Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 3a €249 on Vodafone (In Stock!)

Comments

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google-pixel-3a-pay-as-you-go-just-black

Ok so this seems like a great deal for a very good mid range phone with a flagship camera in it, €399 on the google store at the moment and it will drop to at least €349 on black friday but I cannot see it getting as cheap as €249.

Review here https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-pixel-3a,review-6452.html

Ok so the deal is only valid if you are porting you number to vodafone, so I just ordered a free sim from eir which I received in a few days, popped in my eir sim to get the verification code then put my 3 sim back in and completed my purchase.

Yeah, it's a good deal, picked up a couple last week. No complaints so far, even managed over 7.5 hours screen on time the other day.

The phone also comes unlocked, so can be used on any network.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great phone and great bargain!

My better half got this phone for €350 about 6 months ago. Has been great. Takes great pictures, look to be as good as my iPhone XS pics and night time pictures are even better then mine!

Screen looks nice, though not up to the top end phones. Haven't heard a single complaint from the missus about performance or battery, all seems good, though she isn't a gamer or heavy user like that.

Every previous Android phone she has gotten, there was always some complaint, camera poor, battery poor, performance poor. This is the first phone she has gotten where I haven't heard a single complaint from her.

So overall, an excellent all rounder for normal users and very good value for money IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Ok so the deal is only valid if you are porting you number to vodafone, so I just ordered a free sim from eir which I received in a few days, popped in my eir sim to get the verification code then put my 3 sim back in and completed my purchase.

Could someone elaborate on what's required here please?

Why would you need an Eir sim?

What does the verification code do?

Is the discount applied at the time of purchase, or do you receive a refund later?

My wife is currently with Eir, and would probably like to stay with them.

Is it possible to temporarily port her number to Vodafone, before putting her Eir sim into the phone, for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Evil_g wrote: »

Is the discount applied at the time of purchase, or do you receive a refund later?

Is it possible to temporarily port her number to Vodafone, before putting her Eir sim into the phone, for free.

The steps outlined above are to have a sim to port without messing with your own or your wife's sim card. The new Eir sim is used solely to have a number to port. Then when you receive the phone just put her current Eir sim in and forget about the ported one.

Not sure of any time periods to wait to port back and forward so using a new sim is just easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

The offer is for anyone porting their number to vodafone only but if you don't want to port you number to vodafone you can just order a new sim from Eir or Lycra Mobile which provides you with a new mobile number, that way you can port the new sims number instead of your one to activate the offer.

During the purchase of the phone it will ask you for a verification code, this is to prove the number your porting to vodafone belongs to you, to get this verification number all you have to do is pop your new sim into an unlocked phone and you will get a text message with a 5 digit number whihc you have to input in the vodafone website when ordering. Once this is done you just complete the order as normal. Its a very simple process and well worth doing to get this phone as a crazy low price.

Its applied at the time of purchase

No need to do this if you just port a different sim as explained above

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    The steps outlined above are to have a sim to port without messing with your own or your wife's sim card. The new Eir sim is used solely to have a number to port. Then when you receive the phone just put her current Eir sim in and forget about the ported one.

Not sure of any time periods to wait to port back and forward so using a new sim is just easier.

Ah. Now I get it. Very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Savage deal. Pity I paid full price just 5 months ago.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry but can i just confirm something please? Can i order the phone and then do the eir sim/port business once ordered or do i have to port my new eir sim to Vodafone first and then order the phone? Don't want to miss this deal.

Edit: nvm, just tried to complete purchase and i need the new sim alright. Thanks, will try get a new sim asap!

Also, can you get a free eir sim from in store or just online.

2nd edit: ok, 10 euro to get sim in store, worth it to make sure i can get the deal today but is it 100% unlocked so a Three sim will work without any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I bought the dunnes deal in Summer for a vodafone phone. I am having sooooooo much trouble with VF as the handset has intermittent faults. Gone to comreg. I would never buy a phone off a network again, sim free from amazon etc only.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sorry but can i just confirm something please? Can i order the phone and then do the eir sim/port business once ordered or do i have to port my new eir sim to Vodafone first and then order the phone? Don't want to miss this deal.

Edit: nvm, just tried to complete purchase and i need the new sim alright. Thanks, will try get a new sim asap!

Also, can you get a free eir sim from in store or just online.

2nd edit: ok, 10 euro to get sim in store, worth it to make sure i can get the deal today but is it 100% unlocked so a Three sim will work without any hassle?

I'm using mine with a 3 SIM, no issues.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm using mine with a 3 SIM, no issues.

Excellent thanks and thanks OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So is €10 the cheapest PAYG SIM you can buy from a B&M store? I'm looking at getting one from somewhere on my lunchbreak so I can order this today - I have a feeling it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Sappy404 wrote: »
    So is €10 the cheapest PAYG SIM you can buy from a B&M store? I'm looking at getting one from somewhere on my lunchbreak so I can order this today - I have a feeling it won't last.

Lyca Mobile sims can be picked up in loads of shops for free. Once you activate the sim in a phone it gives you the number.

Sup08 wrote: »
    Lyca Mobile sims can be picked up in loads of shops for free. Once you activate the sim in a phone it gives you the number.

I'd be careful with Lyca. Here are the terms for one of their porting offers:
    Offers only available to PAYG customers who switch to Vodafone from another network, and purchase the selected handsets, offers excludes customers switching from Lyca Mobile

Sup08 wrote: »

Thanks! I saw they were free online but wasn't sure about in a shop. Tried my local Spar but no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone know what stores have Lyca sims? Thanks.

JTMan wrote: »
    Anyone know what stores have Lyca sims? Thanks.

Couple of posts above advise to be careful with Lyca as the T&C's say not applicable for Lyca customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Decisions decisions. I have a Galaxy S8 as my personal phone and a Pixel 3 for my work phone. From what I can read the Pixel 3A and S8 are pretty much equal- I don't think the 3A would be worth upgrading to from an S8..... or am I wrong?

Are they sim free or locked to the network?

Can you get the 100e off and go payg then change to bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Can you get the 100e off and go payg then change to bill ?

I can't see them having a problem with that but would you not get a better offer on a phone signing up on bill pay?

• Advertisement

Went the Eir route. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Seems a good deal but not sure it's a big enough leap over my Nokia 7 Plus apart from perhaps the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Nice phone but 5.6 inch screen is a bit too small .

Between now and the start of December is usually the best time of year for phone bargains I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Sappy404 wrote: »

Who does them for a tenner?

Who does them for a tenner?

Eir, I believe

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ush1 wrote: »
    Seems a good deal but not sure it's a big enough leap over my Nokia 7 Plus apart from perhaps the camera.

The 3000mAh battery would be a big downgrade from the 7 plus unfortunately.

Anyone know what the onboard storage is? Can't find that info on the VF site. 64GB?

Anyone know what the onboard storage is? Can't find that info on the VF site. 64GB?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can anybody confirm if the offer is available in store? And also why people are hesitating to port their actual number to Vodafone? I'm thinking of porting over and then back on the same day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Absolute bargain, cheers OP.

I wonder will the Clearly White colour ever be in stock?

Advertisement