Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think Nvidia are jumping the gun a little here. AdoredTV pointed this out that we are on the cusp, with ray-tracing supplemented by ML algorithms driving scene render time into the "seconds" territory. Maybe these cards, the Quadro ones have enough grunt, but I can't see the consumer versions managing the same except on a small scale.

Definitely exciting to see this tech starting to appear though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Would ray tracing even have any effect on current games retroactively? Or does the game need to be designed from the start with ray tracing in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

jebidiah wrote: »
    Would ray tracing even have any effect on current games retroactively? Or does the game need to be designed from the start with ray tracing in mind?

Just from reading what people are saying on other forums, seems it needs to be baked in from the get-go? Metro Exodus will be the first title of note to incorporate it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It needs to be recompiled, but it is possible.

e.g.
    Quake Wars by Intel Ray Tracing Research Group

Quake 2 (download link on youtube page)

Just from reading what people are saying on other forums, seems it needs to be baked in from the get-go? Metro Exodus will be the first title of note to incorporate it I think.

And it looks pretty glorious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If its not a industry standard but rather a propitiatory Nvidia implementation, I'm not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Skipping this gen - going to pick myself up a 1080ti once the prices come down (secondhand) but that's it.

Skipping this gen - going to pick myself up a 1080ti once the prices come down (secondhand) but that's it.

EVGA are doing a promo right now with an EVGA G2 850 PSU included; sell that & avoid the 2nd-hand hassle.

https://eu.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx

Rumoured specs:

RTX 2080Ti - 4352 CUDA cores, 11GB 14Gps GDDR6, 352Bit Bus, 616GB/s Bandwidth

RTX 2080 - 2944 CUDA cores, 8GB 14Gps GDDR6, 256Bit Bus, 448GB/s Bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

$1000 for overclocked 2080 ti on PNY's own website.

Edit: And taken down soon after.

Computerbase.de claiming pre-orders start Monday.
    https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/geforce-rtx-2080-vorbestellung/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've played around with it in unreal engine. Very easy to implement. Actually far quicker and easier than the traditional process.

Should be easy for devs to offer options for both methods.

Only around 1/4 of that RTX core is dedicated to ray tracing and it's equal or faster in performance to the 4 x Titan V's they had running that UE4 Star Wars ray tracing demo.

I called it a few months back on here. That real time ray tracing was gonna be here within 5 years on a single card. I didn't think it would be this soon.

Granted a very expensive card but the 2070, 2080, 2080ti should all have a ray tracing module/core since they have the RTX tag. The 2060 and below won't. They maintain the GTX tag.
    If its not a industry standard but rather a propitiatory Nvidia implementation, I'm not interested.

It is since it's Nvidia hardware based. You can do ray tracing without it but it's gonna be slow or it pre renders a lot of the stuff using ray tracing, not real time. Sadly AMD are so far behind in the graphics market I don't see them ever catching up at this stage.

So embrace your Nvidia overlords and cough up 500-1000 for your next upgrade.

TBH I'm not even mad at Nvidia anymore for all this propriety crap. They are the ones pushing things forward. It's AMD's fault for not being competitive at all in the higher end. They put all their apples into Ryzen and have practically killed the graphics division. Maybe they will put some of that Ryzen money into "Ati" now but I won't hold my breath. It's going to be at least another year before they can even compete with Nvidias last gen high end. Never mind these ones.

I really hope the pricing of the new cards is going to be in or around the same of a 1080ti at the moment. Roll on 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I really hope the pricing of the new cards is going to be in or around the same of a 1080ti at the moment. Roll on 5pm.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/pricing_leaked_for_zotac_s_upcoming_rtx_2080_2080_ti_series_graphics_cards/1

Pricing for the Zotac cards has leaked and there not pocket friendly!

Pricing leaked for Zotac's upcoming RTX 2080/2080 Ti series graphics cards

There have been plenty of leaks about Nvidia's upcoming Geforce RTX series graphics cards, though so far the exact pricing of the company's next-generation flagship remains a mystery.

