Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting 1440 x 900 display res on a Windows 95 VM

• 30-04-2018 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to solve a mystery here.
    I have a Windows 95 virtual machine set up in VirtualBox and I am using a 1440 x 900 monitor. Problem is that win95 only has a VGA display driver and I have tried several approaches to try get it to work at 1440x900.
    First I tried SciTech Display Doctor that is SVGA and that allows various 4:3 resolutions but there is no 1440 x 900 option.
    Then I tried a registry hack I found online to add in a 1440x900 option. Didn't work.

Then I researched and found another driver that is supposed to work with VB called VBEMP. I installed this and while it gives an option for 1440 x 900 depending on how it's installed, when I go to apply it I get an error saying the settings can't be applied because my graphics adapter has insufficient memory.
    I've tried various things, such as increasing the VMs graphics memory to 128MB (max allowed) and using the 32 and 64MB versions of the VBEMP driver.

At this stage I'm at a loss on what to do.

Has anyone else had this issue before or any other ideas on how to get my win95 going at 1440x900. I really don't want to change monitors to 4:3 because i put a lot of effort into painting the case and stand as this is part of my Retro PC build that I posted on a few weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

You were lucky if you could get 800x600 in 1995. I remember my cousins PC ran at 640x480. That's a very high resolution for the time and it wouldn't be period correct if that's what you're looking for.

You know that there's free software like React OS that allow you to run old Windows programs?

Advertisement