Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contract rates 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's simple to go back to permie when no contracts are around, and then switching back to contracts when they become available.

You can put the company on hold with no penalties.

Best of both worlds and you're never out of work, plus can avail of the best rates available at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's simple to go back to permie when no contracts are around, and then switching back to contracts when they become available.

You can put the company on hold with no penalties.

Best of both worlds and you're never out of work, plus can avail of the best rates available at the time.

Clearly stated by someone who was not around when the dot.com bubble burst !! When that crash hit IT, there were no IT jobs to be had anywhere - permanent or contract, unless you were very lucky. Most companies where letting go large amounts of people themselves so the idea of hiring an ex-contractor looking for a port in a storm was pretty slim.

The last recession was not as painful as the dot.com bubble for IT, but rates did fall and have stayed on the lower side (in my personal opinion) since. The difference was it was possible to get roles during the recession, but the rates/salaries had fallen a good bit.

Switching between the two is not that easily done. It also means that any 'benefits' you have set up like life assurance (death in service), pension, income protection etc have to be released and reapplied for when you go back contracting and likely to cost a lot higher as you are older.

Funnily enough, I think its easier get a contract job in a mild recession than a permanent job as its less risk for the company and many companies are blocked from taking on additional head count during a recession, but can take on a resource that is capitalisable !

On a different note, if I saw a CV in front of me for someone who switched and changed every 12-18 months applying for a permanent job, I would seriously question it and say you were simply looking for something while the market was slower. I would definitely not 'invest' in you as an employee until you have proven commitment, which your CV would scream is lacking.

14ned wrote: »
    Hear hear.

I just left contracting after ten years, because I believe a tech bubble burst is coming soon, and I don't want to be left out in the cold (again). Being permie again is weird, performance reviews, bonuses, responsibilities. But it's fully remote, and paid from the US. I cannot complain, probably the nicest permie role I've worked yet.

It's easy to be attracted by the income flexibility of contracting. But it does require you to be fortunate in health, landing new contracts, and upskilling into the right new niche skills. In a booming economy, that increased risk factor isn't so obvious. It becomes very obvious in a downturn. Also, the higher your pay relative to your colleagues, the more likely you'll get laid off, so while pay increases are great, it does make you a nail to be hammered down during layoffs.

Niall

Absolutely agree, but not sure we will see the serious tech bubble bursting like dot.com - but there will be a slowdown within tech and the economy at large within the next 12-18 months (maybe sooner) and this will definitely create serious ripples through the comfort zone of a lot of contractors. The big issue will be those working on major programmes of work, as its likely a number of these will not start or be paused while uncertainty exists around funding. Very few capital projects kick off in a large recession.

I think its a good call to consider moving permie now (especially if you dont have reasonable financial security or large commitments), or if not, definitely looking at what the next big thing will be and how you can upskill into that to differentiate yourself from the masses when it becomes a hirer's market again.

Of course, some will be lucky, but others will definitely struggle and quickly become a race to the bottom !

SEPARATELY, recessions tend to trigger major innovation as people who find themselves out of work look to keep themselves busy with little projects and can end up spinning up companies as a result as things start to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Absolutely agree, but not sure we will see the serious tech bubble bursting like dot.com - but there will be a slowdown within tech and the economy at large within the next 12-18 months (maybe sooner)

You say that, but thing is, back in 2000 there were definitely signs of weakness. Parts of the bubble were beginning to deflate. It only caused other parts to inflate even quicker if I remember right. But the general feeling I got was one of disease. It felt, unsustainable, unbalanced, teetering. Like this past 12 months.

And thus it proved a year or so later. I was unemployable for several years after. But I learned to recognise that feeling.

I felt the same alarm bells around 2007-2008, and hoarded cash. Even then I was deeply unprepared for 2009 onwards. I'm not minded to repeat my past mistakes of underestimating potential severity.
    I think its a good call to consider moving permie now (especially if you dont have reasonable financial security or large commitments),

I now have small children and an unemployable wife due to her giving up her career. That makes me the most risk adverse that I have ever been in my life.
    SEPARATELY, recessions tend to trigger major innovation as people who find themselves out of work look to keep themselves busy with little projects and can end up spinning up companies as a result as things start to improve

It is a statistical fact that the average lifetime earnings for those in tech who do not get laid off during a bubble burst far exceed those who do get laid off. For every one who succeeds with a major innovation due to time freedom, there are 99 who do not. Averaging means that the rational choice is to make extremely sure you don't get laid off during a downturn.

And that means don't look expensive to HR when the axe starts to fall. Contractors are very cheap to lay off. Overpaid employees also rise to the top of any pile. It always ends up swinging the other way, in the end.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Absolutely agree, but not sure we will see the serious tech bubble bursting like dot.com - but there will be a slowdown within tech and the economy at large within the next 12-18 months (maybe sooner)

Really? That's a really interesting viewpoint - what makes you think that? I would have said that the current bull market for techies is here to stay for some time yet. In fact, I'd say there's a serious shortage of good s/w folk, so I see absolutelt no sign of any slowdown in the foreseeable future!

• Advertisement

Clearly stated by someone who was not around when the dot.com bubble burst !! When that crash hit IT, there were no IT jobs to be had anywhere - permanent or contract, unless you were very lucky. Most companies where letting go large amounts of people themselves so the idea of hiring an ex-contractor looking for a port in a storm was pretty slim.

The last recession was not as painful as the dot.com bubble for IT, but rates did fall and have stayed on the lower side (in my personal opinion) since. The difference was it was possible to get roles during the recession, but the rates/salaries had fallen a good bit.

Switching between the two is not that easily done. It also means that any 'benefits' you have set up like life assurance (death in service), pension, income protection etc have to be released and reapplied for when you go back contracting and likely to cost a lot higher as you are older.

Funnily enough, I think its easier get a contract job in a mild recession than a permanent job as its less risk for the company and many companies are blocked from taking on additional head count during a recession, but can take on a resource that is capitalisable !

On a different note, if I saw a CV in front of me for someone who switched and changed every 12-18 months applying for a permanent job, I would seriously question it and say you were simply looking for something while the market was slower. I would definitely not 'invest' in you as an employee until you have proven commitment, which your CV would scream is lacking.

I've been in IT since 2001 and have 0 problems jumping around between permie and contracts or even taking out several months between to go traveling.

It's never stopped me from walking into a job whenever I wanted to go back into it and the private pension is not affected.

Anyway this is all completely off topic which was simply a query about what the current rates are.

As I'm the OP this thread has gone off topic so please close thread, cheers :)

bpmurray wrote: »
    Really? That's a really interesting viewpoint - what makes you think that? I would have said that the current bull market for techies is here to stay for some time yet. In fact, I'd say there's a serious shortage of good s/w folk, so I see absolutelt no sign of any slowdown in the foreseeable future!

You are looking too close at software and not at the wider economic situation both at home and abroad. Economic cycles are part of life, and we have been in a bull cycle for many years now.

Software by enlarge is a services industry and relies on other companies/people to buy their products. A slowdown in the economy in general will see company budgets being cut. The first thing that tends to drop off then is capital investment, including new software projects.

There can be a serious shortage of software people, but if demand for the software products fall through the floor, demand disappears and so does the shortage.

I would ALWAYS caution about statements like absolutely no sign of a slowdown in the foreseeable future. Things always look their best right before the ar$e falls out of it. You might be old enough to remember the infamous words "soft landing" just before the Irish property market collapse (triggered by liquidity issues in the global money markets - cause open for debate)

I've been in IT since 2001 and have 0 problems jumping around between permie and contracts or even taking out several months between to go traveling.

It's never stopped me from walking into a job whenever I wanted to go back into it and the private pension is not affected.

Anyway this is all completely off topic which was simply a query about what the current rates are.

As I'm the OP this thread has gone off topic so please close thread, cheers :)

Good for you and maybe you have been exceptionally lucky or maybe you have decided to go travelling when things are economically tighter and therefore missed the worst of it.

But I do have a question for you on the thread. Why would someone who has been flicking between contracting and perm since 2001 be even asking such a question around calculation of day rates? Surely you have been a contractor many times before and therefore know how to calculate your applicable day rate and the number of days to use? Maybe I am missing something here!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do...

Ah I had a long stint in permanent up until several months ago so was just double checking what the current rates were as opposed to just relying on one resource as I was due a rate change.

Ah I had a long stint in permanent up until several months ago so was just double checking what the current rates were as opposed to just relying on one resource as I was due a rate change.

But the question was on HOW you calculate a day rate (number of days) rather than the rate itself?

Good luck with the rate change and hope it works out for you

• Advertisement

There were two questions. What the going rate was and how people these days would calculate their rate as things might have changed since I was last in the game.

I was happy to accept the "advertised" rate for the contract initially though I wanted to arm myself coming up to rate review time.

There were two questions. What the going rate was and how people these days would calculate their rate as things might have changed since I was last in the game.

I was happy to accept the "advertised" rate for the contract initially though I wanted to arm myself coming up to rate review time.

Well to explicitly answer your question, I consider the calculation to be

day rate * 220 days = contract reward
    contract reward / 1.5 = permanent salary approximation

I use 220 days as
    52 * 5 = 260 - 10 (public holidays) - 25 (vacation days) - 5 (training/education days)
    Anything extra you take on top of that is personal and by choice normally

the 1.5 factor is 50% higher than permanent salary
    20% to cover various costs such as accountancy, training, health insurance, other insurances
    30% risk weighting for the times you are out of work

Anything above 1.5 is a bonus in my view, and should be jumped on when possible - but never assumed
    Anything below 1.5 needs to be considered with caution
    Anything below 1.2 are you are seriously undercutting yourself and would be better off in a permie role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Well to explicitly answer your question, I consider the calculation to be

day rate * 220 days = contract reward
    contract reward / 1.5 = permanent salary approximation

I use 220 days as
    52 * 5 = 260 - 10 (public holidays) - 25 (vacation days) - 5 (training/education days)
    Anything extra you take on top of that is personal and by choice normally

the 1.5 factor is 50% higher than permanent salary
    20% to cover various costs such as accountancy, training, health insurance, other insurances
    30% risk weighting for the times you are out of work

Anything above 1.5 is a bonus in my view, and should be jumped on when possible - but never assumed
    Anything below 1.5 needs to be considered with caution
    Anything below 1.2 are you are seriously undercutting yourself and would be better off in a permie role

Sounds optimistic no?

Sounds optimistic no?

Which part? The 1.2 factor or the 1.5 factor ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It is a statistical fact that the average lifetime earnings for those in tech who do not get laid off during a bubble burst far exceed those who do get laid off. For every one who succeeds with a major innovation due to time freedom, there are 99 who do not. Averaging means that the rational choice is to make extremely sure you don't get laid off during a downturn.

This is no doubt true, but I think that to move from high average life time earnings to the top few percentile life time earnings you probably need a level of ownership in what you do. I totally get being risk adverse but often the big rewards only come to those who take risks. Any company will always pay FTEs the minimum amount required to keep those FTEs content while products are profitable, with dividends going to shareholders. When things get rough, they'll drop the contractors first, then the more expensive devs and put projects into maintenance mode until such time as they either turn a profit or can be sold off.

smacl wrote: »
    This is no doubt true, but I think that to move from high average life time earnings to the top few percentile life time earnings you probably need a level of ownership in what you do. I totally get being risk adverse but often the big rewards only come to those who take risks. Any company will always pay FTEs the minimum amount required to keep those FTEs content while products are profitable, with dividends going to shareholders. When things get rough, they'll drop the contractors first, then the more expensive devs and put projects into maintenance mode until such time as they either turn a profit or can be sold off.

Absolutely agree with this statement. To get decent rewards, people have to take some level of risk. Contracting by its very nature includes an element of risk - especially in the long run. But to get big rewards, much higher levels of risk are needed to be undertaken. Yes, only a small fraction of these will be successful - and the remainder are likely to fail - but this is the definition of risk.

And 100% agree re dropping contractors are dropped first, and then probably cut internal costs including potential wage cuts, and potential layoffs. Companies need to make money, and if they don't they will take corrective action to resolve it as best they can.

smacl wrote: »
    I totally get being risk adverse but often the big rewards only come to those who take risks.

Absolutely yes, I agree. But timing is key here. You want to take risk when it is less risky to take risk, if that makes sense. The best time to take career enhancing risk is just at the beginning of an upturn, not too early that you've overreached, not too late that you miss the upturn.

It is unwise to take risk at the end of an economic expansion. The cards are stacked against you, it's wisest to hunker down and wait it out.

Niall

Absolutely yes, I agree. But timing is key here. You want to take risk when it is less risky to take risk, if that makes sense. The best time to take career enhancing risk is just at the beginning of an upturn, not too early that you've overreached, not too late that you miss the upturn.

It is unwise to take risk at the end of an economic expansion. The cards are stacked against you, it's wisest to hunker down and wait it out.

Niall

Yes, but if someone has been laid off/contract not renewed, and they are unable to get a new job, then the risk undertaken is actually much lower. There is no real opportunity cost for loss of earnings.
    That is why you will see much more small scale innovation happening during a recession, and as the economy picks up again, some of these ride the wave of growth, whereas others are abandoned and the founders go back to the 'day job'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Contractors aren't always dropped first. You'd assume that, but a department can have a different budget for contractors and for permanent salaries. I've known permanent staff to be laid off only to be immediately employed as contractors doing the same thing.

I'm sure this is the exception, not something to bank on though.

Contractors aren't always dropped first. You'd assume that, but a department can have a different budget for contractors and for permanent salaries. I've known permanent staff to be laid off only to be immediately employed as contractors doing the same thing.

I'm sure this is the exception, not something to bank on though.

It very much depends on the size of the company and whether the company is up for sale or not. Yes contracts tend to come from different budgets, but also do not directly impact the balance sheet. There are ongoing liabilities associated with employees.

I am sure anyone who was laid off and rehired as a contractor doing the same thing would have a clear case under employment law. The whole thing with laying people off is you have no role that they can do within the company - unless of course its voluntary in which case some people are delighted with the payout.

And yes, in exceptional cases, contractors are kept on while permanent staff are let go but that is likely to be under voluntary schemes only. Under a compulsory scheme, this would be exceptionally difficult to swing unless the skills were completely different (finance v IT or something)

• Advertisement

What has this got to do with the original query regarding contract rates and the calculation thereof?

Please move to a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

colm_c wrote: »
    IMO, there should be a bigger gap between contractor and permanent, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it for the risk.

When I started contracting in 1997, there was a massive difference.

That gap has been steadily closing since then. Many of my colleagues are going back perm after 10+ years contracting.

Dev rates have very much flatlined in the past 7 years and haven't been keeping up with even basic inflation.

That gap has been steadily closing since then. Many of my colleagues are going back perm after 10+ years contracting.

Dev rates have very much flatlined in the past 7 years and haven't been keeping up with even basic inflation.

Hiring and firing costs have fallen enormously in Ireland since the mid 1990s. So it would make sense that the gap between permie and permanent would have closed.

If they remove the 4% self employed PRSI S class, and force everybody onto A class as they are talking about doing, then that's another 6% lopped off the gap.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pavlouno

Hi everyone. I will kick this post back to live with a question, if you don't mind.

What is a current contract rate for a web backend developer? I do realize contractors would value themselves differently but I'm looking for some general (perhaps avg or range) numbers for junior and senior roles and we can take PHP or RoR stack as an example (I think those two might be on pair in terms of rates).