Now, thanks to ElchapuzasInformatico, we have pricing leaks for Zotac's custom RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti series graphics cards, which include blower, triple fan and AMP! models.

Zotac's high-end Geforce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! is listed with a price tag of $1,199, while its lover clocked Triple Fan counterpart costs $1,169. On the lower-end of Zotac's high-end Turing lineup comes Nvidia's RTX 2080 AMP!, which is listed with an $839 price tag, while its blower-fan cooled counterpart costs $799.

Both Nvidia's RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti cost more than the company's existing GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards, with the RTX 2080 extending past $1,000, the normal price tag of Nvidia's Geforce Titan series. A hypothetical Turing RTX Titan graphics card may extend to prices of $1,500 or more dramatically increasing the cost of Nvidia's flagship-class consumer products, aside from the Titan V.

If those prices turn out to be true i'm just going to get a 1080ti.

I haven't paid to much attention to the hype train but why is the Ti version coming out at the same time as the standard 2080? Seems to me like it would just cannibalize sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

If those prices turn out to be true i'm just going to get a 1080ti.

It is a stupid amount of money alright. I wonder who they're targeting with that or if they're trying to avoid making their old stock redundant while keeping their prestige with the RTX as flagship. O_o

With the Ti card you will get a decent boost in performance but not much with the non Ti. The 1080ti is going to sell out too once the prices are announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.newegg.com/promotions/nepro/18-2503/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P1_nvidia%2f18-2501-_-https%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fnvidia%2f18-2501%2f1920x360.jpg&icid=462954

Found this on reddit! - looking forward to seeing it, just bought a rift and feel the 2080 could be my next completely overkill purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

The Nvidia show at gamescon went live.
    Edit:
    All specs are wrong....
    Now they have my attention.

Of course they are true and no surprise really.

This gen of cards was always meant to go over the top of the previous gen. Not replace it. Have you seen the die size? It's massive and the power consumption is pretty high. Third party 2080ti cards are going to be pushing over 300w.

The RTX range is a toy for developers and rich gamers to delve into different ways of rendering, handling ai and physics and for other workloads. Why pay for all those extra modules if you aren't going to use them?

• Advertisement

Just get to the pricing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    Founders Edition
    £1,099.00

GEFORCE RTX 2080
    Founders Edition
    £749.00

GEFORCE RTX 2070
    Founders Edition
    £569.00

If thats the true prices they won't need to drop the prices of the 10 series cards by much to get rid of stock, they will seem likes bargains.

Not really. These are the most exciting cards to hit the market in a long time.

Developers are going to buy these cards. Early adopter gamers are going to buy them.

It's very easy to add support for this to current game titles as well so it shouldn't take long for a big enough catalogue of supporting software.

There's a multitude of uses outside of gaming as well. Truly groundbreaking stuff. Kudos Nvidia.

game4it70 wrote: »
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    Founders Edition
    £1,099.00

GEFORCE RTX 2080
    Founders Edition
    £749.00

GEFORCE RTX 2070
    Founders Edition
    £569.00

If thats the true prices they won't need to drop the prices of the 10 series cards by much to get rid of stock, they will seem likes bargains.

For the 3rd party cards with decent coolers, you can easily add 50 -100 quid to the price.

Venom wrote: »
    For the 3rd party cards with decent coolers, you can easily add 50 -100 quid to the price.

Yes and don't forget the Asus tax on top of that too :pac:

Pre orders are going live at 7pm on overclockers so we will shall soon see what the Aib cards are priced at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Damn, I'm liking the BF5 examples.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Yes and don't forget the Asus tax on top of that too :pac:

Pre orders are going live at 7pm on overclockers so will shall soon see what the Aib cards are priced at.

Then turn that price into euros :eek:

At least they are using dual fans now on the founders editions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

2070 from 499$, probably need to add tax bust still not so bad for new Gpu.
    Im curious of test results incoming, whether its be a huge improvement in normal use besides the RT stuff.

Advertisement