Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Mandatory life sentence cannot be applied as they're minors. Children's Act legislation applies. A life sentence is available to the judge but he has a degree of discretion when sentencing. That's according to Newstalk just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

padd b1975 wrote: »
    So why is he waiting until July 15 to impose it?

To decide if they go to the crazy house or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

That's a fair point. I just don't understand the sudden urge to have their identities revealed. They can rot in their cells as far as I'm concerned. Boy A and Boy B suits me fine.

I think people who to see "who" did it less than know thier names If you get me.

It's such a vile thing they did that they did its hard to think of them as being your typical normal looking Irish 14 year old chaps.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

bennyl10 wrote: »
    All sentences for children are reviewed at 18 by the Parole board.

It’s a different ‘life’ if you’re under 18

Not for murder it can't. The trial was before the Central Criminal Court, not the Children's Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Iam just shocked that this happened here in Ireland. This is something like you read in America or in Africa where human life seems so cheap. The fact that the perpetrators are Irish kids is very hard to comprend.

Are they Irish born?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's been reported throughout that they were being tried as adults. I have no idea why there's suddenly confusion about this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/ana-kri%C3%A9gel-was-endlessly-bullied-murder-trial-told-1.3876068

'Although certain protections are in place, both accused are being tried as adults meaning “all the rights and rules of the criminal justice system apply." '

All rules of criminal justice apply

Including that as Children their children’s rights are included. We aren’t the same as America, we don’t just make children into adults.

They’re conviction will be reviewed once they become adults.(18) and they will be in the child detention center until that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Cant add anything that hasn't been said. An immensely distressing case. As the father of a boy and a girl under three im dreading the teenage years and beyond. Poor Ana's life on show for all to see, relentlessly tormented and isolated. I've been imagining how happy she must have been when she was told that the boy she had a crush on wanted to meet her, its just heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Gael23 wrote: »
    What good does naming any killer do?

Because some day I would not want to be living beside an individual that carried out such a heinous crime.
    I would not like my sons to become friends with an individual who had carried out such a heinous crime.
    And I would definitely not want my daughter to end up in a relationship with someone that had carried out such a heinous crime.

They are murderers and rapists, they don't deserve anything.
    They lost their rights when they laid a finger on that poor girl.
    I remember reading about the famous criminal barrister George Carmen QC, he was asked how he as a religious man could represent clients who were suspected of evil crimes. His answer was : “You have to approach the job professionally, like a good surgeon, a surgeon has to operate with the same level of care on all patients whether they're a nun or a prostitute is irrelevant”.

Typical arrogance from member of legal profession suggesting they performed a function equal to that of a surgeon.

Also equating a murderer and rapist to a prostitute says it all as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

RTE's Ola O'Donnell commenting on the way Boy B spoke about Ana's clothes and figure and saying this went down extremely badly in the court room. He was talking about a poor young girl who had been murdered after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Severely bullied in school.

That annoys me no end too.

Other kids involved in making her life a misery.

I think this saddened me as much as her death. No empathy or kindness shown by those kids at all towards her. Self serving bullies out to make a young girls life a misery. I don’t know, the older I get the more cynical I get about people in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Shocking case - Ana's family have been put through so much. She was obviously a victim here and it was her character that was put on a show while the two boys identities were hidden all long.

I do feel sorry (a bit angry as well) for the parents of both A and B although their actions can be questioned. I think the public's perception of the killer's parents is a bit wide of the mark - both A and B have a parent who has a 'middle-class'/ responsible type job - not what must think the families are like. In fact, I was shocked when I heard recently. It might have been too late once the deed was done but I think it could have been handled by the parents in a better way since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

The sad fact is that there are children today, now, as we speak subjected to the same level of cruel and horrendous bullying that poor Ana endured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

McCrack wrote: »
    Are they Irish born?

I presume so? I haven't heard they were not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Good. Hopefully the sentence will be appropriate. My sympathy to all three sets of parents. Rest in peace Ana.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How long are these scumbags gonna get?

Will they be moved to adult prison when they hit 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jmayo wrote: »
    Bullcr**.

The triple murderer Brian Hennessy, who raped and killed a mother and then killed her two young children in the subsequent fire to hide his deeds on Christmas morning was eligible for parole after 7 odd years.

A 17 year old Thomas Murray killed his elderly neighbour in Co. Galway just to see what it was like.
    Contrary to the advice and wishes of Castlerea prison governor and Gardai he was allowed out on temporary weekend release and 19 years later he bludgeoned another elderly neighbour to death.
    He is also prime suspect in murder of Galway taxi driver woman.