Search in google gives some idea of this based on various surveys but would love to hear it directly from other contractors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

You don't see Junior contractor roles because contractors are hired to hit the ground running quickly and add immediate value. There's no training and no career management. A contractor has to be at a senior level by nature.

I'd say there are very few PHP contracting roles out there because it's not a framework/language adopted by many enterprise level businesses who would be the primary market for hiring contractors.

I can't comment on RoR myself

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'd say there are very few PHP contracting roles out there because it's not a framework/language adopted by many enterprise level businesses who would be the primary market for hiring contractors.

Indeed. Businesses look for contractors when they want either a body to fill a slot (e.g. maternity cover), or they need a specialist for a very specific bit of piecework where such a specialist would be unsuited, or hard to keep busy, if brought onto the permanent staff.

There's also culture involved. Certain types of enterprise e.g. banks like to hire a lot of contractors. They see IT folk as a cost overhead. Other types of enterprise e.g. big tech, try to avoid it as much as possible. They tend to see IT folk as a revenue generator.

PHP I would suspect doesn't fit into any of these categories, hence few to no contracting roles available. PHP, if seen as a cost overhead, is probably completely outsourced. Whereas if seen as a revenue generator, you'd want all PHP folk as full time employees.

Niall

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Trying to get back into Development or Systems Administration full time, even though I graduated in 2009, I'll be lucky if I get 30,000 per year, 35,000 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭antimatterx

For my current job, I applied to them via an advert for a senior PHP position. (I was a junior PHP dev at the time). They hired me as a frontend developer, as they were really impressed with my interview, and CV (I was stunned they were tbh). They are still looking for a senior PHP dev and this was in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hear hear.

I just left contracting after ten years, because I believe a tech bubble burst is coming soon, and I don't want to be left out in the cold (again). Being permie again is weird, performance reviews, bonuses, responsibilities. But it's fully remote, and paid from the US. I cannot complain, probably the nicest permie role I've worked yet.

It's easy to be attracted by the income flexibility of contracting. But it does require you to be fortunate in health, landing new contracts, and upskilling into the right new niche skills. In a booming economy, that increased risk factor isn't so obvious. It becomes very obvious in a downturn. Also, the higher your pay relative to your colleagues, the more likely you'll get laid off, so while pay increases are great, it does make you a nail to be hammered down during layoffs.

Niall

You probably timed his very well Niall. Almost to perfection.

• Advertisement

You probably timed his very well Niall. Almost to perfection.

Well, nobody could have predicted covid back when I wrote the above. I assumed a general downturn, not such a sharp one which particularly hits only a specific subsection of the population, and not anybody else. But you're right that I had lucky timing. And, after eighteen months of development, my second only ever in my career new codebase goes live into production next month. It's been a lot of hours worked, too many actually, but it's so rare to actually create a new codebase, and see it go into service, in anyone's career. Within six months it'll be capturing all the trades in the US, live, into a millisecond-latency searchable database, and it happily can scale to global capture and query not just with today's trading volumes, but 50x that many.

As usual I can't say anything about contract rates outside C++, but they've been hopping into my Inbox recently. There was a back off there around March-April, but June has been unusually hectic in terms of recruiter approaches, relative to say June last year.

The most interesting approach I received last few months was from a fellow wanting me to completely rebuild a Dublin trading office's front end. They were an old school firm, still using Excel for everything. Pay was very attractive for Ireland, but still far lower than my present pay as a permie paid as if in the US, so I had to say no.

I was also a little scared off by the desire to use C++ for implementing a trading front end. .NET seemed to me a far better choice, especially as they wanted to integrate the current massive Excel spreadsheets.

But more widely speaking, the number of good C++ roles in Ireland seems to have greatly improved. For a while there it was just medical devices :) but now even in Cork there are some very nice C++ roles, albeit not particularly well paid. But interesting work, at least, and not medical devices.

Niall

Advertisement