they may provide an engineers cert to say the steel complied but that will not be enough for future sale, mortgage etc

• Advertisement

Double check before you pay a deposit and before they start.
    Usually, attic conversion companies do not supply these Certs. At best they may provide an engineers cert to say the steel complied but that will not be enough for future sale, mortgage etc

oh nice call out thanks.

who should provide such certificates? any special authority?

oh nice call out thanks.

who should provide such certificates? any special authority?

You as a building owner, employ an Architect or Engineer or Surveyor to design, inspect and issue certification on completion.

Advertisement