Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn’t finish the leaving certificate, now 21 and wondering what my options are?

• 23-04-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My LC was in 2016, I basically dropped out halfway through 6th year due to personal problems. My career choice (music production and songwriting) requires little educational requirements so I decided to pursue that.

I’m now 21, and have been learning music production/writing at home for the last 3 years. And while I’m content that I don’t need a LC or third level education to pursue it, I’ve been thinking it might be a good idea to have some sort of qualification to fall back on incase I need it for something else.

I’m kinda confused and overwhelmed at the moment about my options though. Can I do a PLC without a leaving certification? Or should I wait until I can apply as a mature student? Can you even apply for back to education if you didn’t finish secondary school?

This is my first time posting, and I’m a little scatterbrained right now so I’m sorry if I’ve made any mistakes. I’d really appreciate any knowledge or advice here, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

VTOS offers a leaving cert for adults and those who left school early.
    Here in Dundalk the uptake is high and there’s great results.

Don’t give it a second thought OP. Find your nearest VTOS and enroll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can do a PLC without a Leaving Cert..
    Find your local ETB (previously VEC) college. They will put you in touch with your local Director of Adult Education who will know all the options in your area.

Advertisement