Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushcraft Club thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

We always like to practice new skills in the club and a bit of adventure is always welcome. We decided a while back to organise a canoe trip down the barrow and from Friday to Sunday we camped and paddled the water ways of Carlow/Kilkenny.

The Barrow is a fantastic river for a nice cruisey weekend with weirs and small sets of rapids to keep you entertained if you have the experience. If not, there are loughs you can navigate around the hazards which makes it fun for all levels.

P1010244.jpg

After getting the Canoes dropped to use on Friday evening, we set up camp on the side of the river. Unfortunately there is a lack of woodland along the barrow for our normal set up. So we were all in tents. Using the tents also allowed for more flexibility in where we picked as there was flat ground immediately beside the river at at loughs and some weirs.

P1010147.jpg

We had a mix of experience with us, from those of us who had qualifications in water based activities, to those who had no boating experience at all. Its a perfect river to enjoy and to learn on. Long wide sections with the odd eddys dotted around the place to practice breaking in to and out of the flow.

P1010171.jpg

The first day we paddled down towards Bagnelstown. No trip would be complete without a little bit of drama which was provide by Chris and Bryan. After a little bit of indecision about which arch to go through under a bridge, they glanced one of the bridge supports and capsized. Thankfully, they reacted well and kept calm. Everyone pitched in and we got the lads and the upturned boat full of gear to the bank. A change of clothes and a cup of tea helped them warm up again. After a few minutes to allow the adrenaline calm a bit, we were back on the river again. Thankfully they were able to laugh about it. However lessons were learned by all and it could have been a different story if we had been at a different section of river.

We decided against using the weirs since some people were new and others were now down to a single set of dry clothes. We hoped to do one or 2 on the 2nd day. Everyone was in good spirits and taking the scenery in. The weather was brilliant, we only encountered one brief shower at Bagnelstown and that was it for the weekend!

We camped at the lough on the Saturday. The lads dried their clothes and others got some fishing in as the evening set in. Everyone was tired from a full days paddling but enjoying the good weather chilling by the lough.

P1010225.jpg

The second day was a shorter day on to Goresbridge. Another smashing day weather wise and we got lowered through one of the loughs which was a novelty. We managed to forage some blackberries, beech nuts and spotted some Artists conk fungus on a large beech tree.

P1010220.jpg

P1010233.jpg

At Goresbridge we dropped off the boats and reluctantly finished for the weekend. It was a great weekend and everyone really enjoyed it. We will definitely be doing another event like this soon.

P1010168.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

jester` wrote: »
    I'm looking to get out this weekend and my mate said he'd drive :)

So I'm looking for a place that would be within 1.5 hours from Dublin, park up the car and walk somewhere we can set up and fish. I'll be in a hammock and he'll tent. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions appreciated, and I can get a licence if required for fishing.

Jester

Has anyone been out to Killeshandra, Co Cavan? From all my various google's and such, looks to be the only place suitable for camping and fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Looks great guys, well done!

Anyone here excited about the prospect of snow this winter!? I am!

Cant wait. I actually have holidays in reserve for WHEN it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deegs2

Crapbag wrote: »
    We always like to practice new skills in the club and a bit of adventure is always welcome. We decided a while back to organise a canoe trip down the barrow and from Friday to Sunday we camped and paddled the water ways of Carlow/Kilkenny.

The Barrow is a fantastic river for a nice cruisey weekend with weirs and small sets of rapids to keep you entertained if you have the experience. If not, there are loughs you can navigate around the hazards which makes it fun for all levels.

P1010244.jpg

After getting the Canoes dropped to use on Friday evening, we set up camp on the side of the river. Unfortunately there is a lack of woodland along the barrow for our normal set up. So we were all in tents. Using the tents also allowed for more flexibility in where we picked as there was flat ground immediately beside the river at at loughs and some weirs.

P1010147.jpg

We had a mix of experience with us, from those of us who had qualifications in water based activities, to those who had no boating experience at all. Its a perfect river to enjoy and to learn on. Long wide sections with the odd eddys dotted around the place to practice breaking in to and out of the flow.

P1010171.jpg

The first day we paddled down towards Bagnelstown. No trip would be complete without a little bit of drama which was provide by Chris and Bryan. After a little bit of indecision about which arch to go through under a bridge, they glanced one of the bridge supports and capsized. Thankfully, they reacted well and kept calm. Everyone pitched in and we got the lads and the upturned boat full of gear to the bank. A change of clothes and a cup of tea helped them warm up again. After a few minutes to allow the adrenaline calm a bit, we were back on the river again. Thankfully they were able to laugh about it. However lessons were learned by all and it could have been a different story if we had been at a different section of river.

We decided against using the weirs since some people were new and others were now down to a single set of dry clothes. We hoped to do one or 2 on the 2nd day. Everyone was in good spirits and taking the scenery in. The weather was brilliant, we only encountered one brief shower at Bagnelstown and that was it for the weekend!

We camped at the lough on the Saturday. The lads dried their clothes and others got some fishing in as the evening set in. Everyone was tired from a full days paddling but enjoying the good weather chilling by the lough.

P1010225.jpg

The second day was a shorter day on to Goresbridge. Another smashing day weather wise and we got lowered through one of the loughs which was a novelty. We managed to forage some blackberries, beech nuts and spotted some Artists conk fungus on a large beech tree.

P1010220.jpg

P1010233.jpg

At Goresbridge we dropped off the boats and reluctantly finished for the weekend. It was a great weekend and everyone really enjoyed it. We will definitely be doing another event like this soon.

