Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Sim Card for GSM Intercom Use

• 22-05-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

just looking for the best option for sim card plan for GSM intercom use, im assuming ready to GO?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

tech wrote: »
    just looking for the best option for sim card plan for GSM intercom use, im assuming ready to GO?

All networks appear to be 35c per min approx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Take a look at your current mobile provider. E.g if both are Vodafone then you can have unlimited calls between two Vodafone units for €20/month.
    So depending on the expected usage you can decide the best option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are looking for just voice/text, Lycamobile have a package for €9 per month that gives you 450 minutes of calls and texts.

Lyca do calls for 23c and texts for 7c if you don't want a bundle.

Most mobile companies aren't really focused on calls and texts anymore, more data and bundles. Thus the high per call/text costs.

thanks all
    20e a month is alot to keep the gate / intercom on the Go!! will look into Lycamobile

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the gate far from the house?
    Would WIFi be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Roaming on a UK SIM is probably the cheapest option (at least until Brexit). Lycamobile is likely to be the cheapest Irish network.

O2 UK pay as you go charges 3p per minute to call Ireland while roaming in Ireland. You get 5% extra on each top-up (increasing to 10% after 6 months) if you opt into O2 Rewards.

3 UK are the same (but without the rewards, and you can't use the SIM in a 2G-only device).

1pmobile UK are 1p per minute but you must top up by £10 at least every 4 months.

Lycamobile Ireland have a "Talk & Text S" plan for 450 minutes @ €9 per month

So you have a UK sim card in your GSM intercom in Ireland?

danm14 wrote: »
    Roaming on a UK SIM is probably the cheapest option (at least until Brexit).

O2 UK pay as you go charges 3p per minute to call Ireland while roaming in Ireland. You get 5% extra on each top-up (increasing to 10% after 6 months) if you opt into O2 Rewards.

3 UK are the same (but without the rewards, and you can't use the SIM in a 2G-only device).

1pmobile UK are 1p per minute but you must top up by £10 at least every 4 months.

So you have a UK sim card in your GSM intercom in Ireland?

I don't have a GSM intercom, but that's what seems to be the cheapest solution. It or Lycamobile Ireland's Talk & Text S plan

danm14 wrote: »
    I don't have a GSM intercom, but that's what seems to be the cheapest solution. It or Lycamobile Ireland's Talk & Text S plan

Will look into it thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Would a UK SIM continue to work here?

I thought most of the UK carriers have something in their T&C's that says they will cut the SIM off if it is out of the country roaming for more then 3 months or similar.

• Advertisement

been on to Vodafone, and for 5e an month you can add on a 100 minutes add on pack !!

so top up with 5e every 6 months months
    and then 5e a month for 100 minutes! there isint than many callers!! 100 minutes will cover me!

been on to Vodafone, and for 5e an month you can add on a 100 minutes add on pack !!

so top up with 5e every 6 months months
    and then 5e a month for 100 minutes! there isint than many callers!! 100 minutes will cover me!

I think the way that works, is you top-up by €5 every month and then use the €5 credit to buy the 100 minute add-on.

Note AFAIK you can automate the top-up, but not the add-on, that needs to be done via the Vodafone app. Also the add-on is for 28 days, not a month!

If you have an android phone, I think there is an app that you can get that will trigger an sms from your phone once a month that would automatically apply the add-on.

Yes, they don't make this all easy.

correct, I spent 30 mins on to India CHAT! very hard to understand the way they were wording it.

I think for 5-10 im sorted!

I actually have Vodafone myself on my phone and I buy a different add-on, but the idea is the same, Here is what I do:

- I have it set up to automatically top-up every 28 days.
    - I get a SMS from Vodafone every 28 days when it tops up automatically
    - I use this message as a reminder. When I get it, I then straight away go buy the add-on in the vodafone app.

bk wrote: »
    Would a UK SIM continue to work here?

I thought most of the UK carriers have something in their T&C's that says they will cut the SIM off if it is out of the country roaming for more then 3 months or similar.

I got three years' usage out of a 3 UK SIM card here and it wasn't cut off. It was brought back to the UK about twice in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 inserthandle

Have a look at gatesim.ie ... Worked for me and no topping up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Have a look at gatesim.ie ... Worked for me and no topping up

Hi.....
    Using that gatesim.ie sim card will your alarm system send you alerts to your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 inserthandle

Don't see why not. They have a 14 day returns policy so you could try it an see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Don't see why not. They have a 14 day returns policy so you could try it an see.

I sent them an Email and the reply was

"GateSIM will work in an alarm panel, however we have a fair usage limit on the number of SMS you can send before unusual usage flags up. If you expect less than 20 SMS per month to and from your alarm system (on average), then GateSIM would be suitable......"

"If the SMS are used to arm/disarm the system, as well as other functions, then you would likely require a custom bundle......"

So if the sim is 2G I'll get one to try out.
    Yes I've just got a reply and the sim will work over 2G, 3G, and 4G.

Advertisement