That is our fooked up legal and justice system.

What? I'd go back and read exactly what you're calling bullcrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

How many years could they be handed?, that poor girl suffered a horrible death, really upsetting to hear some of the details. Her family only want their daughter back but least it may give some closure.

RIP Ana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Reati wrote: »
    I think people who to see "who" did it less than know thier names If you get me.

It's such a vile thing they did that they did its hard to think of them as being your typical normal looking Irish 14 year old chaps.

Yeah I can understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What? I'd go back and read exactly what you're calling bullcrap.

You appeared to be under the illusion that they will get long sentences were you not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Because some day I would not want to be living beside an individual that carried out such a heinous crime.
    I would not like my sons to become friends with an individual who had carried out such a heinous crime.
    And I would definitely not want my daughter to end up in a relationship with someone that had carried out such a heinous crime.

They are murderers and rapists, they don't deserve anything.
    They lost their rights when they laid a finger on that poor girl.

Typical arrogance from member of legal profession suggesting they performed a function equal to that of a surgeon.

Also equating a murderer and rapist to a prostitute says it all as well.

I don't think you get the analogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Strazdas wrote: »
    RTE's Ola O'Donnell commenting on the way Boy B spoke about Ana's clothes and figure and saying this went down extremely badly in the court room. He was talking about a poor young girl who had been murdered after all.

I remember that being covered. Didn’t he say she dressed like a slut? How absolutely tone deaf but an insight into the mind of the depraved piece of shlt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

trihead wrote: »
    Shocking case - Ana's family have been put through so much. She was obviously a victim here and it was her character that was put on a show while the two boys identities were hidden all long.

Actually the judge put major reporting restrictions in place so that the media couldn't dig up and report on her character and life beforehand. Rightly so, imo. All that could be reported was what came out in evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You appeared to be under the illusion that they will get long sentences were you not ?

"Hopefully".

"HOPEFULLY"

Read.

In a perfect world. I'm under no illusions they'll be out to do it again before we see 2030, probably 2025.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Green&Red wrote: »
    Talk about heaping more injury upon this family. Disgusting behaviour from the parents. Even in the Jamie Bolger case the parents cooperated

IIRC in the Bolger case the perpetrators were from horrible backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I remember that being covered. Didn’t he say she dressed like a slut? How absolutely tone deaf and an insight into the mind of the little piece of shlt

Indeed.....this was a young girl who had been murdered a few days earlier, he's being questioned about her murder and he speaks about her like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He didn't.

You must also remember it's typical members of the legal profession who put such people in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Scumbag A should never be allowed out. A pure blooded Psychopath that will rape and kill someone again.

We can only hope he gets taken care of in prison.

I get the feeling boy B was easily led from the limited stuff I read and heard, found the details very hard to take. Not usually upset easily, but christ this case had me turning the news off on a number of occasions

They spoke about poor liitle Ana like that because through bullying they had completely dehumanised her in their warped little minds.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed.....this was a young girl who had been murdered a few days earlier, he's being questioned about her murder and he speaks about her like that.

They spoke about poor liitle Ana like that because through bullying they had completely dehumanised her in their warped little minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Bullcr**.

The triple murderer Brian Hennessy, who raped and killed a mother and then killed her two young children in the subsequent fire to hide his deeds on Christmas morning was eligible for parole after 7 odd years.

A 17 year old Thomas Murray killed his elderly neighbour in Co. Galway just to see what it was like.
    Contrary to the advice and wishes of Castlerea prison governor and Gardai he was allowed out on temporary weekend release and 19 years later he bludgeoned another elderly neighbour to death.
    He is also prime suspect in murder of Galway taxi driver woman.

That is our fooked up legal and justice system.

Everybody is 'eligible' for parole after 7 years
    Prisoners sentenced to 14 years or more, (including life) are reviewed after 7 years have been served.

Most people don't want to hear it, but the average time served by a person who has received a life sentence has increased relatively steadily in the past 20 years
    In 2011, the average length of a concluding life sentence reached 20 years for the first time. And the following year, 2012, life sentence prisoners released from jail had served an average of 22 years.

However, in the years since then the term of a life sentence has reduced, with last year’s average 18-year sentence in line with those reductions.

The average term served by “lifers” released from their sentences in the 1970s and 1980s was only 7½ years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/life-sentence-prisoners-served-on-average-18-years-before-being-released-1.3651950

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement