Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your view on renaming boats.

Options
  • 14-05-2019 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

A friend has just bought a boat which he is going to rename. I had, and have numerous boats but have never renamed a boat. Maybe I am just superstitious but I feel the original name is part of the history of the boat and gives it character. I know of people who rename dogs they adopt or buy but both dog and boat renaming feel wrong to me. How do you feel about it?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Depends on the name of the boat. Some boats have names that are personal to a previous owner that could be named after a family and don't suit a new owner, other boats just have terrible names that need to be changed. I changed the name of my boat back to its original name from when it was built because the name I bought it with was stupid and didn't suit the boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

He could call it Theseus, or Trigger's Broom.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My dad bought a boat in the early 90's, (she was a salvage job). Originally called 'First Tri" (she was a Beneteau First 32s5, and a lot of Beneteau First's would have 'First' in the name) but my dad renamed her 'Sweet Freedom'.

When he sold her, he bought me a mini tonner racing boat which was called 'Will O The Wisp' which I renamed 'Wildfire'. I had her for about 6 years, and had great fun racing (and winning) in local club racing.

Last year I bought a boat that was called 'Empathy', I liked the name so kept it, but if I didn't like it I'd have no qualms in changing it.

The point is, you can change the name if you want. I wouldn't be superstitious about it at all.

The only time I'd absolutely not change a name would be if the boat was well known, or had a good racing history (i.e. Imp, Moonduster etc.... but ill never own any of the old famous facing boats)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

neris wrote: »
    the name I bought it with was stupid and didn't suit the boat

You have to tell us now.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

My boat was called "Gay Lady" I have nothing against them but felt it might be misleading to other boaters so I changed it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ships have name changes with every new owner and sometimes with a new long term charter. I've worked on ships that had numerous previous names and there's nothing to the superstition. Change it to whatever takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drummerlad

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a place to buy the Vinyl letters for a boat? I am looking at Amazon but I am not sure of how they will look when they arrive.

thanks,

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

drummerlad wrote: »
    Hello,

Can anyone recommend a place to buy the Vinyl letters for a boat? I am looking at Amazon but I am not sure of how they will look when they arrive.

thanks,

Brian

Go to your local print shop or signmakers/writers they will churn out whatever your heart desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

It is generally reckoned for the superstitious that you should keep a piece of the old name on board the vessel when you change name. So if there are decals then keep a little piece of a letter and plank it somewhere on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

It is generally reckoned for the superstitious that you should keep a piece of the old name on board the vessel when you change name. So if there are decals then keep a little piece of a letter and plank it somewhere on board.

Some say it is not bad luck if you change the name when the boat is out of the water.
    Another boat I know kept the original name but put the new name in bigger letters.
    Of course, if a boat has a pretentious or hard to pronounce name, other boaters will give it an unflattering nickname

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

If you can't take it out of the water:

Take any and all evidence of the old name off the boat, decals, name plates, skippers caps, anything.
    Make a paper boat as in with a sheet of A4. Write the old name on it, launch it and try set fire to it as well.

Then you're safe to rename the boat. If it's a barge christen it with a bottle of ale or stout.

And I tell myself that I'm not superstitious:)

Advertisement