Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPSN for car insurance

Options
  • 20-02-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am renewing my car insurance and my broker has asked me to provide my PPSN otherwise they will cancel my insurance. I have contacted mywelfare and they have confirmed that only public bodies can ask for this information. Just wondering if anyone is facing the same issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭ants09

SpaceX wrote: »
    I am renewing my car insurance and my broker has asked me to provide my PPSN otherwise they will cancel my insurance. I have contacted mywelfare and they have confirmed that only public bodies can ask for this information. Just wondering if anyone is facing the same issue? Thanks.

Ask your broker on what legal basis are they relying on your PPSN number and ask them for specific section of the law they are relying on.

Tell your broker also that you contacted mywelfare and what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

SpaceX wrote: »

What they told you is not correct.

If you are paying by DD and it is more than €500 you must by law provide your PPS.

By law any provision of credit worth €500 or over including payments by installment (deferred payment) requires a PPS number since January 1st 2018.

By law when applying for any loan, deferred payment or other form of financial accommodation the provider is legally required to request and you are legally required to give your PPS number, failure to do so results in no credit.

These are legal requirements applicable to any provider and to all consumers once the value is €500 or more under the provisions of the Credit Reporting Act 2013 which saw the measures introduced from 2018.

I detailed the law here previously:-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107526167

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

GM228 wrote: »
    What they told you is not correct.

If you are paying by DD and it is more than €500 you must by law provide your PPS.

By law any provision of credit worth €500 or over including payments by installment (deferred payment) requires a PPS number since January 1st 2018.

By law when applying for any loan, deferred payment or other form of financial accommodation the provider is legally required to request and you are legally required to give your PPS number, failure to do so results in no credit.

These are legal requirements applicable to any provider and to all consumers once the value is €500 or more under the provisions of the Credit Reporting Act 2013 which saw the measures introduced from 2018.

I detailed the law here previously:-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107526167

News to me, I'm paying over 1k insurance for motorbike insurance by DD and no-one asked for mine.

Not so sure I'd give it to them either btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

galwaytt wrote: »
    News to me, I'm paying over 1k insurance for motorbike insurance by DD and no-one asked for mine.

Not so sure I'd give it to them either btw.

Well they should have, it's the law, they are legally obligated to collect it and for you to provide it, if asked and you refuse the legal requirement is they refuse to facilitate credit and so no insurance.

GM228 wrote: »
    Well they should have, it's the law, they are legally obligated to collect it and for you to provide it, if asked and you refuse the legal requirement is they refuse to facilitate credit and so no insurance.

Not so sure about that.

A credit agreement is a credit agreement.

A contract for insurance, and the issuance of the Cert for RTA purposes is a standalone process.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not so sure about that.

A credit agreement is a credit agreement.

A contract for insurance, and the issuance of the Cert for RTA purposes is a standalone process.

If your insurer can't clear the line of credit, you're not getting the standalone insurance policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I often paid my insurance by the month, was never asked for it. More nanny state crap again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I often paid my insurance by the month, was never asked for it. More nanny state crap again?

Regulations and GDPR are the worst things (IMO) to protect insurance policyholders. Insurers are now obliged to provide policyholders with the most minute of details and the stuff that really matters is lost in the reams of paperwork they are obliged to provide. It would be. better for everyone if insurers could simply say "refer to our website for terms and conditions" and only include paperwork for changes in policy wordings, cover and excesses etc.

If your insurer can't clear the line of credit, you're not getting the standalone insurance policy

but that's just it: the credit was applied for, approved, and issued. Subsequently the RTA Cert arrived.

PPSN wasn't even mentioned.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement