Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Warm this Winter

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Even though I know that you suffer with health issues Graces, you do paint a cosy picture! :)

Well it IS cosy here! Snug, safe, warm, peaceful. and now three new cats, 2 of them the most charming kittens you ever met...

A good place for poor health!

stay warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

About ten years ago a man I know was retiring from his small manufacturing business. He offered the uncle all the pallets from his business, there were hundreds of them. The man delivered them, and the uncle stacked them round the back. I insisted that they had to be out of sight. They have saved us a fortune in firing, also cut down a tree each year off the land. Almost self sufficient for fuel. Having the chimney lined and loads of wall and attic insulation has made a massive difference to this 200 year old house. Snug as a bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Haven't heard of lining a chimney before. We're still thinking of wrapping the house with insulation, its been hard trying to get quotes with a few no-shows as usual! :rolleyes: There's oodles of works out there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

When I said lining, I meant the original chimney is about ten feet across and four feet deep, the wind used to howl down, and sooty water in the fireplace. It is now piped, and the area around the pipe filled in with a gypsum granular material. It took a hell of a lot of that stuff to fill it up! No more wind, and no more stinky sooty smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

JB, no-shows are the bane of my life at the moment. I have been in touch with so many engineer/architect types recently and they say 'oh yes' and go through all sorts of conversations and stuff, then suddenly just drop out of the picture. It sounds as though I am exaggerating but honestly the number of people I have ended up waiting for a week for a phone call then giving up on them and trying the next person.

I think I have finally found someone straightforward and honest - he said clearly that he could not do anything for 4 weeks, but in the meantime has been in touch to check out things. I could be wrong about him but I don't think so, though the others didn't seem like messers but they were. Apart from one who was genuinely creepy and I dropped him - and even then I told him straight out, thanks but no thanks. Only two said straight out that they could not take me on as they were already too busy - one offered February - and they would be the ones I would go back to and wait if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't really want to continue that other saga on O & O's about tradesmen, but really its so frustrating. We have found one now that looks to have a good business ethic, i.e. turning up when he promised. We will continue with him I think but we have another meeting next week. Fingers crossed it goes well. Anyhoo, although there is a storm raging outside tonight, the temperature isn't too bad all in all considering its almost Christmas.

Advertisement