Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning Maths as an Adult / Outside of formal education

• 19-04-2019 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I left secondary school around 10 years ago with an A2 in ordinary level mathematics. I have not seen a problem since leaving school. I enjoyed problem solving but lacked the maturity and discipline to apply myself.

I am trying to make up for my misspent teenage years and rediscover mathematics cause I reckon it's class and I'd like to give it another shot now that I'm a bit more mature.

Could anyone recommend good learning resources?

What I most enjoyed in school was pen, paper and problem solving. I tend to get lost and confused in lengthy lectures. I am not sure if this is a particular learning style or if a particular resource would be more/less beneficial to me.

Please assume a very low base level. For example, I recently found myself struggling to do long division in my head because of the total absence of practice. It would probably be a good idea to go back and refresh the basics. I do not have particular topics in mind that I would prefer to learn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I'm the same as yourself. A2 at ordinary level and regretting not taking math more seriously.

I reckon the best thing to do is just go through course books yourself. Take the time to learn it all from the ground up. Math is cumulative learning. So you need a firm foundation.

After the secondary school stuff, where do you take it from there?

I've looked at reading lists for first year math at university level. I reckon a fairly bright individual could just plough on that way.

Having said all that, what do I know. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Should have noticed this earlier.

The book that I always hear recommended is "All the Math You'll Ever Need: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Slavin:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Math-Youll-Ever-Need-Self-Teaching/dp/0471317519/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=All+the+Math+You%27ll+Ever+Need%3A+A+Self-Teaching+Guide&qid=1559943483&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Very cool thing to set out to do North of 32!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Had a couple of hopeless teachers in school myself which resulted in a fail. Over the past year I have been working through a book called Engineering Mathematics by John Bird. It takes you from simple arithmetic, use of scientific calculators through to algebra, calcus and higher level stuff, all explained clearly and plenty of practice exercises. I've learned more from this book than I did from the donkeys in school, and what's more, I've actually enjoyed it.

Advertisement