P1010168.jpg

Hi guys, Looking for a stop over on the river barrow ? Graiguenamanagh -> st. mullins and about 7 miles down river in an area called tintine,Ballyanna, co. Kilkenny..nature reserve called River hollow where you will find John o' brien, (see link) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150522308824751&set=a.10150522308784751.379656.755039750&type=1 a few acres of oak,beech, birch,
    John is all about the wild..

http://youtu.be/aIoV5OESDU4 This is what John calls a work day..but it's just a day out for most of us.. About 4-5 acres of woodland and a 70ft salvaged timber fishing boat on his own landing area on the river Barrow....put it down for a visit.

deegs2 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/aIoV5OESDU4 This is what John calls a work day..but it's just a day out for most of us.. About 4-5 acres of woodland and a 70ft salvaged timber fishing boat on his own landing area on the river Barrow....put it down for a visit.

You obviously know the man?

The brother in Law

deegs2 wrote: »
    The brother in Law

We'll have to drop in next time so. Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

No prob:: I'll tell him to expect visitors in the near future so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

Any recommendations for a sleeping bag that compresses down small for packing?

I already have a silk liner and I'll be in a hammock/tarp with a therm-a-rest mat. I'll be purchasing next week so any recommendations are welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭vagabond2013

Hi i am trying to set up a kids/teenagers adventure type club.. with camping and outdoor persuits as part of the activities.. can you tell me did you have to get insurance and if so could you point me in the right direction? thanks
    P.S some good survival clips and info on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jester` wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a sleeping bag that compresses down small for packing?

I already have a silk liner and I'll be in a hammock/tarp with a therm-a-rest mat. I'll be purchasing next week so any recommendations are welcomed.
    Down is best for packing small. Where/when are you going to be using it?

Tesco Extra stores have a synthetic micro for about €30, and a down micro for about €50. I have seen the synthetic one recently in Clearwater, but they have been out of the down one for a while...

Not your ornery onager

Ive been pretty sh1t updating the thread with pictures and reviews of our weekends lately. Im hoping to rectify this in February when im less busy. We have been out and about a bit but just havent had time to do a write up

Hi i am trying to set up a kids/teenagers adventure type club.. with camping and outdoor persuits as part of the activities.. can you tell me did you have to get insurance and if so could you point me in the right direction? thanks
    P.S some good survival clips and info on Youtube

That kind of insurance im not sure about. Our club is insured through Mountaineering Ireland. It might be worth looking in to setting up a scout troop!? If you contact MI im sure they could direct you better

There are thousands of videos out there. One of my favourite channels is from the uk. These guys

http://www.youtube.com/user/naturalbushcraft

Well it was certainly a cold weekend for Bushcraft but non the less enjoyable. We snow on the east coast and temperatures dropping below zero, it was good to be out in the woods.

I arrived down to a nice surprise as some of the lads had already set up and had some Oak smoked Mackerel in a biscuit tin. It was delicious and such a simple idea. The Oak gave the Mackerel a beautiful flavour and it only took a few minutes

IMG_2847.jpg

We had 3 new faces with us which is always good to see. We did a bit of work with flint. Tony make a few arrow heads and I started my bow drill set using a flint scrapper. Also got some practice in making some feather sticks and started a 'one stick fire' using my fire steel and the feather sticks. It always surprises me how sharp flint can be and what you can do with it.

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

Tony demo'ed the bow drill and with the temperature at zero degrees and plenty of moisture in the air, the going was tough. However he showed his persistance and got the ember, finally blowing his tinder bundle to flame.

photo2-1.jpg

The new lads got stuck in and one got an ember with Tonys set. All of them had a go at carving a try stick also.

We woke up in the morning to frozen water in peoples bottles and cups.

860255_10151253874846114_1391392721_o.jpg

It was a great weekend and im looking forward to the spring edibles coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 super6

hi would just like to know if anybody on here can help me im looking to start doing some bushcraft so any info about groups or clubs that wouldnt mind beginner joining would be much appreciated. thanks

super6 wrote: »
    hi would just like to know if anybody on here can help me im looking to start doing some bushcraft so any info about groups or clubs that wouldnt mind beginner joining would be much appreciated. thanks
    Found this is the original thread:

http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

super6 wrote: »

Whats your location..?

im in dublin but dont mind traveling

i liked his page on facebook he put me on to this and the irish bushcraft club i emailed them a couple of weeks ago but heard nothing back

Hi Super6,

I didn't see any unanswered emails in there but I might have missed one. We get a lot of spam through our link on the MI site and sometimes it can fill the inbox making hard to pick out the geniune mails. So apologies for that. Just drop us a mail again and we'll reply

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Some practice

neolithic wrote: »
    Some practice
    Interesting pics. I heard of some guys who could split a match (old red top one) into eight using a razor blade and each piece would strike. It was a case of 'needs must'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

great pics lads...It looks like a good time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Hi, just came across this thread. Anyone here into tracking? Would be curious to know if there are many people out there who track regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

carav10 wrote: »
    Hi, just came across this thread. Anyone here into tracking? Would be curious to know if there are many people out there who track regularly.

There are trackers here in Ireland. The lads in Kerry teach it a bit.

Tracking is one of those skills that cannot be learned over a weekend course. All of the world's best trackers got there from spending a lot of 'dirt time' out in the woods following animals.

Here in Ireland the best way to better your tracking skills is to go to the beach and follow one of the animal trails until you find the animal that made them. The best animal to learn from in the dog. There are plenty of trails to follow.

Advertisement