Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The fact that they didn't come forward themselves, after it was much publicised says everything about them and needs to be held against them in court. **** their Guilty plea. They'll only plea guilty to reduce their sentence.

I doubt any of them will get more than 5 years. Our Brazilian community are about to get the low down of our shoddy justice system. Hopefully the Brazilian consulate gets involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭opinionated3

When I see crime like this, I sometimes yearn for a death penalty in this country. These scrotes will probably never contribute anything meaningful to society so jail without parole would be a starter.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The parents of these kids should have their social housing taken from them and given to more deserving people. It should be a privilege to live in the city centre given the vast majority of us could never afford to. Put them out in sticks somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wee Kid

There has been a GoFundMe started (I would link it but can't as I'm a new user).

But search Thiago Cortes gofundme.com and you'll find it.

It would be helpful to the family especially to the fly his body home, that is so expensive to do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    When the risk is so immense, yes. The ratios involved do not make sense to me.
    Just to be clear, cycling is not dangerous. However, having a dangerous driver on the road is dangerous to everyone but unfortunately vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrains come out worst in any incident.
    Now clarity aside, there is a risk there admittedly and whilst I abide by the law, many drivers that pass me unfortunately do not. I cannot control them, I can just look out for myself and make sure that I, as far as I can, stay safe.

However, the positives from cycling are huge. Prior to the lockdown, I cycled to work a grand total of four times this year (and that was because I had my son in on work experience with me).
    I save money by cycling.
    It actually takes me less time to commute by bike than it does by car (following the exact same route).
    I am now quite fit. I used to be a heavy smoker and choose the car for any journey. I had a massive heart attack almost five years ago (genetics :rolleyes:). My cardiologist has instructed me to do five "strenuous exercise sessions each week". So I cycle. Today, I'll cross the 8000km in 2020 barrier which is a great achivement if I say so myself (all at a reasonably good pace).
    I see things. When you're driving, you see very little of what's out there. Life passes you by. On a bike, you've more time to take in things - scenery, people, whatever.
    I now feel great. I spent 11 years driving around the M50. I spent several years before that driving into Dublin city centre. I would get home tired, stressed, angry - whatever way i felt, it was very rarely a good feeling. Now when I get home, I might be pissed off because a driver close passed me but I still feel good. No matter how bad my day was, it doesn't matter by the timeI get home.

I know the risk is out there from dangerous drivers. But the benefits are so many that I'm not willing to let some selfish drivers bully me into submission.

End of rant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Haven't read the whole thread but it is dead right that there is no real fear of the Gardai.
    But the Gardai are their own worst enemies. For years they have selectively turned a blind eye to stuff. You only need to look at the behaviour of EVERY type of road user.
    I would also think the Gardai have a case to answer on Phil Hogan - they stopped him for using a mobile phone while driving, but it sounds like he just got a caution? WHY?
    I don't want cops like America but I want them to be respected but feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

adamshred wrote:

Might wanna delete and repost that link pal, gives away your personal info.....

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

I'm always perplexed why anti-social behaviour is never an election issue, either local or national.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm always perplexed why anti-social behaviour is never an election issue, either local or national.
    because deep down we know that it will cost us and we'd rather get a tax reduction of €5 per month in any budget. Who needs services when you have a fiver :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Haven't read the whole thread but it is dead right that there is no real fear of the Gardai.
    But the Gardai are their own worst enemies. For years they have selectively turned a blind eye to stuff. You only need to look at the behaviour of EVERY type of road user.
    I would also think the Gardai have a case to answer on Phil Hogan - they stopped him for using a mobile phone while driving, but it sounds like he just got a caution? WHY?
    I don't want cops like America but I want them to be respected but feared.

I don't know if you can really blame the Gardai so much - they are only doing what is expected of them. To misquote Joseph de Maistre a little bit: "Every country gets the police force it deserves". Is Ireland an exception?

I used to work in that area and at times its a really embarrassing place to be.

Outside the Bank of New York there was a teenager in a wetsuit doing wheelies on a bicycle. Not a guard in sight. On sunny days the place was mobbed by young people who were rude and obnoxious to all around them. Meanwhile, people are trying to get to and from work.

If there is no law and order in broad daylight, what deterrent is there for anti-social behaviour at night?

I find it interesting the gardai know there were 4 occupants in the car. They obviously already have some footage of them. Hopefully they can lift some fingerprints, I'd bet a few of the occupants are already in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Very sad hearing his fiancé appealing to the driver to come forward.

Dreadful.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Fritzbox wrote: »
    I don't know if you can really blame the Gardai so much - they are only doing what is expected of them.

Id be of the opinion that the police are utterly hamstrung by the Justice system of the land. We have specimens walking around with over a 100 convictions...and people blame the cops for that fact. How demoralising that must be for any Garda that gives a damn.

There are severe issues with our system. Consider the lack of prison spaces and a Judiciary that treats scumbags like Senior infants. Lets address those first and see what difference that makes to the landscape.

Do we have any confidence that when apprehended ( Gardai doing their jobs ) these scrotes will face meaningful punishment? I dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

because deep down we know that it will cost us and we'd rather get a tax reduction of €5 per month in any budget. Who needs services when you have a fiver :rolleyes:

Cynical. Maybe this could finally be the event to finally push against these scumbags. Everyone here should contact their local representatives and make it a major political issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not sure why this has turned into a thread venting about scumbags in Dublin. There's been plenty of hit-and-runs by people with more desirable eircodes over the years. I could be wrong but I doubt they purposefully ran him over.

Complain about the lack of enforcement of driving standards and lack of decent infrastructure for walking and cycling.

Give it a rest. If you lived around here you'd know violence and lawlessness was a regular occurrence. These lads are scum. And what most want is just a proper police presence around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭spakman

The parents of these kids should have their social housing taken from them and given to more deserving people. It should be a privilege to live in the city centre given the vast majority of us could never afford to. Put them out in sticks somewhere.

Dublin bred these scumbags, Dublin can deal with them.
    Don't be exporting your problems to the rest of the country.
    Out of sight, out of mind, eh? :rolleyes:

spakman wrote: »

Well the back arse of the M50 or something, it's not fair that they get to rule the city centre. And it's been like that for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

spakman wrote: »

Yeah **** them. I live in Drumcondra but walk these areas the whole time on the way to the city. Loads of scumbags about.

They are living in an area of real prime estate living a welfare lifestyle. Let the people who contribute to the economy live there and ship these toerags to spike island or even Dunsink lane.

Gouger scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭spakman

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yeah **** them. I live in Drumcondra but walk these areas the whole time on the way to the city. Loads of scumbags about.

They are living in an area of real prime estate living a welfare lifestyle. Let the people who contribute to the economy live there and ship these toerags to spike island or even Dunsink lane.

Gouger scrotes.

No sympathy for the scumbags, just don't think other communities should have to put up with them! Dunsink Lane sounds the type of place for them alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Because if a TD says something about it, it will be jumped on by the everybody (including other politicians who want their vote) who has an agenda to push. Saying these people are misunderstood, there need to be better support services, blah blah.
    You can't tell the truth as a politician, it is just too politically incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This should be a turning point on Law and Order in the North Inner City.

It wont be. The place is absolutely riddled with scumbags. What's worse is that all the new build apartments in the docklands on both sides of the river are housing some of these people now as Sheriff st etc become full. So there's just going to be more of them and it'll get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Exactly, there's a huge middle class in Brazil, they are the ones coming here, not Favella kids trying to escape gun crime.

It's actually so embarrassing how many Irish people truly believe all foreigners with darker skin than them must be poor immigrants.

I remember going around Dublin a few years back with a friend of mine who is British but has Indian heritage, and it was eye opening and shocking the way he was treated. People talking down to him, patronising him, asking him in a slow and loud voice if he spoke English. The guy comes from serious family money, has hospital consultants for parents, went to one of the best private schools in England, studied medicine himself and there he was being talked down to by people working on market stalls and bus drivers.

The worst was when we went into a cafe to get takeaway coffees and we had to sit down for a second on the stools while we waited for them to be made, and the middle aged Foxrock type woman next to us said loudly to her daughter 'watch your bag there' when my friend sat down next to her. I was horrified and let rip at her that the fella was with me, and he has no interest in her poxy handbag since he's a doctor and his dad is a millionnaire, and she looked embarrassed but then said 'ah well I thought....because he's dark, you know' as if that was some kind of excuse :eek::confused:

I was honestly totally ashamed to be Irish with the way people carried on. Makes me so sad to think how many people saw this lovely man who was in Ireland to improve his English and thought he was just some scummy worthless foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In fairness most of us can't afford to live in the IFSC anyway, you're looking at 1000 euros a month for a decent room there.

It's what backs on to the IFSC where the problems stem from really..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Seventeen year old Guido Nasi being left paralysed by a scummer in 1999 should have done this.

But f**k me, surprise surprise, here we are. (yet again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

When Paul Murphy is elected by the people of Jobstown whilst shouting he was elected to break the law as people surround a TD's car throwing bricks and eggs at it, you know we live in a country full of scumbags.

Protect yourself and your family as noone else will.

You're on your own in this country....

or Dessie Ellis

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's what backs on to the IFSC where the problems stem from really..

Not really any more, the locals are given luxury apartments in the IFSC these days in HAP. An ex of mine owned a flat opposite NCI and many of the people living in the blocks were salt of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well the back arse of the M50 or something, it's not fair that they get to rule the city centre. And it's been like that for decades.

We have more than our fair share in Tallaght thanks.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    We have more than our fair share in Tallaght thanks.

Tallaght thinking it's all high and mighty because AC Milan are coming

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement