Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

• 08-04-2016 5:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So here she is my next little project :) she is a Richardson Roving Gem that I hope to convert to take the wheelchair, I'm going to need all the help I can get with this so feel free to offer what you have :rolleyes: I'm going to try and get her moved to Skerries and see if I can pick up a trailer to back her into a driveway as it's too tight to have a crane lift her in. So let me know what you think or any ideas you have. I must be mad :D

received_935553633134229_zpsuldakspy.jpeg

received_935553553134237_zpsk9u69w6n.jpeg

After a bit of a power wash

DSC_0102_zpsx3enqe6n.jpg

DSC_0099_zpshaplkpj7.jpg

Inside all stripped out now I have a blank canvas.

20160305_144559_zpsrfda8uhb.jpg

This is what she looked like back in the 70's at least the new TV won't take up as much room:)

Hos1989_0038_zps2txa6tcs.jpg

Blakes1978_001_zps0kpsdszk.jpg

Blakes1973_001_zpsckxwfs8s.jpg

Blakes1978_002_zpsl0riag9x.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭snowwolf

Best of luck with the restoration you have a job on your hands there how long do you think it will be before she is back to her old self .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And off he goes again :D

Very best of luck with it - nobody can accuse you of being afraid of a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Best of luck with it Fergal. Plenty of work to do but no better man!
    Is that a 4107/8 and is it frozen up or turning?
    Hyd drive or shaft?
    She'll take a fair sized trailer to get ger into the drive in Skerries. I'll ask around the yard here and see if anybody has one not in use but I think the only ones are yacht cradles on truck axels. Perhaps an old caravan chassis could be procured from the local minority community!! And adapted to fit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hifive wrote: »
    Best of luck with it Fergal. Plenty of work to do but no better man!
    Is that a 4107/8 and is it frozen up or turning?
    Hyd drive or shaft?
    She'll take a fair sized trailer to get ger into the drive in Skerries. I'll ask around the yard here and see if anybody has one not in use but I think the only ones are yacht cradles on truck axels. Perhaps an old caravan chassis could be procured from the local minority community!! And adapted to fit.

It's a BMC captan I think a 2.4 on a shaft and it's up and running now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What happens in situations like this, if something is left abandoned, assuming you were not taking this on? Whose responsibility is it to remove it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What happens in situations like this, if something is left abandoned, assuming you were not taking this on? Whose responsibility is it to remove it?

As far as I know she was still insured and that paid for the salvage and to get the engine running, not sure if it was the owner or the insurance that then sold it on.

If anyone has a trailer going cheep that will suit her give me a shout. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

As a possible backup there's a storage yard in donabate that people use for trailered boats abs classic cars etc. This would probably be the biggest thing up there however.

Ferris wrote: »
    As a possible backup there's a storage yard in donabate that people use for trailered boats abs classic cars etc. This would probably be the biggest thing up there however.

Do they provide a child care service :) that's why I want to bring it to my feather in-law's ;)

fergal.b wrote: »
    Do they provide a child care service :) that's why I want to bring it to my feather in-law's ;)

Genius

• Advertisement

Basic sort of layout if I can put the ramps in the sides, I would have to put in a lot of structural support in to stop it flexing.

20160308_090735_zpsttebimoc.jpg

triton1060handi-plan-g_zpszqu30nst.jpg

Another option is to build a large swim platform and put double doors or a sliding door at the back, the platform would give access off the back or each side.

freeman33sedan-int-l_zpsbf6jg72i.gif

I think access from the back would be much better it would give you some room to maneuver the wheelchair . just my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Butcher a truck taillift and make a hydraulic swim platform maybe ?

Removed the swim platform and designed and built this hydraulic lift system for it. It lifts up to 1500#, 37 inches, from approximately 10" under the water to level with the boat deck. It has both wired and wireless controls.

In the video it has yet to be permanently fastened to the boat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

I know it a bit far stretched but what about a small hydraulic hoist
    Lift on and off from any height

copper12 wrote: »
    I know it a bit far stretched but what about a small hydraulic hoist
    Lift on and off from any height

I don't like the idea of a hoist as I think they are a bit degrading having someone hanging in the air :) I will be using one in the boat to get from the chair to the bed.

Oh noooo....... what???

Came on to post a slightly o/t question (how the feck did it sink in the first place :confused:) but maybe now is not the best time?

Whassup? (please don't say it involves down.....)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh noooo....... what???

Came on to post a slightly o/t question (how the feck did it sink in the first place :confused:) but maybe now is not the best time?

Whassup? (please don't say it involves down.....)

The arrow is just pointing to my signature my wife setup a go fund me :D boat is still floating :)

The arrow is just pointing to my signature my wife setup a go fund me :D boat is still floating :)

Phew!

Jaysus, don't be giving me heart attacks like that :eek:

So.... how did she sink in the first place (I feel I can ask that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

Best of luck with this project fergal, looking forward to seeing it come back to its former glory, :)

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Phew!

Jaysus, don't be giving me heart attacks like that :eek:

So.... how did she sink in the first place (I feel I can ask that now!

She was abandoned for a long time and it looks like there was a chain rubbing against it that cut a grove in the hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Fergal is at it again. Keith hits "Follow Thread" button :) Yes!! Life has meaning once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I don't like the idea of a hoist as I think they are a bit degrading having someone hanging in the air :) I will be using one in the boat to get from the chair to the bed.

With you on that but I do think you could cause yourself a world of pain if you compromise the structural integrity. Breaching the sun for your rear platform is likely to be a lot less disruptive than cutting the side. However much depends on where the boat derives that integrity from. It may be that where the hull and deck join is where most of the strength comes from and cutting into the sides above that line to install a ramp may make no significant difference to the rigidity of the hull. You can probably see where the strength is built in.

If you wanted to avoid cutting anything like that it should be possible to. Develop a platform lift that could lift off the deck and cantilever over the gunwale on to shore. Look at an Anglepoise lamp for inspiration!

I think I will go with a 4 foot wide swimplarform like on some of the super yachts:) then cut across from where my left foot is and down to floor level, then reinforce the transom with sheets of plywood glassed to the inside with the doorway cut out sort of like an outboard transom.

20160310_115017_zpskwzqqbng.jpg

I might also remove the two back windows and move the doorway back to give a bit more outside space with double doors or a sliding door.

20160310_115329_zpsanovv0qp.jpg

I think that is the best way to go fergal .

Your idea will work great for stern to mooring at low level jetties etc. but what about mooring alongside a higher quay? - all too common on the Shannon navigation (as I'm sure you know). Most of the public harbours like banagher, hodson bay etc. will present this issue. I would do the wide platform just to gain deckspace however.

Also saw this system which is interesting:

http://www.rollaramp.co.uk/roll-a-ramp/

I remember that the seamaster 30 hull does not steer in reverse at all, which will make constant stern to mooring a challenge. Otherwise it'll turn in its own length and is very easy to drive however.

I have a solid ramp like that for the car, with the swim platform I can unload on either side or straight out the back I guess like a lot of places we go to if it's not wheelchair friendly then we wont be going there were well used to that :(

I also intend on fitting a bow thruster as I will be doing all the docking on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I think that a flat platform within the main hull, that can only be used for wheelchair access, would be a waste of boat space.
    Apart from the sliding roof, you do not have any open space for sitting out on a lovely warm summer evening :).
    If I was doing it I would cut away the back part of the cabin and have a shorter saloon and make an open cockpit. It would probably have a seat across the back, not along the sides. That would make an open space in the centre of the cockpit for the wheelchair and whatever mechanism you can use to bring it onboard (Maybe Daibheid’s suggestion: Develop a platform lift that could lift off the deck and cantilever over the gunwale on to shore. Look at an Anglepoise lamp for inspiration!)
    I would also have wide doors into the saloon from the cockpit. In wet weather you would have the connected saloon and cockpit sitting space, with the cockpit covered by a canopy, as seen in the attached photo (a 38’ boat, but just for reference).
    At most marina and harbour berths along the river and lakes you come along side, not stern to, so I would have the wheelchair access from the sides into the cockpit.
    But then it’s not my boat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You could be looking aft at this :) :

• Advertisement

Yep that's sort of what I'm thinking the swim platform will be off the back of the boat something like this with a railing.

dek-king-swim-platform1.jpg

Then cut the back off and put the door like this

french-patio-classic-craft-beautyshot_zpspp1e4pmi.jpg

Advertisement