Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glendalough highest point

Options
  • 27-04-2019 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hello

I am hoping to go hiking in glendalough soon and I want to bring my drone and camera to get some scenic shots on top of some cliffs there. I was just wondering if anyone with experience of glendalough here knows where the highest point is or where there would be some good high up points to get some photos?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

hello

I am hoping to go hiking in glendalough soon and I want to bring my drone and camera to get some scenic shots on top of some cliffs there. I was just wondering if anyone with experience of glendalough here knows where the highest point is or where there would be some good high up points to get some photos?

thanks

Highest point in Wicklow would be Lugnaquilla. The highest nearest point to Glendalough would probably be Whitehill. Views rely on clear weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

hello

thanks

There is a terrain layer on Google maps which will give you an idea of the topography in the area which may be useful for finding good locations. You could also take a look at
    www.photoephemeris.com
    Which will give you the direction of the sun etc at any given time on the date you plan to go, might give an idea for where to go line up pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

The spinc cliffs over the upper lake at glendalough have probably the best views. If you buy the walking map from the visitor centre (€1.50 or something very cheap) it's the white/blue route. You will get great drone footage from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

hello

thanks

The highest point around the lakes is The Spinc. Its on the west side of valley. There are a few cliff edge viewing points along the walk, so great for photos.
    www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/recreation/walking-trails/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

hello

thanks

do you not find flying drones annoys other people hiking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

Jewelers wrote: »
    do you not find flying drones annoys other people hiking ?

Ill go early in the day when there are few hikers

Ill go early in the day when there are few hikers

You may well find that flying a drone is not permitted in the park.

Edit: You need a permit.

https://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/recreation/photography/

It’s nesting season so I don’t rate your chances. WMNP staff are fairly hardline on people disturbing wildlife (rightly so) so you might be better off asking them what times of year are appropriate to use your drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You'll need a permit

Edit: as pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are usually peregrine falcons nesting on the cliffs below the Spink, please don't even think about flying a drone anywhere near there. As mentioned you need a permit and the chances of getting one purely for personal use is probably very close to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Hoboo wrote: »
    You'll need a permit

Edit: as pointed out

There is a god after all. Imagine going out there to hear the dawn chorus and some gimp flying a drone around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

There is a god after all. Imagine going out there to hear the dawn chorus and some gimp flying a drone around.

Only time I'd condone the use of a shotgun. There's already plenty of drone footage available, no need for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I agree with the sentiment but is there any need for the insult?

OP taking photos from the Spinc is like taking photos from a drone anyway- there are spectacular views of the valley and all photos are aerial shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

sideswipe wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment but is there any need for the insult?

OP taking photos from the Spinc is like taking photos from a drone anyway- there are spectacular views of the valley and all photos are aerial shots.

Great, and there are also animals who call the valley home who don't need a drone to disturb them early in the morning. Spectacular view or no spectacular view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Great, and there are also animals who call the valley home who don't need a drone to disturb them early in the morning. Spectacular view or no spectacular view.
    Yes, apart from nesting peregrines, there are deer down in the valley and also goats that are often seen on the upper parts of the cliffs who will have kids at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Not sure if you think I’m disagreeing with you,I’m not (apart form the insult). I think drones shouldn’t be allowed near the area because of the issues with wildlife that have been mentioned.

Advertisement