Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€20 Scratch cards - a step too far ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Wasn't there a €20 a ticket for the the for some draw at easter. Only 500 tickets sold or something.

Pretty sure same thing for new years too.

For a chance to win a million.

What's that game called?

Bought a ticket once, never won anything, what a waste. I was sure I was going to win it.

Well, 20€ x 500 = €10,000

If the prize is €1000,000, em, I'll buy all 500tickets.

Yoink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wasn't there a €20 a ticket for the the for some draw at easter. Only 500 tickets sold or something.

Pretty sure same thing for new years too.

For a chance to win a million.

What's that game called?

Bought a ticket once, never won anything, what a waste. I was sure I was going to win it.

Millionares draw. Think its 50,000 tickets sold ( or maybe even 500,000 :/ )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Well, 20€ x 500 = €10,000

If the prize is €1000,000, em, I'll buy all 500tickets.

Yoink :)

You literally can't lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

Work with someone, who has a degree

A broad statement, you think the kind of degree might matter? Philosophy, Law, Engineering, Microbiology, Mathematics.. some kind of media course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

kneemos wrote: »
    It supports worthy causes in your community.

I have to say i have major issues with this along with other national lottery gimics,i don't mind anyone selling any type of scratch cards for 20 50 or whatever but national lottery implies government and this is where it bothers me.
    As the above person states it supports worthy causes in your community,this is true to the extent that 33% of its profits do the other 66% goes in the back pocket of the owners of it.
    The national lottery is profit driven it is not driven to make money for good causes,i have no problem in a lottery being driven by profits but it shouldn't be called the national lottery when it has very little to do with the government of this state anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Millionares draw. Think its 50,000 tickets sold ( or maybe even 500,000 :/ )

Pretty sure it was 180,000 tickets sold.

I bought two (40 euros)....and I won.........

Nothing!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

They should at least be required to print "EXPECTED PAYOUT 50%. If you gamble €100 on the Lottery your average winnings will be €50." - like betting machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

goose2005 wrote: »
    They should at least be required to print "EXPECTED PAYOUT 50%. If you gamble €100 on the Lottery your average winnings will be €50." - like betting machines

All Lotto scratch cards have the odds written on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was 180,000 tickets sold.

I bought two (40 euros)....and I won.........

Nothing!:mad:

A maximum of 180,000 were available, around 158,000 were sold. The last winning number was actually 158000. 579 tickets won prizes from €1 million to €250. They probably think it was great, a lot of the 157,000 odd losers probably think it was a fix.

http://www.lotterynews.info/news/2014-easter-irish-millionaire-raffle-results-21573

I think the Christmas Millionaire draw sold all 180,000 tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I very rarely buy scratch cards. Once in a while I might get an urge to buy a scratch card. The most I ever won was 25 euro.

I know a girl who bought a scratch card and won a few thousands.

Last year I got one of my urges and I was at the counter and there in the ticket roll machine was a 10 euro scratch card. Thinking of the girl who thousands I asked for the 10 euro scratch card in the hope of getting a surprise was underneath the scratch surface and thinking I might have more of a chance winning something nice even if it was a 50. I was disappointed and shameful too in case family saw the card and the price on it.

Did anybody ever win anything on the 10 euro scratch cards.

I'll be keeping well away from the 20 euro cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Scratchcards are good earner if you know how to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kneemos wrote: »
    It supports worthy causes in your community.

wasn't there some scandal last year about how only a tiny tiny % of total sales ever went to charity, the rest was used by the lotto company on costs to produce and expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Our Year wrote: »
    Scratchcards are good earner if you know how to play them.

How's that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Dangel4x4 wrote: »

Don't buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

wasn't there some scandal last year about how only a tiny tiny % of total sales ever went to charity, the rest was used by the lotto company on costs to produce and expenses.

That was REHAB though ?
    Rehab lottery scratch card sales of almost €4m in 2010 yielded profits of only €9,452, according to Minister for Justice Alan Shatter.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatter-rehab-scratch-card-sales-of-4m-in-2010-yielded-9452-in-profits-29938027.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dangel4x4 wrote: »

Well if I told you that then everyone would be doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's crazy but then again they're not forcing ye to buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Our Year wrote: »
    Well if I told you that then everyone would be doing it.

:P shhhhh, we'll keep it just between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm a fiend for the Hanly Centre ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Oullads spend 20 quid on 4 pints in the pub. Oulwans spend 20 quid on a scratch card. Both get a lil buzz off it in their horrible mundane lives.

Wow, let's hope you never make it to pension age. You'd clearly be unhappy in your retirement

• Advertisement
Advertisement