Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow 1982

• 22-01-2009 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrBosco

1st post people here :-)

This is my back garden in Blanchardstown 1982.

Great days :-)
    3216998513_a514d87e0d_b.jpg

3216998371_83c7e9de7d_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Real nice snaps, but there's a weather pictures sub forum, this really should of went in there.

I think there's some pics of the same snow in Tallaght around my house somewhere, if i can find them I'll scan 'em in and post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrBosco

CianRyan wrote: »
    Real nice snaps, but there's a weather pictures sub forum, this really should of went in there.

I think there's some pics of the same snow in Tallaght around my house somewhere, if i can find them I'll scan 'em in and post them.

Oops....newbie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Great photos:) I hope i get to experience a snow event like that one before my time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

:eek: wow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Now THIS is what I remember as proper snow from my youth.
    Most people these days dont have any idea of the kind of snows this country can really get at this time of year.
    I remember that cold spell like it was yesterday.
    Two weeks of lying deep snow at sea level in Dalkey..hasnt happened again since and may not again in my life time..hope springs eternal though!!
    Moving to pictures forum for everyone's enjoyment :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Great pics! I guess we can only hope and dream of snow like that again :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great pics - thanks for sharing.

As Supercell said, this too is how I remember snow. Jumping off walls into snow drifts, etc. Our road was amazing in 1982 beacuse all the front garden walls (about 4 foot high), shrubs, cars, all disappeard under snow drifts so you simply had a lumpy blanket of snow house to house!

Having experinced that, it is sometimes hard to get excited about a couple of mms of slushy wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Now thats a proper snowfall :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You lucky son of a........ Just wow, now thats exactly what i dream of:D:D:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 B.E.S.T.

Was that during the Christmas holidays?
    I think we got an extra week off because of it. Snowdrifts 6` high. It was mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

B.E.S.T. wrote: »
    Was that during the Christmas holidays?
    I think we got an extra week off because of it. Snowdrifts 6` high. It was mad.

It was at the begining of January, I think it started on a Sunday night/Monday morning just before schools were due to re-open. Schools closed for an extra week.

One memory I have is that my parents had friends over the day before it started and I think the TV must have been on and there was mention of easterly gales, my parents friend said, oh we might get a bit of snow.....understatement of '82!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Fantastic pictures! I must check if there are any photo's in my family.

• DOCARCH wrote: »
    It was at the begining of January, I think it started on a Sunday night/Monday morning just before schools were due to re-open. Schools closed for an extra week.
    It started on a wenesday night actually and the schools had opened[at least down here] on the tuesday.They didnt open on the thursday thats for sure or the friday or the whole of the following week :D
    It snowed here non stop untill saturday lunchtime complete with thundersnow.
    By the thursday night my 6ft tall Dad was waist deep in drifts.
    By friday morning our road had disappeared as the snow had blown over the ditches completely filling it in.
    The phones were working down here but no electrictity as the snow had frozen on the lines the thickness of a mug and just weighted them down.

Up on the hills in the croghan area the drifts were up to the tops of the tree's,thats over 30ft high.
    Part of me was wishing it wouldnt be a once in a lifetime event but so far it has been.

Having witnessed it,I'd agree it's hard to get excited over a few cm's but hey we do dont we!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

I wasnt even born but i guess this chart shows the easterly gales that docarch refers to, so i'l be looking for charts like this one for the rest of my life.

Rrea00119820109.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Great pics, the "big snow" as it was known for years after. I remember building igloos, happy days.

Just checked - 9th Jan '82 was a Sunday - I'm still think snow started that night/on the Monday morning? BB could be correct, but that's my rcolection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrBosco

Glad you all enjoyed the pics....

ah yes...if you notice...socks for gloves...socks for gloves :D

Bullet proof!!!

• My recollection is of it starting on the wenesday night around 10pm here and then all that night,all day thursday,all night thursday night,all day friday,friday night untill it cleared around lunchtime on the saturday.

• And indeed here is the chart for the 10th which shows the artic high coming down.There was no blizzard that day-so I'd put it at wenesday night the 5th through to the 9th

Rrea00119820110.gif

• http://www.hf.rim.or.jp/~kaji/cal/cal.cgi?1982

Also according to that the 9th was a saturday not sunday meaning the artic high pushed down on the sunday which ties in with my recollection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hehe. I was born on the 2nd Jan 82. Have heard a few times the story of the parents coming home from the hospital and the weather at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

It started on a wenesday night actually and the schools had opened[at least down here] on the tuesday.They didnt open on the thursday thats for sure or the friday or the whole of the following week :D
    It snowed here non stop untill saturday lunchtime complete with thundersnow.
    By the thursday night my 6ft tall Dad was waist deep in drifts.
    By friday morning our road had disappeared as the snow had blown over the ditches completely filling it in.
    The phones were working down here but no electrictity as the snow had frozen on the lines the thickness of a mug and just weighted them down.

Up on the hills in the croghan area the drifts were up to the tops of the tree's,thats over 30ft high.
    Part of me was wishing it wouldnt be a once in a lifetime event but so far it has been.

Having witnessed it,I'd agree it's hard to get excited over a few cm's but hey we do dont we!

Snow started on the night of Thursday 7 Jan and by Friday mornig Dublin was a white out. Very vivid recollection of that day considering I recieved my first redundancy notice, still have the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Cool photos, hard to find any of the big snow. Might take a look at home for some photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

I was only 7 at the time but I remember it. I remember my father having to open the front door with a shovel in his hand ready because as soon as it was opened the snow drift that had built up in the porch would just fall into the hallway

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

there's no business like snow business,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cca13

Hello Mr. Bosco,

I am working on a television commercial. We are looking for photos of kids in snow from the blizzard of 1982. We would like to license one of these photos to use in the commercial. Can you contact me as soon as possible at cca13@sbcglobal.net

I am on a really tight deadline, so I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
    Best,
    Colleen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

was 12 and liveing in shankhill south dublin,what can i say never seen the like of it we were cut off from the world for a week shops ran out of stock esb was gone,have been liveing in hope of another 82 ever since and i get a feeling we are in for a snowy winter i can just feel it.
    heres an old boards thread on it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054920482

ah the memorys...........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

cca13 wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Bosco,

I am working on a television commercial. We are looking for photos of kids in snow from the blizzard of 1982. We would like to license one of these photos to use in the commercial. Can you contact me as soon as possible at cca13@sbcglobal.net

I am on a really tight deadline, so I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
    Best,
    Colleen

I'm guessing thats the Vodafone ad thats on now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

And looks like they didn't use Mr Bosco's snap :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO1xQ3A7Ze0

Personally I think the pic they went with is not half as good as Mr Bosco's.

And why reference the average snow in 81 compared with the Big Snow in 82 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

amdublin wrote: »
    And looks like they didn't use Mr Bosco's snap :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO1xQ3A7Ze0

Personally I think the pic they went with is not half as good as Mr Bosco's.

And why reference the average snow in 81 compared with the Big Snow in 82 :confused:

Yeah, every time that ad comes on we're all saying "wasn't that 82?" How could they get that wrong!?

Advertisement